Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Other Invertebrates
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/14/2012, 08:06 PM   #1
Kitsune_Gem
Registered Member

Sea Urchin Id?

So I finally got around to setting up my nano shrimp tank. Went in and saw that my LFS had taken down their main display tank, to clean it out, and do something new with it. So I picked up a bit of rock that I have always loved. Now they had Urchins in the tank, that where with corals, and other things, so I'm assuming this little one isn't going to bother any one, but I would like to know what it is and how to take good care of him... He was stuck to the rock that I wanted from the old tank and they couldn't get him off so I got him for free. : )

I never planed on getting an Urchin in any of my tanks, so I never really looked into them.. Any help would be nice. If he cant live in my shrimp tank Ill move him to another tank of mine.

Kitsune_Gem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2012, 06:55 AM   #2
GerritM
Registered Member

Itīs a Echinometra sp.

ps: sorry for my english. I hope you understand, what i mean. ;-)
GerritM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2012, 02:24 PM   #3
Kitsune_Gem
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerritM View Post
Itīs a Echinometra sp.
Thank you : )

Any clue on how to care for it? He was out and about happy as a clam last night, and is in his little hidey hold now, still moving his little um Im not sure what to call them.. Spikes? around, Hes rather cute and Im rather attached.

Unread 01/15/2012, 02:54 PM   #4
Kitsune_Gem
Registered Member

I think I found what one it is, but I'm not sure, the site info was in French and the translation was a bit off, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Also if this is what my little one is, is it reef safe?

Class: Echinoidea
In class: -
Order: Temnopleuroidae
Genre: Echinometra Gray, 1825
Species: mathaei
1st Description: Blainville, 1825
Distribution: Red Sea and Indo-Pacific, to Hawaii.
Description: manners rather night, this little urchin lives in groups in the natural environment. Diameter: about ten cm, including spines.
Features: E. mathaei feeds mainly on algae, but does not mind a piece of mussel or fish meat.
With maintenance of invertebrates secured, it will find its place in a reef aquarium. As with any urchin careful not to subject it to impact water quality. Is not destructive of the decor.
Reproduction multiplication takes place according to the lunar cycles. Males and females release their gametes simultaneously.

Unread 01/15/2012, 04:34 PM   #5
GerritM
Registered Member

My both Echinometra viridis and E. mathaei are reef save. No Problems in the last 5 years with corals or any other inverts. But they could throwing down not enough fixed live rocks or corals.

ps: sorry for my english. I hope you understand, what i mean. ;-)
GerritM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2012, 04:41 PM   #6
Kitsune_Gem
Registered Member

What should I feed him?

Unread 01/15/2012, 04:54 PM   #7
gmate
MASC Member

It'll eat mostly algae but you can spot feed mysis or cut up krill/silverside directly into the mouth if you want to feed him.

180, 90 and 50 gallon reef ready systems. Fragging & trading since 2010.

Current Tank Info: 180g, 90g & 50g frag tank
gmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2012, 04:58 PM   #8
Kitsune_Gem
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmate View Post
It'll eat mostly algae but you can spot feed mysis or cut up krill/silverside directly into the mouth if you want to feed him.
Theres no algae in the tank currently, should I supplement with something?

Ive got the sliversides, for another fish in another tank

Unread 01/15/2012, 05:22 PM   #9
donya
Registered Member

You can try dried seaweed from the LFS, or "nori" at the grocery store. You'll need to stick it somewhere and not just let it blow around, so either anchor it with a rock/magnet or, if you're lazy like me, wet a strip and stick it to the side of the tank just above the waterline with half of it dangling into the water and half is stuck to the glass. Your urchin should be able to go pluck the seaweed down and eat it easily if it's hungry. If you use the lazy approach, I recommend doing it at the same time of day each time to help train the urchin to go there when hungry. That way if you walk in the room and there is an urchin in the "feeding spot" pawing at the surface, you know it needs more food and it is also very easy to target feed.

Current Tank Info: 3 fw tanks (2x20g and 1g), 10 sw tanks (0.9g, 3x1g, 1.5g, 3g, 5g, 10g, 20g, 55g)
donya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2012, 06:40 PM   #10
Kitsune_Gem
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donya View Post
You can try dried seaweed from the LFS, or "nori" at the grocery store. You'll need to stick it somewhere and not just let it blow around, so either anchor it with a rock/magnet or, if you're lazy like me, wet a strip and stick it to the side of the tank just above the waterline with half of it dangling into the water and half is stuck to the glass. Your urchin should be able to go pluck the seaweed down and eat it easily if it's hungry. If you use the lazy approach, I recommend doing it at the same time of day each time to help train the urchin to go there when hungry. That way if you walk in the room and there is an urchin in the "feeding spot" pawing at the surface, you know it needs more food and it is also very easy to target feed.

Ive got plenty of dried seaweed for the other tank, Ill just steal a thing of that : ) Thank you!

Unread 01/16/2012, 01:15 PM   #11
goldenfamaliy
Registered Member

I Stick a bit in the rock after the lights go out and it will find it and clean it up real good. The urchin I have is a pencil urchin. It was a hitch hiker I found when it was the size of a dime! Now a golf ball size. Will try to get a good pic of it. We call it Bill.

Current Tank Info: Solana, MP10es w, Ecotech radion, water, salt, pretty colored thingys
goldenfamaliy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2012, 09:09 PM   #12
Kitsune_Gem
Registered Member

I might have to name mine Charlie, if yours is Bill xD

Unread 01/18/2012, 03:35 PM   #13
goldenfamaliy
Registered Member

Here is bill

Current Tank Info: Solana, MP10es w, Ecotech radion, water, salt, pretty colored thingys
goldenfamaliy is offline   Reply With Quote