Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Responsible Reefkeeping
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/08/2007, 07:08 PM   #76
battplus
Registered Member

go to:

www.rbrc.com

This site will provide you with local drop sites.

battplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/27/2007, 02:14 PM   #77
roblack
Registered Member

All of this really ****es me off. Just left the beach and there's plastic bags in the water, on the beach, and all over the rocks, mixed with beer cans and other crap. While I get upset with the local homeless and fishermen on the beach, the problem is much bigger than the local threat. So I pull the trash that I can out of the ocean all the while realizing that it probably doesn't matter much. Maybe I help out a sea turtle or 2, who knows? Happy to recycle some batteries!

roblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/27/2007, 02:18 PM   #78
roblack
Registered Member

Is there a place to recycle/dispose of non-rechargeable batteries? You know, the regular ones.

Unread 09/29/2007, 01:10 AM   #79
NanoCube-boy
Registered Member

umm... Radioshack, Bestbuy...

NanoCube-boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2007, 06:05 AM   #80
DgenR8
I'm an American
and I remember

Quote:
Originally posted by roblack
While I get upset with the local homeless and fishermen on the beach, the problem is much bigger than the local threat. So I pull the trash that I can out of the ocean all the while realizing that it probably doesn't matter much. Maybe I help out a sea turtle or 2, who knows? Happy to recycle some batteries!
If everyone thought that their little contribution made a difference, and everyone made that contribution, there would be no pollution.
If everyone thought their contribution wouldn't make a difference, and decided not to make that contribution, we'd be up to our ears in garbage.
The problem could be much, much worse than it is now, but it could also be a whole lot better. Every time you toss something into a trash can, rather than littering, you help. If you pick up someone else's trash, you help more. When somebody sees you pick up another person's trash, and gets inspired to do so themselves, you begin to change the world.

Dunder Mifflin

Current Tank Info: Unknown slow drip, over 20 years damaged my house and heating system. No more tank.
DgenR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2007, 10:59 AM   #81
NanoCube-boy
Registered Member

Dgenr8, I agree.

Unread 10/28/2007, 04:42 PM   #82
nrstype
Premium Member

Well said DgenR8 ! Well said.

Current Tank Info: SW = 27g Reef, 10G Nano reef, 5g PICO reef, with fish, LR, Inverts, LPS, SPS, Softies and all kinds of critters.
nrstype is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/28/2007, 05:06 PM   #83
roblack
Registered Member

Thanks Larry and all others, I'll keep at it!

Unread 03/15/2008, 10:48 PM   #84
redline
Registered Member

you can also go to cell phone stores like Sprint, and just ask for a phone recycling bag, and drop them in and it's postage paid, so put it in the mailbox.

redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/05/2008, 07:05 AM   #85
bigfun
Registered Member

Larry,
I could not agree more! When I see someone littering, I yell at them to clean it up, or just go clean it up myself! One person CAN make a change! Lead by example!!
I decrease my "footprint" every chance I get!! Re-usable bags for my groceries, bulk packaging for my foods, there are a million things you can do! And a million websites that will help you!!

Current Tank Info: 20 gal long, 10 gal fuge
bigfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/30/2008, 11:10 AM   #86
Robka
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Vincerama2
...Just wait until eco-friendly electric cars and hybrids become more popular. Will that mean even more battery dumping?

V
The batteries in Hybrid vehicles are recyclable. Gas guzzling car salesman like to use this argument to steer people away from trying to do their part to keep this planet alive. I am currently looking into a system wind/solar that not only will power my house and take me off the grid, but also sell energy back to the electric company for a profit Payback is only 5 years and then my aquarium will be truly ECO-FRIENDLY

P.S. Taking care of our planet is not a political issue. It is about providing our children, grandchilden, etc. with a beautiful place to live

Robka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2008, 11:49 AM   #87
jasonm
Registered Member

A little really does go a long way, I just wish more people care about the effects of their actions....

jasonm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2008, 12:53 PM   #88
NanoCube-boy
Registered Member

Yea a little does goes well in a long run, but people doesn't understand it because they think a little can do no harm. They don't understand the consequence in the long run and if thousand peoples team up together and throw one batteries improperly, then the ocean will be filled with toxin acid. In reality, that's what happen, they doesn't know that they are team up harm the world.

It's like walking a street, throwing a wrapper on the floor, saying it's just a small candy wrapper, but there are other trash on the floor too. Doesn't really understand that our planet is there home, home to everyone. Damaging our fragile ocean, the start of food chain, can lead to extinction of life.

Unread 01/19/2009, 10:20 AM   #89
Rich D
Registered Member

what people dont realize is that the coral reefs are not only a magnificent wonder of nature, but they also protect the shorelines from tsunamis, without a reef the tsunamis would not break and slow down; instead they would break right at the shore destroying much more than they already do today.

Current Tank Info: 120 display 40 gallon approx. sump
Rich D is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/19/2009, 01:04 PM   #90
NanoCube-boy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bubbles129129
what people dont realize is that the coral reefs are not only a magnificent wonder of nature, but they also protect the shorelines from tsunamis, without a reef the tsunamis would not break and slow down; instead they would break right at the shore destroying much more than they already do today.
Is that right? How do you know that?

Unread 01/19/2009, 03:55 PM   #91
Rich D
Registered Member

yes, totally true; a healthy gives an island coastline at least twice as much protection as a dead reef. check it out

http://www.princeton.edu/main/news/a...n=newsreleases

Unread 01/19/2009, 04:39 PM   #92
NanoCube-boy
Registered Member

Oh wow, that's really a saver.

Unread 01/26/2009, 07:49 PM   #93
fishguy86
Registered Member

ok so if we all pick up trash the next time we see any .. the world will be beter off .. so do your part ,,, talk is cheap ..i promise to do mine!

fishguy86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2009, 02:48 PM   #94
Rich D
Registered Member

hahaha im turning 16 soon and I tried to get my mom to let me trade our station wagon that im going to get for a smartcar but she wont let me

Unread 08/15/2009, 11:26 PM   #95
reefamundo
Registered Member

Thanks for the tip on where to recycle old batteries. I've got literally dozens of locations within 20 miles of my house. I will do what I can. Thanks.

reefamundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2009, 11:48 PM   #96
richardhmc
Registered Member

Just comes to show how much we really need the reefs.

What was the picture ? I can't see it

richardhmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2009, 10:42 AM   #97
battplus
Registered Member

I think on page 2 there is a link to the site where the picture was. It's been a while so I am not sure if they still have it? It was a pic of dozens of batteries from a lighthouse that had been discarded into the water.

Current Tank Info: 75 gallon Leemar eurobraced with 2-MP10, reefkeeper 2, 2-250w Ushio 20k and 4 4ft T5 actinics, Euroreef skimmer
Unread 12/08/2009, 02:00 PM   #98
dskrezyna
Registered Member

When I saw the title I was thikning the smaller batteries, not the ones used in cars. Invest in a battery charger and use Eneloop rechargeable batteries. They are the best out there. i use them in all my photography equipment. Everytime I see those sales bins with Energizer or Durcell non-rechargeable batteries, I cringe.

Unread 12/08/2009, 02:43 PM   #99
battplus
Registered Member

Nice, that's interesting, I have never heard of that brand of rechargeable. I used to manage several battery stores, and we recycled everything. I agree the Duracell and Energizer is not very good, your paying for the advertised name, not quality.

Current Tank Info: 75 gallon Leemar eurobraced with 2-MP10, reefkeeper 2, 2-250w Ushio 20k and 4 4ft T5 actinics, Euroreef skimmer
Unread 12/08/2009, 02:48 PM   #100
dskrezyna
Registered Member

I buy them on eBay; usually an 8-pack for $30.