Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/30/2019, 06:46 PM   #1
Jmason95
Registered Member

Osmolator sensor issue

Hi Roger,

I have an Osmolator 3155 that I bought last month, and set up last week that is not functioning correctly. I think something is wrong with the sensor. It will sense when water is needed, but it continues to fill up water until the safety shut-off is triggered and alarm sounds, turning off the water. This is the second Osmolator I own, so I understand how to set them up. I’ve unplugged it a couple times and that hasn't helped. I’ve adjusted the height of the sensor which hasn’t helped. There’s are no bubbles or anything that would interfere with the sensor, and the sensor isn’t dirty. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Current Tank Info: 35x28x20 starphire Lee Mar
Jmason95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/01/2019, 08:57 AM   #2
rvitko
RC Sponsor

Try the tests described in point 2, a couple years ago they updated the mold for the sensor and increased the polish, this adds to the accuracy and durability but makes them hyper sensitive when new. Usually this resolves itself by a couple days sitting in salt water provided it checks out by the test below and the top off hose is not near the sensor as it is a source of bubbles.

1) A siphon, if it is a siphon the issue will be seemingly random, it will tend to only occur when the reservoir is full and the water will fill to a level possibly above or just below the float. Siphon situation 3 is the most probable cause but note as shown in 4 that a
loop will not solve it, the end of the hose must always terminate above the reservoir water level.

Siphon-Situations-688x459.png

2) A sensor issue. The first test is to use the self diagnostic test on the Osmolator to verify the sensor is in working order.

1) With the sensor completely wiped dry, plug in the controller. The sensor MUST be clean and dry for this test to work, a wet or dirty sensor will always fail.
2) All 4 lights will flash and it will beep, a single light will show for a couple seconds and then the normal 15-20 second pump run at startup will begin.
3) This light that is on a couple seconds is the optic sensor status, green means pass, yellow means it is marginal, red means it failed.

Assuming it passes the self test the issue is bubbles, optic sensors work by detecting the refraction of air vs water and make no differentiation between a bubble or being dry. The most overlooked source of bubbles is placing the top off hose in the vicinity of the sensors, the incoming splash will introduce bubbles and cause a fill. The hose can be routed to any area of the sump or main tank, and the optic sensor must be in a calm and bubble free area. A definitive test to verify bubbles are the cause is if you can catch it in the act of an overfill and wipe your finger across the sensor and filling stops within 5 seconds, the cause was bubbles.

3) There is a 3rd possibility but this is relatively obscure and only will apply to tanks under 50 gallons or due to a misunderstanding of how the Osmolator works. The Osmolator has timed functions in addition to sensor controlled functions and for the first 25-30 seconds it is not actually detecting water levels and is instead running a series of self diagnostic tests. The pump will always run for 15-20 seconds when you first power it up, this is so the installer can verify the pump is operational and the pump and tubing are primed and ready to fill. Also, the Osmolator always waits 5 seconds to fill to account for waves and surface movement and overfills for 5 seconds so the pump is cycled on less often. If the tank is under 50 gallons you need to open the controller and reduce the pump speed to “nano” and if it is under 30, an additional restriction such as a drip irrigation valve might be needed, this will reduce the amount of water added by these timed sequences to avoid raising the float.

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon planted tank with Altum Angelfish
rvitko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/01/2019, 10:37 AM   #3
Jmason95
Registered Member

Thanks for all the info. It's on a 20 gallon IM Peninsula tank, so that may be the issue. The hose dumps the fresh water out about 4 inches from the sensor in the rear compartment of the tank. I'll move the hose and have it dump directly into the tank, instead of the rear chamber, because it may be a combination of bubbles and the fact it goes an extra 5 seconds when filling. I'll also set the pump speed to nano.

Unread 04/01/2019, 10:45 AM   #4
rvitko
RC Sponsor

Generally on a tank under 30 gallons nano speed is still not slow enough, so I would consider adding a two little fishies micro valve or a drip irrigation valve at the end of the hose to further slow the flow rate.

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon planted tank with Altum Angelfish
rvitko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/01/2019, 11:12 AM   #5
Jmason95
Registered Member

Alright, I will give that a try too. Thanks again.