Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/15/2017, 09:25 AM   #26
shrimpinator123
Registered Member

Thanks. Ok, I get that they are territorial and I get that they need space. From what I have seen, watchman/pistols hang out in their holes not sure if I am correct on this? Is what I am asking to do impossible? If it is, please tell me instead of beating around the bush.
Green Clown Goby (Gobiodon atrangulatus)
Citrinis Clown Goby (Gobiodon citrinus)
Yellow Watchman Goby/Tiger Pistol
Orange Stripe Prawn Goby/Randal Pistol

With the stock list above, what is the more likely scenario?

Scenario 1:

I add the gobies together and they fight, and keep fighting. They fight until two are dead. I am left with one or two fish.

Scenario 2:
I add the gobies together, and their is maybe some fighting as they establish territory and hierarchy (sort of like my African cichlids). Once hierarchy and territories are established, I have a peaceful tank.

I know there is no definite answer because each fish has a different personality, but was just wondering what is the most likely scenario.

shrimpinator123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/15/2017, 10:18 AM   #27
tjm9331
Registered Member

I don't have any experience with gobies but I think the most likely scenario would be they fight a bit to establish territories and then go about their business.

tjm9331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/15/2017, 11:41 AM   #28
shrimpinator123
Registered Member

I know gobies are territorial, and I know they need their space.

Unread 09/15/2017, 11:48 AM   #29
shrimpinator123
Registered Member

What I am wondering is, which scenario is more likely with the stocking below:

Green Clown Goby (Gobiodon atrangulatus)
Citrinis Clown Goby (Gobiodon citrinus)
Yellow Watchman Goby/Tiger Pistol
Orange Stripe Prawn Goby/Randal Pistol

Scenario 1: I add the fish, the gobies are too territorial and end up pestering and killing each other until there are only maybe one or two fish left.

Scenarion 2: I add the fish, there is maybe some fighting over territory and hierarchy (sort of like my African cichlids), but once this is over I have a peaceful tank.

Unread 09/15/2017, 11:49 AM   #30
shrimpinator123
Registered Member

I know that there is no definite answer since each fish has its own personality, but was hoping to figure out the more likely scenario

Unread 09/15/2017, 01:40 PM   #31
tjm9331
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjm9331 View Post
I don't have any experience with gobies but I think the most likely scenario would be they fight a bit to establish territories and then go about their business.
I thought I was giving you the most likely scenario...perhaps I should have just said Scenario 2

Unread 09/15/2017, 02:15 PM   #32
shrimpinator123
Registered Member

tjm9331, sorry about that. It told me that the post had failed. I didn't to say it twice. Again, sorry about that. I think I will try this stock list. I was going to introduce a clean up crew in a short while because my tank finally cycled. I was thinking 2-3 weeks with CUC and then add the gobies. Would this be good? Also, LA has a good track record right? I was going to order everything from them.

Unread 09/15/2017, 02:43 PM   #33
heathlindner25
Moved On

Imo ,one of the pistol shrimp will definitely kill the other .....If money was on it the tiger will win ,And the watchman goby will probably take out the orange stripe.hth

heathlindner25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/15/2017, 03:25 PM   #34
shrimpinator123
Registered Member

Even if added small, and together?

Unread 09/15/2017, 03:40 PM   #35
shrimpinator123
Registered Member

I have doing some research on the pistols and what I have found is they usually guard their burrows. Is this true or am I getting misinformed? Are the yellow watchmen that aggressive? I know they are crabby but LA says that they are peaceful (I know it says they might fight with their own kind, (assuming that means other yellow watchmen), but will be territorial.

Unread 09/15/2017, 05:56 PM   #36
mikem101
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimpinator123 View Post
I have doing some research on the pistols and what I have found is they usually guard their burrows. Is this true or am I getting misinformed? Are the yellow watchmen that aggressive? I know they are crabby but LA says that they are peaceful (I know it says they might fight with their own kind, (assuming that means other yellow watchmen), but will be territorial.
so your wanting to push all the limits with that tiny tank man, What you SHOULD keep is a 1 pistol shrimp and 1 watchmen goby with a clown goby and thats really it! ANYTHING more than that you are pushing it and its probably a bad idea. If you want more fish and more inverts that simply start with a bigger tank! i that small of a tank you are VERY limited to stock!

mikem101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/15/2017, 07:09 PM   #37
shrimpinator123
Registered Member

Look, I am 13. Sorry to make you so mad. I think I will just do what you said. It is not like I can just go buy something huge. I am thinking about maybe go up to a 50 gal in the future.

Unread 09/15/2017, 10:35 PM   #38
shrimpinator123
Registered Member

Would this guy be okay in a newly set up tank?
http://www.liveaquaria.com/divers-de.../hasselts-goby

Unread 09/16/2017, 03:24 AM   #39
WYA123
Registered Member

Oh hello, I am 13 too. From what I have read and seen, the goby pistol pair will guard their burrow, but sometimes they tend to move to another burrowing site and once they do and cross paths, it ain't gonna be pretty. But there is a way(I think this is a possible way) to have two gobies and two pistols and that is to get a mated pair of both species, but you can only have one species of goby and one species of shrimp.

Unread 09/16/2017, 10:51 AM   #40
mikem101
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimpinator123 View Post
Look, I am 13. Sorry to make you so mad. I think I will just do what you said. It is not like I can just go buy something huge. I am thinking about maybe go up to a 50 gal in the future.
Not getting mad bud, just letting you know that you want to look out for the best interest of the fish ya know. So when you are talking about a smaller tank that you are really limited to fish selection! Start with 2 little fish and some inverts and if you like it and want to do more, couple months a year whatever get a 20 gallon. Then you can add another fish and keep adding from there. Just keep the fish in mind and make sure they are happy not always stressed from over populating your tank!

mikem101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/16/2017, 06:26 PM   #41
shrimpinator123
Registered Member

Yeah, probably going to be a year or two before I upgrade. Would I be ok with a pair of YWG and a tiger pistol or would that be overstocked? I am guessing I woud take the clown goby out then, if it would work? Thanks for your help.

Unread 09/16/2017, 11:53 PM   #42
TangingOut
Registered Member

I think if you can find a mated pair of ywg with a pistol shrimp plus the clown goby, you should be good there. That's the most I would do.

TangingOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2017, 10:58 AM   #43
shrimpinator123
Registered Member

I think I want to try the pair. Now just to find a pair of YWG. Is there a place online that sells them?

Unread 09/17/2017, 11:05 AM   #44
shrimpinator123
Registered Member

Would the clown goby be ok? I really don't want to stress any of the fish out.

Unread 09/17/2017, 11:07 AM   #45
shrimpinator123
Registered Member

Just wondering because mikem101 said to stick with 2 fish, not sure about adding a third into the mix.

Unread 09/17/2017, 01:20 PM   #46
devildog999
That Guy

Check out blue zoo https://www.bluezooaquatics.com/prod...pid=560&cid=18 or live aquaria http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...28&pcatid=3428. Liveaquaria is offering captive bred as well (link I provided) so that's always a good way to go. I would email both of them and ask if you can get a pair and go from there.

devildog999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2017, 02:45 PM   #47
shrimpinator123
Registered Member

I was thinking about using them, I will try to email them. Could I just order two and let them pair? Was wondering if they could change their sex?

Unread 09/17/2017, 10:33 PM   #48
bcb577
Registered Member

Not tryi g to discourage you but I ran a 10 gallon standard for 2 years before slighting uograding to a biocube 14.in my 10 gallon I had 2 fish a yellow watchman goby. And 1 clownfish,and I had to religiously keep up with husbandry, its amazing how just the 2 fish were hard let alone 4-5 fish I do wish you luck however id encourage you to consider how the fish will ferl and I think you have done some consideration for the inhabitants,

bcb577 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/18/2017, 06:31 AM   #49
tjm9331
Registered Member

I'll be honest if it were me and I was 13 again, I'd most likely be so itching to get a system up and running that I wouldn't even be asking these questions so first I'd like to give you kudos for checking with this forum first to see what the best course of action is or should be.

As far as your situation goes, if you have the patience I'd actually wait for another Petco $1 per gallon sale, which should be coming soon...I think. That way you can get yourself a nice 20 gallon long for $20 or a even a 40g breeder for $40. I'm willing to bet that most if not all your equipment you have would work with a 20 long. If you get the 40 breeder you might need to upgrade some equipment which may not be in your budget.

But if you're really dead set on getting 4-5 gobies then I'd either wait for the sale and go with a bigger tank or start with the 10 now with say a clown goby and 1 goby/pistol pair and then next spring go up the 20 long and add another clown goby and goby/pistol pair, which was already suggested. If you decide to do that though just make sure that when you upgrade to the new tank that you add all the fish at the same time (existing and new) at the same time so you'll have to have the new fish in quarantine before getting the new tank set up.

Last edited by tjm9331; 09/18/2017 at 06:38 AM.
Unread 09/18/2017, 12:10 PM   #50
shrimpinator123
Registered Member

That is what I was going to do. The ultimate goal with saltwater is to upgrade to a 55 to 75 predator tank. The 10 gallon that I finally got cycled (took 7 weeks) is ultimately a trial run. I am trying to make sure I can keep up with the maintenance of a 125 gal African cichlid tank and a saltwater tank (upgrading from a 30 gal cichlid tank to a 125 gal cichlid tank near Christmas). Was hoping I could get a bigger tank off of craigslist. Any guidelines on this? I think I will do a yellow watchmen goby and tiger pistol, and a clown goby. Was wondering if there was a guideline for how many gobies or goby pistol pairs I could have in the size tank mentioned above? Also, how do puffers, lionfish, and pistol shrimp mix? Guessing not good, but wondered if it could work? Sorry for the off topic questions. Thanks for the help!

Tags
acclimation, gobies, nano 10 gallon, newbie help