Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/12/2017, 09:22 AM   #2776
tenurepro
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmutt View Post
Scott, you get the prize for eagle eyes! Yep. Been in there for a few months. Not doing much however. I’m just leaving it alone for now.

Wow. Looks very similar. Could very well be the same. How long have you had it?

Here- I edited your shot a bit to remove the blue.. looks even more similar..

I have a question for you: I see you use tapatalk. When you post pics are they stored on your phone?

I’ve been using postimage. Com to host my pics but I know tapatalk will great it’s one link from a computer. I pretty much use my phone exclusively for going on line and I’m not sure the mobile version of tapatalk can support the third party hosting link..

any insight in that?

Thanks man; yes your edited picture looks way more accurate in terms of what the coral looks like in real life.

Re. Tapatalk; I actually don’t now where my pictures are stored, but defiantly not my phone. They are compressed and beamed up to the net and I think they are likely stored on a Tapatalk server; for example, I am on a few reefing forums, when I post an update on one forum, I simply copy and paste my post into the other forums, and the picture / links transfer seamlessly (one of my favorite things about Tapatalk). I see there are some buttons on the Tapatalk GUI for posting links and codes but I’ve never had to use it as I don’t host my pictures externally.

Thanks again for having a look!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tenurepro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/12/2017, 11:55 AM   #2777
reefmutt
Registered Member

NO problem!
I assume you have tapatalk on your pc as well as your smartphone..
I think I will look into tapatalk.. thanks for the info.

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2017, 07:48 AM   #2778
reefmutt
Registered Member

Well.. I’m trying tapatalk for the first time.. downloaded the app 2 minutes ago..
Gonna try a pic.. took this at a local shop called Planet Mer..

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
Unread 11/14/2017, 07:50 AM   #2779
reefmutt
Registered Member

Is it really this easy??
Not crazy about the interface.. but if posting pics from my phone is this easy and I no longer need a third party hosting site.. I’m in..

Unread 11/14/2017, 08:38 AM   #2780
kainic
Registered Member

Yeah, Tapatalk is really that easy. I expect more pictures incoming ^^

Lovely Red dragon, I'm looking for one, it will be my next purchase for sure.

"Every man can be, if he tries, sculptor of his own brain", Santiago Ramón y Cajal
kainic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2017, 08:43 AM   #2781
reefmutt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kainic View Post
Yeah, Tapatalk is really that easy. I expect more pictures incoming ^^

Lovely Red dragon, I'm looking for one, it will be my next purchase for sure.

Unread 11/14/2017, 08:44 AM   #2782
reefmutt
Registered Member

Oops.. still figuring this out. I much prefer going through the reefcentral site but the ease of posting pics is insane!
Too bad you aren’t close to me. I have a forest of red dragon in my frag tank!

Unread 11/14/2017, 05:50 PM   #2783
tenurepro
Registered Member

Quote:
Is it really this easy??
Not crazy about the interface.. but if posting pics from my phone is this easy and I no longer need a third party hosting site.. I’m in..

Yeah... welcome to the club!

tenurepro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2017, 08:41 PM   #2784
stonecold
Registered Member

Quote:

Think you need a new/bigger tank, Matt. Awesome reef!!

Unread 11/15/2017, 10:54 AM   #2785
reefmutt
Registered Member

Hey Nick! I agree.. I definitely need a bigger reef!
I’d appreciate it if you’d come over and convince my wife of that!
Thanks!

Unread 11/15/2017, 02:06 PM   #2786
Pife
Registered Member

Quote:
Is it really this easy??

I tried to tell you six months ago! Isn't it lovely.

I'm not saying let's get rid of all the stupid people.* I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem work itself out.

Current Tank Info: 150g DT plumbed to an 80g frag tank and 220g sump in the basement. ~6-MP40s ~ 12 ATI powered t5s ~ Reefbrites and Radions supplementing ~ Custom GEO Skimmer ~ GEO CA Reactor 6x24~ Iwaki 70 Return ~
Pife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/15/2017, 07:59 PM   #2787
reefmutt
Registered Member

I know! But I didn’t know it would work from my phone..
I actually hate the gui and never use it to view reef central or any other site, but I will use it whenever posting pics from now on.. I even upgraded to the no commercials option!! $6per year— ouch!!

Unread 11/15/2017, 10:17 PM   #2788
Pife
Registered Member

Quote:
I know! But I didn’t know it would work from my phone..
I actually hate the gui and never use it to view reef central or any other site, but I will use it whenever posting pics from now on.. I even upgraded to the no commercials option!! $6per year— ouch!!
That's about what I use it for too. It's not very user friendly imho.

I'm not saying let's get rid of all the stupid people.* I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem work itself out.

Current Tank Info: 150g DT plumbed to an 80g frag tank and 220g sump in the basement. ~6-MP40s ~ 12 ATI powered t5s ~ Reefbrites and Radions supplementing ~ Custom GEO Skimmer ~ GEO CA Reactor 6x24~ Iwaki 70 Return ~
Pife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/19/2017, 11:12 AM   #2789
drawman
Registered Member

Dang Matt you are really pulling some great colors out of those acros. Pink Matrix and FTS are looking great!

Current tanks:
30 gallon rimless, G2 radion, Vertex 130, MP10w
60 gallon rimless, G3 radion, Vertex 130, MP40QD
drawman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/21/2017, 01:56 PM   #2790
jroovers
Registered Member

Matt, I've just started to scratch the surface of playing catch-up on your thread - it really is incredible stuff! Your photography has improved over time and is top of the line - it helps that your coral is some of the nicest I've ever seen on this forum

I'm looking forward to reading further about your husbandry, and picking up some tips to apply to my own system. Currently I'm running nothing but Chaeto/mangroves in a fuge, and am keeping about 100 lbs of live rock in a remote 44 gallon brute cryptic zone, in addition to light skimming as my filtration - I liked reading about your chaeto experiences in this regard - can't wait to slowly work back and see what else is in this thread that I've missed.

Really, this thread should now be titled "Learning/Rebuilding into my Epic TOTM Worthy SPS System". You were obviously ROTM for a reason - your devotion to your tank and the hobby is obvious, and there is a lot here to admire and for other aquarists to learn from. Really, it would be shame if this wasn't TOTM sometime soon.

Unread 11/24/2017, 12:25 PM   #2791
reefmutt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drawman View Post
Dang Matt you are really pulling some great colors out of those acros. Pink Matrix and FTS are looking great!
Thanks, Tim! The tank continues to push along right now, despite the recent ‘bumps’ in the road that I will detail below..

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroovers View Post
Matt, I've just started to scratch the surface of playing catch-up on your thread - it really is incredible stuff! Your photography has improved over time and is top of the line - it helps that your coral is some of the nicest I've ever seen on this forum

I'm looking forward to reading further about your husbandry, and picking up some tips to apply to my own system. Currently I'm running nothing but Chaeto/mangroves in a fuge, and am keeping about 100 lbs of live rock in a remote 44 gallon brute cryptic zone, in addition to light skimming as my filtration - I liked reading about your chaeto experiences in this regard - can't wait to slowly work back and see what else is in this thread that I've missed.

Really, this thread should now be titled "Learning/Rebuilding into my Epic TOTM Worthy SPS System". You were obviously ROTM for a reason - your devotion to your tank and the hobby is obvious, and there is a lot here to admire and for other aquarists to learn from. Really, it would be shame if this wasn't TOTM sometime soon.
Hey Jordan, thank you very much for your stunningly generous words!
It would obviously be an extreme honor to one day have that vote but with half the tank doing well and the other half small frags, the tank it really no where near a totm.. but thank you, my friend!
Well, you were interested in more cheato stories.. I have a new one..

Here are my latest n and p numbers...
N- 40 ish
P- .3 ish No, no typo there..

I have not tested n or p in a good 6 weeks I think.. maybe more?
I think the last time I tested was before I treated with fluconazole for my bryopsis and then the subsequent small cyano outbreak which was dealt with using chemi clean..

So I mentioned that fluconazole is extremely effective at killing bryopsis and many hair algeas but I have seen lasting negative effects in my cheato as well.. it has not been the same since fluconazole. It has gone through small growth spurts and several die offs where it seems to just dry up and get thin and stringy. I have been pulling it out as the dead patches appear.
Clearly fluconazole has a wide impact on the plant life in a tank, not just bryopsis..
No other husbandry habits have changed.
On Wednesday, I added some fresh cheato to the system and will watch to see if it does better than the cheato that went through the fluconazole treatment.
Last month, I added some new anthias and have been feeding the tank more than usual and with the cheato not really working, the nutrients have reacted.

Funny thing is that I have almost no algae in the system. Not even bubble algea that was such a nuisance over the years..

I cannot remember EVER having p as high as it is right now.. my Elos High resolution test said around .3 and my Hanna egg said .37!!!!

About a year ago my n was around 50 and p just below .2. The addition of cheato back then pulled numbers way down through last spring and summer until n went below 1. Then I decided to add some no3 for a while but it climbed to quickly and I haven’t added any since maybe June..
Over the past year, as nutrients fell, I noticed a serious uptick in coral growth. I began adding much more kalk and turned up co2 on my ca reactor.
Today, even with the high numbers, demand has NOT gone down..... yet maybe it will maybe it won’t...
So, once again, I am in a holding pattern.. waiting, watching to see if the new untreated cheato will outperform the cheato that went through the fluconazole treatment...
We shall see.....

Unread 11/24/2017, 12:39 PM   #2792
Ucantwin
Registered Member

How are you dosing Kalk? I run a calc reactor and find my ph low so I just started dripping kalk but took it back off after worrying about not catching it in time if I run out of kalk or if the drip rate starts to vary. I don't want to have inconsistent ph swings when I run out of kalk.

How are you running yours? I assume you are not having an issue with how your corals are looking.

Ucantwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/24/2017, 01:09 PM   #2793
reefmutt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ucantwin View Post
How are you dosing Kalk? I run a calc reactor and find my ph low so I just started dripping kalk but took it back off after worrying about not catching it in time if I run out of kalk or if the drip rate starts to vary. I don't want to have inconsistent ph swings when I run out of kalk.

How are you running yours? I assume you are not having an issue with how your corals are looking.
I have a deltec kalk stirrer and a kamoer single dosing pump. It runs from 7:30pm overnight to 12:30p the following day. So it’s only off from 12:30pm to 7:30pm.. which is the most intense daytime lighting over my display..
It doses 9ml/minute for 17 hours. I add several heaping spoonfuls of kalk every weekend to keep it fresh.
It hasn’t been extremely consistent for me.. my system sits at 8-8.1 at all times..

Unread 11/24/2017, 03:17 PM   #2794
Ucantwin
Registered Member

Are you dosing Kalk strickly for ph, instead of just turning up your calc reactor?

Ucantwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/24/2017, 07:11 PM   #2795
reefmutt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ucantwin View Post
Are you dosing Kalk strickly for ph, instead of just turning up your calc reactor?
Way back when I can’t remember, before using the kalk, I was having chronically high magnesium levels. I changed carx media’s and restarted my reactor but the problem persisted. I decided to run kalk for as much of my ca/alk as I could and only use the carx as backup.
So no, not to raise ph but it certainly is a nice benefit. It definitely has elevated ph a bit.

Unread 11/25/2017, 12:20 AM   #2796
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
Well, you were interested in more cheato stories.. I have a new one..
Here are my latest n and p numbers...
N- 40 ish
P- .3 ish No, no typo there..
I have not tested n or p in a good 6 weeks I think.. maybe more?
Wow!! How do the corals look? (no different?)

What was N & P last time you tested? I think much MUCH lower.

Wally.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/25/2017, 07:32 AM   #2797
reefmutt
Registered Member

Hey Wally, n was down to around 1 ppm or less and p .08-.1 just before dosing fluconazole.

It’s weird.. I Really thought I posted a link to the iPhone video I took yesterday.. I guess it didn’t work..
Here’s how the corals look right now.
This video is with all lights on at about the 2 minute mark the mh turn off. Doesn’t change much..

https://youtu.be/OYCqtmjluYs

Unread 11/25/2017, 08:32 AM   #2798
westreef
Lost as usual

Very nice top down video. White sand and rich colors of the corals, just love it.

75g, ATI 4x58wT5 LED Hybrid Powermodule, AquaMaxx ConeS 1, 2xMP40wES, RKL controller, Tunze Osmolator
westreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/25/2017, 10:54 AM   #2799
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
Hey Wally, n was down to around 1 ppm or less and p .08-.1 just before dosing fluconazole.

It’s weird.. I Really thought I posted a link to the iPhone video I took yesterday.. I guess it didn’t work..
This video is with all lights on at about the 2 minute mark the mh turn off. Doesn’t change much..

Beautiful Vid. Absolutely Beautiful Matt!!

So how do I get my N & P up. Just Kidding

Well if things continue doing well, and you got rid of your Bubble algae and other problems, then things really worked out.

So you did use ChemiClean for the Cyano. I thought you opted for ZeoBak/Bacteria-CoralSnow gentler treatment. It's possible the chemi clean treatment be one cause of N & P increase (Certainly N). I never used the stuff so just theorizing.

Wally.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/26/2017, 05:41 AM   #2800
Rakie
In Memoriam

Quote:

Dosing Fluconazole has spiked my nutrients as well. My current no3 is at 50, po4 is at 0.80. Lots of nutrients from the dying bryopsis.

And as usual, everything looks terrible. Ship it all to me and start over, it's the only way

Rakie is offline   Reply With Quote