Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/19/2019, 05:47 AM   #1
Rafty
Registered Member

Best approach to new tank introductions

Hi

Just after advice. I am new to this fantastic hobby/obsession. My system was setup by an experienced provider who has fully stocked the tank which is now 7 months old. Slowly one by one hammer corals have started to die slowly. No idea what is killing them although suspect worms. I have had them treated with levamisole with not much coming out and not sure I will ever figure it out. All water parameters perfect.

Question I have is what is the best approach to introducing new stock because I feel this is probably the key. People talk about containment tanks but not really in a position to have a seperate system maintained and not sure if the secondary tank can be plumbed to the primary. I suspect not.

Anyway just interested in people’s thoughts and ideas about keeping all inhabitants healthy and happy because right now I can see $$$$ with the rate of loss and really would like to get to a point that all inhabitants remain healthy and die of age rather than disease...if this is ever possible that is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rafty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2019, 06:11 AM   #2
FishAndPhysics
Registered Member

Can you post water parameters? What made you think it was a worm infection? What corals do you have in the tank other than the hammers?

In terms of qt systems, the people who qt corals generally just have a 10g or so nano-reef set up as a qt. Not connected to the main system. It should also be separate from your fish qt system, because many of the treatments for fish are toxic to inverts.

Unread 02/19/2019, 06:30 AM   #3
Rafty
Registered Member

Salt 1.025
Phosphate 0
NO3 0.25
KH 10
Ca 430
Mg 1500

Regarding worms, thought I saw a small white flat worm. Also with previous treatments worms were seen. Not sure what else could suddenly cause it.

Regarding corals I have
Trachys, chalices, daisy coral, lobofilia, gonies, fungis, zoa, leather coral, acro, blastomussa, morphs, slipper corals, cataphilia and torch light.

It has only really been the hammers that have been dying. Some have minor decay and the stop and others loose half their volume and stop. I have had one torch light that has turned to brown slime in 24 hrs with complete loss.

The tank is connect to ozone with ORP at 400 and has a protein slimmer and UV steriliser.

Attached is picture of affected coral.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rafty is offline   Reply With Quote