Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 02/24/2009, 11:19 AM   #26
reefscape15
Registered Member

Boy! Ok so where to begin?!?

Quoted from RV7AFLYER - "Does anyone have a salt water turtle in their ref tank? Does anyone know where you could buy one? Is it legal to keep one? Would they eat the coral? I never thought of having a turtle in a tank until my daughter Ariel asked me today if we could get one."

First of all, you can't honestly say that you've been in this hobby for 25+ years and never thought of how awesome a baby sea turtle would be. And being in this hobby that long, you probably know that they feed on coral.

"Seems crazy but I don't think I have ever even thought about having a Turtle in a reef tank. I have had salt tanks since 1982 and dive around Turtles in Maui every year but until my daughter mentioned it I don't think I have ever thought about it."

Bullshit

"I was thinking of a baby Sea Turtle......... 3"- 6" and when it got too big I could let it go in the ocean. I don't think they have to learn to hunt for food from their mom. I think the little guy would survive. I am about 1/2 done aquiring everything to set up another tank: 470 gallon 84"x 36"x 36" with a 300 gallon sump. I wasn't planning on keeping the turtle until it could pull me around under water."

Again, being in this hobby for that long, and you don't know that turtles are all endangered, you don't deserve to have an aquarium. Seriously i would hope you try to get a baby sea turtle off the beach sometime, and you WILL get caught and spend lots of time in jail. Thats the most rediculous thing i've ever heard, and thats saying alot being stated on this website where some real stupid things are said. If this thread isn't a joke, i hope your tank breaks tonight and floods your house!

JIM

Current Tank Info: 5g standard softie/zoa tank, just starting a 20H
Unread 02/24/2009, 11:19 AM   #27
CoralBeautyII
Registered Member

I admit i often thought of this too, infact it was just the other day when i was watching raging planet they showed an adorable new born sea turtle swimming into the ocean, how can we not think about it!
that said, i know its not possible, but come on, you know if they ever found a dwarf version most of us would be setting up tanks for them
i have a freshwater (of course) turtle now that is one of the smallest turtles one can keep, hes a five year old Musk turtle also known as the stinkpot, and hes maxed out at 4"
now if only sea turtles came in that size lol
so i didnt think this person was a troll for asking, dont be cruel now, play nice

Unread 02/24/2009, 11:24 AM   #28
reef321
Registered Member

You think it's hard to keep reptiles and amphibians? I have a pet store and there are ton's of people that have lizards and frogs and turtles. We have not had a problem with any, and i definetly think keeping a saltwater tank is a lot more demanding and the corals in your tank should outlive any reptiles or amphibians you can buy at a store.

Unread 02/24/2009, 11:25 AM   #29
jefathome
Registered Member

What about "Marsh" turtles? You would need to have a spot where they can get out of the water, but at least they are used to swimming in salt water.

Current Tank Info: *NEW* 150g in-wall Solartube display; 60g 4x2ft frag tank; 3g work Pico.... all Reef tanks
Unread 02/24/2009, 11:32 AM   #30
CoralBeautyII
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jefathome
What about "Marsh" turtles? You would need to have a spot where they can get out of the water, but at least they are used to swimming in salt water.
yeah, their is a brackish water turtle i believe, i cant think of the name but it was hella cute
i can picture a 300g with this brackish turtle and maybe some scats, mono's and puffers (if it would work i dont know lol)

dang what the heck is that turtle called? it wasnt the diamond back it was another kind...i'll find it hold on lol

Unread 02/24/2009, 11:40 AM   #31
CoralBeautyII
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CoralBeautyII
yeah, their is a brackish water turtle i believe, i cant think of the name but it was hella cute
i can picture a 300g with this brackish turtle and maybe some scats, mono's and puffers (if it would work i dont know lol)

dang what the heck is that turtle called? it wasnt the diamond back it was another kind...i'll find it hold on lol
I got it i got it...it was a Fly River turtle!!
their really cute, i think they prefer fresh water tho but says they live in fresh, brackish and sometimes marine

http://www.flyriverturtle.com/

Unread 02/24/2009, 11:42 AM   #32
Arati
Registered Member

Thanks I been needin a new sig..

Current Tank Info: 150 ish gallons of Reef
Unread 02/24/2009, 11:59 AM   #33
jbird69
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pjewett
What is the concensus definition of a TROLL?
Troll..used as a verb not a noun. lol
Someone posting a question or comment that knowingly will spark debate/argument. Like a fisheman trolling a bait to see who will "bite".

The dead give away for me was the "25 years experience in the hobby" If the profile said"newby" I would have taken it seriously.

Unread 02/24/2009, 12:04 PM   #34
CoralBeautyII
Registered Member

but isnt that troll thing played out? i mean i havent seen that term used in a few years now lol
just because it seems like a dumb question doesnt mean they are a troll, its not even a dumb question anyway
ive been fish keeping for dang a long time, over 20 years, and i still ask stupid questions..their not stupid to me tho lol

Unread 02/24/2009, 12:10 PM   #35
reefscape15
Registered Member

well i would think that having an interest in SW tanks would make you feel conected to the ocean, and maybe want to learn about your animals natural surroundings, habits, lives, etc. At least i hope thats what happens and it's not just wanting a cool thing to look at!

JIM

Unread 02/24/2009, 12:11 PM   #36
reefscape15
Registered Member

And with 25+ years in SW, it is a stupid question!

JIM

Unread 02/24/2009, 12:13 PM   #37
Untamed12
Registered Member

I know that many of the commercial aquariums are involved with captive raising of young sea turtles to return them to the wild when the reach a certain size.

I believe that the eggs are collected shortly after being laid in an effort to save the eggs from predation and increase the numbers of surviving young.

It would be cool to have a large tank and be part of that effort....but that isn't likely to happen.

Current Tank Info: 400gal Envision Acrylic reef started 04/07
Unread 02/24/2009, 12:18 PM   #38
rkelman
Registered Member

"First of all, you can't honestly say that you've been in this hobby for 25+ years and never thought of how awesome a baby sea turtle would be. And being in this hobby that long, you probably know that they feed on coral. "

I've been keeping fish for almost 30 years (not all SW mostly fresh) I didn't know they ate coral..

"Bullsh$%"

Over the line.

"Again, being in this hobby for that long, and you don't know that turtles are all endangered, you don't deserve to have an aquarium. Seriously i would hope you try to get a baby sea turtle off the beach sometime, and you WILL get caught and spend lots of time in jail. Thats the most rediculous thing i've ever heard, and thats saying alot being stated on this website where some real stupid things are said. If this thread isn't a joke, i hope your tank breaks tonight and floods your house!"

Over the line again.

"And with 25+ years in SW, it is a stupid question!"

I don't think anyone should feel intimidated to ask any question. Especially on a forum that exists just for the purpose of educating / furthuring the hobby. I think some on this thread are trolls I'm not sure about the OP.

Unread 02/24/2009, 12:24 PM   #39
ghostrida3
Registered Member

thanks all for the entertainment during my boring day at work.

by the way everybody on this forum has thought about keeping a sea turtle. but like 2 seconds later and mabye an internet search realised it isnt possible. they have minitures of everything but sea turtles.

sea turtles are played out anyway. i want a baby shamu!!!

Unread 02/24/2009, 12:30 PM   #40
sikpupy
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by BuddhaKiss
Here ya go....and it requires no feeding!!

http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/group/3369/product.web
Oh wow, you also get a bunch of corals for free too!? I am getting one for SURE!!

Unread 02/24/2009, 12:30 PM   #41
reefscape15
Registered Member

HAHA!!!! nice idea ghost!

JIM

Unread 02/24/2009, 12:40 PM   #42
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ghostrida3

sea turtles are played out anyway. i want a baby shamu!!!
I prefer my killer whales with rocket engines and gatling guns

Unread 02/24/2009, 12:52 PM   #43
Rbacchiega
Registered Member

hahaha thanks for the picture tkeracer619. Almost like sharks with friggen lasers on their friggen heads.

Anyways, I don't know what to think of the OP's question, but a simple No like what was given should suffice. No need to bash.

However, in terms of keeping reptiles. I have a chameleon (who's life span is 5-7 years) and two Sulcata tortoises (who's lifespan is well over 50 years). But I'm 23. I own my own house and have the space to provide these torts with what they need. I didn't just buy these guys spur of the moment. I researched them and realized how big they got (males can reach over 200lbs) I think if someone does the research and can truthfully say that they can provide the animal with what they need, they have every right to own a reptile. There are certain ones that I don't think should be kept in captivity (although they are VERY cool) ie Burms, Rectics, Caimans etc but people keep them with great success and have done so for extended periods of time. Reefing might be your passion (as it is one of mine) but I love my torts as well.

Let the hating begin

Current Tank Info: 180 gallon in progress
Unread 02/24/2009, 12:56 PM   #44
Juruense
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by reef321
You think it's hard to keep reptiles and amphibians? I have a pet store
So, an unbiased opinion then?

Quote:
and there are ton's of people that have lizards and frogs and turtles.
What a shame

Quote:
i definetly think keeping a saltwater tank is a lot more demanding and the corals in your tank should outlive any reptiles or amphibians you can buy at a store.
I never compared keeping saltwater to keeping reptiles/amphibians and did not express an opinion as to that so not sure whom you are arguing with. As for "outliving" corals are easily given away to willing recipients. Try that with a reptile or an amphibian. You will be hard pressed to find a willing and able adopter of your unloved pet if it is a reptile or an amphibian. But you will probably find people offering ca$h for your unloved corals.

Unread 02/24/2009, 01:01 PM   #45
GSMguy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tkeracer619
I prefer my killer whales with rocket engines and gatling guns

Win!

Current Tank Info: 48"x27"x14" Envision Acrylic rimless, 6x39w ATi Sunpower, Custom ATB Deluxe Skimmer, 4x tunze nano stream,ATB flowstar 1500, ACJR, Tunze osmolator.
Unread 02/24/2009, 01:01 PM   #46
MarkinMD
Registered Member

I would go for some ill tempered sea bass. hehe Im just glad my brain and candycane made it through acclimation!

Unread 02/24/2009, 01:02 PM   #47
RV7AFlyer
Registered Member

I am not going to get a Sea Turtle after I found out it was illegal. Also all you guys information was really helpful! THANK YOU ALL! How about a baby Orca?

Unread 02/24/2009, 01:04 PM   #48
chimmike
oxygen abuser

Quote:
[i] I think some on this thread are trolls I'm not sure about the OP. [/B]

I thoroughly disagree and nearly everyone on this board here knows or should know that sea turles are endangered and the thought of even trying to get one for an aquarium is not only illegal but stupid.

Seriously. Pose this question, as if all of a sudden he thinks it'd be a cool idea to get a sea turtle for his aquarium? How long has reefkeeping been around that maybe nobody else had that same thought?

This thread has gone on too long.

Unread 02/24/2009, 01:30 PM   #49
fishysteve
Registered Member

When I was in Grand Cayman last year there was a huge sea turtle breeding farm. They are bred for eatting. I was mildly disturbed.

http://turtle.ky/history.htm

Unread 02/24/2009, 02:03 PM   #50
dwd5813
Registered Member

do this instead.

what can i say? in dog beers, i have only had one. - dublo8

Current Tank Info: 40B aiptasia farm
Closed Thread