Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/14/2008, 11:23 AM   #1
drakestraw
Registered Member

Exclamation high nitrates

I did a nitrate test today with the API test and the test came out at 40 to 80ppm what is weird is the fact that all my fish are doing fine with no signs of stress.even the anemone is doing well.

i do 10% water changes once a week and use distilled water. i have a protien skimmer. i have one maroon clown one pygmy angel(new) and two chromises.

could it be to big of a bioload or a faulty test and for what is is worth my clown has been stirring up a lot of sand lately. is there any way to keep the nitrates down

Current Tank Info: 20 gal 1 maroon clownfish, cleaner shrimp. 1 bicolor angel( but only until it grows to big, then i will sell it back to the lfs)
drakestraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/14/2008, 11:32 AM   #2
thabet_2
Registered Member

my API is always reading high tried testing with other kits and all were 40-60 lower, I see allot in here about people reporting high nitrates with API without being able to find the root cause.
Stirring sand might cause this also.
I would double check using another kit before you start trouble shooting
Good luck

thabet_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/14/2008, 11:32 AM   #3
Slakker
Premium Member

20 gallon tank...eh...could be too much bioload. I would check results against another test kit just to be sure, maybe another reefer in the area has another brand of nitrate test kit you could reference against?

Oceanic 58RR display/20H sump/fuge thread...follow the red house.

Current Tank Info: Oceanic 58g, 20H sump, AquaC EV-150, 175w Hamilton 14k + 2x39w T5HO Actinics
Slakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/14/2008, 11:40 AM   #4
drakestraw
Registered Member

well i tested my water with my freshwater tests ( also does saltwater) and it came out fine. thanks for the suggestions and help. i had me scared for a minute

Current Tank Info: 20 gal 1 maroon clownfish, cleaner shrimp. 1 bicolor angel( but only until it grows to big, then i will sell it back to the lfs)
drakestraw is offline   Reply With Quote