Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/19/2017, 07:35 AM   #1
Rtdrumz
Registered Member

Cool millions of itsy bitsy bugs

Last night about 15 minutes after the lighting switched to moonlight, I noticed millions of almost microscopic bugs being blown around. The fish were going crazy eating them. This has never happened before. (that we have noticed) I turned off all of the pumps in order to get a better look. These things were darting around like pods. I haven't put pods in my 'fuge. Is it possible to have a population "explosion"? By explosion I mean from not seeing any to **!!BOOM!!** MILLIONS IN MY DISPLAY! Next Question : Should I be concerned about any effects on corals?

Rtdrumz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/19/2017, 07:39 AM   #2
nereefpat
Registered Member

Sounds like it could be copepods. Do you ever notice them on the glass?

I never purposely added any pods to my tank, but I would guess that I have them by the millions. I wouldn't be concerned about them hurting your corals, as many corals would love to eat them.

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/19/2017, 08:20 AM   #3
ktownhero
Registered Member

No worries, enjoy Sign of a well established tank.

ktownhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/19/2017, 08:24 AM   #4
d0ughb0y
Registered Member

its fine if you have fish that eats them. its not if you don't.

d0ughb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/19/2017, 08:56 AM   #5
cincyjim
Registered Member

I would see that when one of my Skunk shrimp would spawn.

Current Tank Info: SCA 150G, 5 inch sand bed, 2 Tunze 6095s, ReefBreeders v2+ 50" with 2 all Blue Reefbrites, and Continuous Water Change System
cincyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/19/2017, 10:10 AM   #6
Rtdrumz
Registered Member

not on the glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by nereefpat View Post
Sounds like it could be copepods. Do you ever notice them on the glass?

I never purposely added any pods to my tank, but I would guess that I have them by the millions. I wouldn't be concerned about them hurting your corals, as many corals would love to eat them.
I have not seen any pods on the glass. I have noticed "bugs" moving around in the filter media. I expect that they are some sort of pods. I haven't been too concerned because there aren't that many. I have 2 cleaner shrimp. A spawn could be a possibility. It would have to be some sort of spawn ...right? The DT was full of these things. No worries now ... whatever it was is gone....

Rtdrumz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/19/2017, 11:58 AM   #7
ktownhero
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0ughb0y View Post
its fine if you have fish that eats them. its not if you don't.
This is not true. They are always good even if the tank doesn't have a single fish that would touch them. They are self-regulating tank cleaners.

Unread 09/19/2017, 12:02 PM   #8
d0ughb0y
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktownhero View Post
This is not true. They are always good even if the tank doesn't have a single fish that would touch them. They are self-regulating tank cleaners.
^^^lmao

I speak from actual experience. bad things will happen to you tank if it goes unchecked. too much of anything can be bad.

d0ughb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/19/2017, 12:37 PM   #9
cincyjim
Registered Member

Mine have spawned a few times and it is usually when the lights have been off for a hour or two. Must be some sort of key to make them spawn when the light goes off. I've never had any survive. I did have one that got about 1/4" long and that I thought it was going to make it but...

Current Tank Info: SCA 150G, 5 inch sand bed, 2 Tunze 6095s, ReefBreeders v2+ 50" with 2 all Blue Reefbrites, and Continuous Water Change System
cincyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/19/2017, 02:14 PM   #10
karimwassef
Registered Member

All fish will eat small pods. The risk is if they die quickly and cause a flatworm explosion.

Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape
karimwassef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/19/2017, 02:17 PM   #11
ktownhero
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0ughb0y View Post
^^^lmao

I speak from actual experience. bad things will happen to you tank if it goes unchecked. too much of anything can be bad.
You're confusing a symptom of a problem for the problem itself. Pods are self regulating and can only exist excessively if there is an excessive detritus problem in the tank. If the pods occurred naturally in the tank, then they weren't the problem. If you bought a bag 100x too big for your tank and dumped it all in then *maybe* that's an issue...