Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/14/2012, 03:28 PM   #1276
CanuckReefer
Registered Member

Just so you guys know, i found shooting boiling hot water through a syringe at the aiptasia seemed to kill them almost instantly.

This works only for the ones you can see obviously.

CanuckReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/14/2012, 05:56 PM   #1277
Susan Lohrer
Registered Member

Hmm. After much further googling, omitting algae as a search term and replacing it with roots, I think maybe my white stuff could be a sponge and harmless. But I would dearly love confirmation in case it's a a nuisance organism.

Susan Lohrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/14/2012, 05:58 PM   #1278
SushiGirl
Premium Member

ChicagoJoe, interesting how that nem started out. The pics you posted back then looked just like a baby bubble coral that I had start on a bubble coral skeleton.

Susan, the white stuff is likely foraminiferans, harmless.

Current Tank Info: 55g softy/LPS tank & 20L reef tank
SushiGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/14/2012, 07:48 PM   #1279
Nemo8808
Registered Member

Nerite snail eggs

Hi,
I have some nerite snail eggs that were just layed all over my live rock and a couple on the glass, will these actually hatch?

Nemo8808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/14/2012, 08:17 PM   #1280
SushiGirl
Premium Member

Not usually.

Unread 09/15/2012, 06:39 PM   #1281
chicagojoe
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SushiGirl View Post
ChicagoJoe, interesting how that nem started out. The pics you posted back then looked just like a baby bubble coral that I had start on a bubble coral skeleton.
Oh no, I didn't clarify myself completely when I posted, it wasn't mine it was Mr.Demeanor that posted originally. It's my interpretation of his image and mine that lead me to believe we had the same thing. We just have similar things and that's why I asked what I had. (cause I've been known to be wrong once, think i was 3 at the time... )

ok, I thought this was dead at the store so I wasn't worried about it getting harmed during cycle, but last night it came to life.

What is this, I've looked at Coral ID sites 1 and 2 and Sponge ID, but can't find it so I assume it's not a coral. will cycling the tank kill this off?

thanks again everyone. So glad I found this site!

Last edited by chicagojoe; 09/15/2012 at 07:12 PM. Reason: images again....
chicagojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/16/2012, 06:47 AM   #1282
Sugar Magnolia
Registered Member

Yes, it's a stomatella.

Edit: This is intended for the user whose post was removed.

The only thing to fear is fear itself....and spiders.

Last edited by Sugar Magnolia; 09/16/2012 at 07:26 AM.
Sugar Magnolia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/16/2012, 06:48 PM   #1283
SushiGirl
Premium Member

Chicagojoe, I went back & read who it was, then by the time I got back to this page & started to reply, I forgot LOL. My short term memory is absolutely shot at times still. It's frustrating to forget something after a few seconds, especially since I've gone back to work. I thought it was the pain killers, but it must be the Lyrica I'm still on. I'll take a look at your last pic when I'm not on my tiny phone screen.

Unread 09/16/2012, 07:07 PM   #1284
AxiomOfthruth
Registered Member

What would you all recommend as the best way to get the best variety of good critters in my tank, I'm just setting it up and starting to cycle it. I intend to start home culturing copepods and rotifers but I would love to know how to get the variety of life some of you have in your tanks?

AxiomOfthruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/16/2012, 07:30 PM   #1285
SushiGirl
Premium Member

Mine came from frags & chaeto or other macro algae.

Unread 09/16/2012, 09:30 PM   #1286
SushiGirl
Premium Member

Chicagojoe, the pics are really too far away, but they look like maybe ball anemones (pseudocorynactis).

Unread 09/16/2012, 09:32 PM   #1287
Shorty Harris
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxiomOfthruth View Post
What would you all recommend as the best way to get the best variety of good critters in my tank, I'm just setting it up and starting to cycle it. I intend to start home culturing copepods and rotifers but I would love to know how to get the variety of life some of you have in your tanks?
As a fellow newbie I have recent experience with this. It was at least a week after adding my live rock that I saw my first life form, a single copepod. It was another week or two before I saw my first amphipod and first spaghetti worm. Now about eight weeks later amphipods and copepods are swarming. At week 4 at I added a CUC but there were no hitchhikers with them. A few pineapple sponges started growing and a few small anonymous worms showed up. For several more weeks I only had them to watch. About 2 weeks ago I added my first 3 large frags of coral and WOW! They were all packed with life! Now I have bristle worms, several types of tube/feather duster worms, tunicates, isopods, several different bivalves, and what I think is a small brittle star which only shows two or three legs. So be patient, it is all coming. Every night after lights out I am peeking into the tank with a flashlight to find something new. It's very exciting! Sorry for the long response.

Shorty Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/16/2012, 10:24 PM   #1288
AxiomOfthruth
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty Harris View Post
As a fellow newbie I have recent experience with this. It was at least a week after adding my live rock that I saw my first life form, a single copepod. It was another week or two before I saw my first amphipod and first spaghetti worm. Now about eight weeks later amphipods and copepods are swarming. At week 4 at I added a CUC but there were no hitchhikers with them. A few pineapple sponges started growing and a few small anonymous worms showed up. For several more weeks I only had them to watch. About 2 weeks ago I added my first 3 large frags of coral and WOW! They were all packed with life! Now I have bristle worms, several types of tube/feather duster worms, tunicates, isopods, several different bivalves, and what I think is a small brittle star which only shows two or three legs. So be patient, it is all coming. Every night after lights out I am peeking into the tank with a flashlight to find something new. It's very exciting! Sorry for the long response.
Don't apologies a well thought out and informed post never requires an apology. I guess ill just have to impatiently wait :P, I'm just honestly as exited about the smallest of things that will grow and live in my tank as I am in the larger life forms I will be introducing in a more purposeful manor. I have even been thinking of buying a macro lens for my Olympus so that I can document it all. When you really think about it the coral, fish, crabs, and shrimp we add to our tanks represent the smallest fraction of the different species that eventually come to live within them... I'm going to go find my uncles old jewelers glasses to that I can keep them by the tank ^_^.

AxiomOfthruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/16/2012, 10:34 PM   #1289
SushiGirl
Premium Member

I thought it was a great answer.

Unread 09/17/2012, 10:55 AM   #1290
Susan Lohrer
Registered Member

Quote:

Susan, the white stuff is likely foraminiferans, harmless.
SushiGirl, I looked up foraminiferans on Wikipedia, and I may have missed something, but I don't see a resemblance to my soft, branching root-looking things. Man, the need to ID critters can spur excessive googling . . . I came across another mention of rootlike structures that suggested what I've got might be bryozoans.

Last edited by Susan Lohrer; 09/17/2012 at 11:12 AM.
Unread 09/17/2012, 02:55 PM   #1291
cloak
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Lohrer View Post
I just noticed this whitish stuff on one of my rocks. I tried so hard not to take a blurry picture, too. It's fine-textured, branching (kind of like the tiny hair roots on a house plant), and it looks like it spreads via runners across the rock. I googled it, but because of the color, I'm not sure whether it might be anything that's listed on the pages I found.

Opinions?

If it's soft, it might just be some type of sponge. They come in all different kinds of colors and forms.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-07/rs/index.php

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2011/6/inverts2

HTH.

Last edited by cloak; 09/17/2012 at 03:02 PM.
cloak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2012, 04:57 PM   #1292
SushiGirl
Premium Member

Usually I google foraminiferans & select Images & look through various pics. Wiki rarely has all the pics of all the kinds. You can also go to wetwebmedia & use their search function then go through pages of pics people have asked for IDs on. It's tedious, but there's a lot there.

Unread 09/17/2012, 06:05 PM   #1293
SushiGirl
Premium Member

Here ya go, scroll down. http://www.lionfishlair.com/hitchhiker/hitchhiker.shtml

Unread 09/17/2012, 09:30 PM   #1294
Ptyochromis
Registered Member

What is this thing? http://imgur.com/a/Tgwhd
It is about 1cm and moves very very slowly in a shuffling way.
All my searches have landed me where i don't want to be lol.

Don't misidentify Phyllangia sp. as Aiptasia.

Current Tank Info: skimmerless, sps dominant 29gal+20gal fuge. 100% NNR
Ptyochromis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2012, 09:35 PM   #1295
worm5406
Not afriad to admit wrong

The starfish or the bristle worm?

Current Tank Info: Tank:300g Mixed Reef 300+lb LR|4" LS|5x MP40W|75g fuge|5x RadionPRO|RO DB250 skimmer|Apex
worm5406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2012, 11:33 PM   #1296
Ptyochromis
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by worm5406 View Post
The starfish or the bristle worm?
:P the star. The other thing is the arm of my coral banded shrimp :P.

Don't misidentify Phyllangia sp. as Aiptasia.

Current Tank Info: skimmerless, sps dominant 29gal+20gal fuge. 100% NNR
Ptyochromis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/18/2012, 12:25 AM   #1297
ReeferKimberly
Marley & Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReeferKimberly View Post
That's an asterina star. They eat coralline algae and can reproduce rapidly by splitting. You will see a leg here and there. One person I saw said he saw his bothering corals. I personally don't mind them unless I see epic proportions. You will probably find more. They come in white, grey, salt/pepper, blackish grey, ect. I have a few pinkish ones too. Harlequin shrimps will often eat them but not always and if you get one and he eats them all or refuses to eat them you have to get him other stars to eat.

That's your star, same as a few posts up.

(I want a bristle worm with those colors! )

ReeferKimberly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/18/2012, 12:12 PM   #1298
jasonhobbs86
Registered Member

cheap LR, had a few things growing...

just setup my tank...
so i bought some cheap live rock from a LFS @ 6.99lb. it had a few aiptasias growing on i bought a pep shrimp to take care of it which he did. all three of them are now gone and even the one on the overflow pipe that was itsy bitsy. but i have 3 other things growing and cant seem to figure it out... one of them looks like some sort of anemone but i'm not sure... it closes up into a ball at night but it doesnt seem to be growing longer tentacles like the aiptasia and the my pep shrimp hasnt killed it yet...

so what is it????

jasonhobbs86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/18/2012, 01:29 PM   #1299
Susan Lohrer
Registered Member

Quote:
Usually I google foraminiferans & select Images & look through various pics. Wiki rarely has all the pics of all the kinds. You can also go to wetwebmedia & use their search function then go through pages of pics people have asked for IDs on. It's tedious, but there's a lot there.
I love wetwebmedia.

I looked at their pictures of foraminiferans and their pictures of bryozoans (especially the FAQ page with the WWM IDs), and now I'm most certain my white stuff is bryozoans.

Unread 09/18/2012, 01:37 PM   #1300
ReeferKimberly
Marley & Me

Jason I think that might be a Green Button Polyp (soft coral) Can you post up another angle? GPB or some other kind of coral polyp....

ReeferKimberly is offline   Reply With Quote