Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/29/2018, 07:15 AM   #1
Neptune 555
Registered Member

How big? I am upgrading from a 75 gallon

Need help selecting size for my new tank..... I currently have a 75 gallon reef & 48 gallon reef. I am upgrading my 75 gallon reef to a FOWLR tank because my blue tang and yellow tang have outgrown their current home. (my husband says I can just give away these amazing fish - crazy!)

So how big should I go? I am thinking 125 gallon or a 180 gallon. I like the 6 foot swimming space but am a bit overwhelmed with 180 gallons? Thoughts on the two options?

The upgrade is really motivated by the fish I want to keep.
Stocking List:
Existing: Blue Tang / Yellow Tang / Voriks Wrasse / Flame Angel / Blue puffer / 3 chromis.
FISH WISH LIST: Humu Humu trigger / Midnight Dog Face Puffer / flame hawkfish / green bird wrasse / orchid dottyback / cardinalfish / threadfin butterfly

Suggestions on tank size to host these fish....

Neptune

Neptune 555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/29/2018, 11:48 AM   #2
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Assuming by blue tang you mean hippo/regal, then 180 is the absolute minimum for this fish. 8’ tank better.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/29/2018, 12:04 PM   #3
Blue Tang Clan
Registered Member

Specs for both of those tanks are usually as follows:

125 gallon - 72L x 18W x 23 T
180 gallon - 72L x 24W x 25 T

The width helps with aquascaping and gives the fish more turnaround room. Short of that, you won't notice the difference in gallons for maintenance purposes. It's 55 extra gallons, but that just comes from it being slightly taller and 6" wider.

In my view, a 180 gallon is the best all around tank recommendation for the advanced enthusiast. The length and width will have a very positive effect on the fish, and it is a very manageable size. Bigger is always better and more stable, but that is a slippery slope. I'd stick with 180 - it's the perfect ratio for a home aquarium.

Blue Tang Clan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/29/2018, 08:28 PM   #4
Neptune 555
Registered Member

thanks for feedback!! YES going 180.

Neptune 555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2018, 08:13 AM   #5
Bono
Registered Member

The 180 will look like a swimming pool when you first set it up but a month later you’ll be thinking about something bigger. It’s a disease that’s never cured.

Current Tank Info: 210 gal, 300lbs LR, Aquamaxx Skimmer, 3x Reefbreeders LED's & T5's.
Bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2018, 08:02 PM   #6
ibryson
Registered Member

Good decision on going with the 180. If i recall correctly, it seems to be the best deal for large tanks. I love mine and I dont even have it set up yet

ibryson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/02/2018, 12:27 PM   #7
Crusty Old Shellback
MASVC OG

180 isn't bad. I've found out that the bigger the tank, the more stable it seems to be.

I started with a 45G hex, then 72G bow front.
Was going to do a 220G, but found a good deal on a 400G so went with that.

Best quote ever!
"This is a hobby for God sakes and so many people get so uptite. A "hobby" so it should be fun and not a cause to worry or go broke." Paul B

Current Tank Info: Tankless for a while. RIP my 8+ yr old pair of Naso tangs, 4 + yr old Moorish Idol
Crusty Old Shellback is offline   Reply With Quote