Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > EcoTech Marine
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/11/2018, 03:35 PM   #1
zudnik
Registered Member

mp40qd wetside keeps falling off

I didn't realize there was an ecotech forum so originally posted this in the new member area. (sorry I'm new to this).

I have an oceanic 120g with starfire glass. And I just bought a Vortech mp40qd from aquacave. I’m using the ¼” to ½” spacer, although also tried just the gasket. I’ve have it on steady (green) and have tried it on low and also on high. No matter what I do, and yes, I’ve cleaned both sides of the glass, the wetside vibrates so much that it just falls off all the time. I’m so frustrated that I don’t know what to do.

I had a cheap powerhead in there (was trying to save $ before adding corals) but it died quickly so went this costly route but I’m frustrated. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

zudnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/12/2018, 08:30 AM   #2
mfinn
Registered Member

Call Ecotech.

Unread 02/12/2018, 08:41 AM   #3
JP Reef
Registered Member

Did you take apart the wetside? Mine does that sometimes if I stop it and don't clean it before turning it on. I would disassemble the wetside and scrub it in some water with some vinegar. Also, make sure your dryside is secured. It is possible for the dryside to vibrate if the cord isn't secured above it.

JP Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2018, 08:07 PM   #4
jccaclimber
Registered Member

1) I second calling Ecotech. I put 90% odds that it has something to do with your installation, but they're the experts.
2) Despite what people may tell you, you really are better off when the dry side is properly mounted. They often seem to be in the correct place, but tend to creep over time resulting in the wet side always being a bit off. I've gotten away with running MP10s loose, but long term the 40's and 60's have always behaved much better when mounted per the directions.
3) Sort of related to #2, it sounds like your wet side isn't centered correctly. After mounting the dry side (and letting it hand under its own weight), I then add the wet side, turn them on high, and move the wet side around until it is centered. Try

jccaclimber is offline   Reply With Quote