Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/06/2020, 12:09 PM   #1
OnlyTheBest
Registered Member

Tangs - input please

I am starting to gather a stocking list for my custom REEF aquarium. 560 gallons 126" x 32" x 32". I know that tang interactions are a big deal and some are meaner then others. I am planning to stock tangs first as they are herbivores and good for first fish with ZeoVit. Thank you in advance.

White Tail Bristletooth
Achiles
Chevron
Gem tang - maybe - definitely at a later date
White Cheek
Lavender
Yellow - i have heard that these school in large aquariums so maybe 3-5 depending on opinions here

Other stocking plans
ANTHIAS - plan on groups of 5 - 7
Princess
Barlett's
Randall's
Dispar

ANGEL - groups of 2-3
Watanabei
Bellus
Lamarks

TRIGGERS - pair of each
Blue Throat
Red Tail

WRASSE
Labouti
Lineatus
Yellow Coris
Brunneus
Crescent
Katherine's

Zoster butterfly

jawfish and gobies as well but i am not focused on that as i like to just see what i like and pick them up at LFS

Any other reef safe ideas are welcomed as well.

OnlyTheBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/06/2020, 10:39 PM   #2
Myles
Registered Member

Even in a large tank I would not put the tangs in first as some of your more timid /peaceful choices might have trouble acclimating.
Myles

Unread 01/07/2020, 07:34 AM   #3
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

+1^ I will tell you that I had 5 yellow tangs in my 625g and it didn't work out long term. One died, I gave one away and the last 2 have formed a pair and are working out great. For whatever reason my fish just seem to be aggressive and the norm or what should work doesn't. I only have 13 fish in my tank but they still fight from time to time, especially my Achilles and Parrotfish. Just keep in mind you may need a backup plan of all the tangs don't work out together. I would add all the tangs at once and I would also pick either the blue throat or red tailed trigger pair, not both. Typically blue throats don't work out long term as the males colors fade and they look rather drab, often fighting one another for the male "spot"

Once your tank is established it will be nearly impossible to easily remove any fish that goes into the tank, not that you haven't thought of that but it is a HUGE pain to take rock out of a tank to try and catch one fish

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/07/2020, 04:54 PM   #4
LargeAngels
Premium Member

+2. Some tangs can be the nastiest fish ever. I have a powder brown that absolutely hates my rock beauty that was added after him. Luckily he has a lot of rock work to hide in so he can avoid the tang. When I catch him that tang is going back to LFS. I did quarantine and make sure the angel was very healthy and a great eater before adding him. Otherwise I don’t think he would have been strong enough.

LargeAngels is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/08/2020, 09:10 AM   #5
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I have to agree with the above. The order of introduction is critical for your fish's survival. Tangs should be added last. You want to add the smallest, most timid fish first, like gobies and blennies. They need time to get established unharassed, or they will never make it in your tank. In fact, with your list having tangs, large angels and triggers, you're not likely to have success with any but the toughest small fish. Ignore these posts at your peril.

One of the best utility fish to add early in your tank's life is mollies, say, the first six months. They acclimate to full strength seawater no problem. If you don't feed them, they will go after your algae, even cyano, with gusto. Plus they are prolific live-bearers, effectively turning algae into feeder fish! A lawnmower blenny, possibly two in a big tank like yours, are another good algae eater.

One more thought: wrasses are gorgeous fish and very intelligent. However, they are extremely good at hunting down every living small critter in your tank, leaving your substrate and rocks lifeless. So if you are trying to establish a functioning ecosystem, I would avoid them. If that's not a priority, then wrasse it up!

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/08/2020, 08:28 PM   #6
Fiish
Registered Member

I would also add, reduce the population of surgeon fish, Achilles surgeon is a beautiful fish but also aggressive, just talking about it. The school of yellow tangs that you want to maintain, I don't see very possible either. I would reduce the population to only 2 or 3 tangs. Be careful with Genicanthus spp. choose a couple or two species of couples, these angels sometimes just do not tolerate each other.

Fiish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/08/2020, 09:39 PM   #7
five.five-six
Registered Member

I have vlamingi, scopas, clown and 5 yellows in my 225. They get along fine. Granted it’s only been 2 years and the yellows just about 6 month ago but so far so good.

There was trouble when I added the yellows but I used the mirror trick for a week and now they get along like brothers. Occasional squabbling but nothing serious.

"I hate that hole"

Current Tank Info: SCMAS Member 225 peninsula euroreef RS180 Apex 400W X 3 20k radiums / Spectra mixed SPS
five.five-six is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/10/2020, 11:01 AM   #8
Vanpire
Registered Member

I have 11 tangs in my 300 gallon and all are getting along. I have 3 yellows, 2 blues, 2 purple and 1 of each of the following: sailfin, powder blue, yellow-eye kole, blonde naso. Planning to add a Gem soon. Most of the tangs were the first fish I added. I guess some tangs might be nasty but I have had very good experience with them in my 10+ years with tangs.

Love these guys. Colorful, easy, reef-safe, useful and relatively inexpensive.

Unread 01/11/2020, 12:44 AM   #9
OrionN
Moved on

I have a PBT, Yellow and Purple tang in my 320. Don’t have much problem. I also have a Harlequin Tust, two Regal Angels and 4 Flame angels. In addition to these I have a bunch of wrasses and a Mandarin pairs.
My tangs has not occasionally fight among themselves but not much. They pretty much ignored all the other fishes except the other tangs.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/11/2020, 08:02 PM   #10
Fiish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
I have a PBT, Yellow and Purple tang in my 320. Don’t have much problem. I also have a Harlequin Tust, two Regal Angels and 4 Flame angels. In addition to these I have a bunch of wrasses and a Mandarin pairs.
My tangs has not occasionally fight among themselves but not much. They pretty much ignored all the other fishes except the other tangs.
What process did you use to add 4 flame angels? How did you set the fish to avoid the death fights of 4 specimens?

Unread 01/11/2020, 10:02 PM   #11
OrionN
Moved on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiish View Post
What process did you use to add 4 flame angels? How did you set the fish to avoid the death fights of 4 specimens?
Flame angels are protogynous hermaphrodites. Recent literatures form hobbyist and from scientific journal also indicated that male flame angel will revert back to female if there is another more dominate male is around. Furthermore, flame angles are dimorphic so flame angels can be easily sexed. In a reasonably large tank with adequate live rocks, one can add multiple females and one male, or else added multiple females. In both of these situations, you will end up with a harem of flame angels like I have. If your tank is large enough, you can even add several males, and all but 1 will revert back to being females. Multiple males will fight a lot, so I do not recommended that you put more than 1 male in a tank.

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip

Last edited by OrionN; 01/12/2020 at 12:16 AM.
Unread 01/12/2020, 03:59 AM   #12
aikenreefkeeper
Registered Member

Minh,

Have you had any problems with your Flame Angles bothering your corals? I was wanting to add a Flame to my Mixed Reef.

Thanks,

Dean

aikenreefkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/13/2020, 05:54 AM   #13
OrionN
Moved on

Quote:
Originally Posted by aikenreefkeeper View Post
Minh,

Have you had any problems with your Flame Angles bothering your corals? I was wanting to add a Flame to my Mixed Reef.

Thanks,

Dean
My Angels, both Flame and Regal, do pick at SPS sometime but not enough to kill anything. They likely have less PE except at night due to my angels. I cannot keep any Xenia in my DT, but in the sump they grow just fine. Again I think the angels are the problem. I put up with them because I do love them a lot. Other than that, no problem. Hope my Regals will pair soon. They are slow grower. I got them at just about 1.25-1.5 inches 18 months ago. They are just now loose their juveniles spots and get slightly larger than my male Flame angel.

Unread 01/16/2020, 08:24 PM   #14
Fiish
Registered Member

Quote:
Flame angels are protogynous hermaphrodites. Recent literatures form hobbyist and from scientific journal also indicated that male flame angel will revert back to female if there is another more dominate male is around. Furthermore, flame angles are dimorphic so flame angels can be easily sexed. In a reasonably large tank with adequate live rocks, one can add multiple females and one male, or else added multiple females. In both of these situations, you will end up with a harem of flame angels like I have. If your tank is large enough, you can even add several males, and all but 1 will revert back to being females. Multiple males will fight a lot, so I do not recommended that you put more than 1 male in a tank.
Thank you. I have a flame angel in a 65 gallon tank, I would love to get another pair and add them with a process similar to yours, this action could be done in a 130 gallon tank, but it is still my idea, this is not fully insured.

Unread 01/16/2020, 09:07 PM   #15
OrionN
Moved on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiish View Post
Thank you. I have a flame angel in a 65 gallon tank, I would love to get another pair and add them with a process similar to yours, this action could be done in a 130 gallon tank, but it is still my idea, this is not fully insured.
I would add one or two small Flame angels. You don’t have to add at the same time. When ever you. An get them would be fine. There will be minimal fighting if any when you add juveniles or females.

Unread 01/19/2020, 05:59 PM   #16
Fiish
Registered Member

Quote:
I would add one or two small Flame angels. You don’t have to add at the same time. When ever you. An get them would be fine. There will be minimal fighting if any when you add juveniles or females.
The only problem is that my angel flame is already established and has 3 years in my tank, the guy is already quite aggressive with the other fish. Adding the new youth pair in the future and presenting them to the tank separately to the other angel would be my idea, after the quarantine, of course. I think it would be a tip that the same copps would recommend.

Unread 01/19/2020, 09:47 PM   #17
OrionN
Moved on

You don't have to worry. Male Flame angel will not chase a female Flame angel, except very mildly to show dominance. Two females will chase each other a little bit more, never to the point of injury, or tear fins.

Unread 01/20/2020, 08:30 PM   #18
Vanpire
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanpire View Post
I have 11 tangs in my 300 gallon and all are getting along. I have 3 yellows, 2 blues, 2 purple and 1 of each of the following: sailfin, powder blue, yellow-eye kole, blonde naso. Planning to add a Gem soon. Most of the tangs were the first fish I added. I guess some tangs might be nasty but I have had very good experience with them in my 10+ years with tangs.

Love these guys. Colorful, easy, reef-safe, useful and relatively inexpensive.
I just added a smaller kole tang. He is the smallest of the tangs, but so far, he is doing great. Knock on wood. Still waiting on the gem tang. Not yet received delivery.