Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/21/2009, 03:13 PM   #1
Faisal1976us
Registered Member

Dosing vodka Vs Sulphur Nitrate Filter !

Which is better for sps tank dosing vodka or Sulphur Nitrate Filter ?
and can i use them together ?

Faisal1976us is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/21/2009, 05:18 PM   #2
Genetics
Registered Member

TMZ would be a good person to talk to over in the chemistry forum. He used both methods and found both useful but I know he would be able to elaborate a bit more than I could.

Current Tank Info: 15g Waterbox cube
Genetics is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/21/2009, 11:08 PM   #3
Nanook
Ancient Eskimo Legend

This thread has been moved to the current forum.

Current Tank Info: 375g Tanganyikan Tank & 470g mixed reef
Nanook is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/22/2009, 12:29 AM   #4
tmz
ReefKeeping Mag staff

I used them both concurrently .
The sulfur denitrator was very effective at reducing NO3 from around 80ppm to 0 ppm after about six weeks of use.

About 4/5 weeks after starting the the sulfur, I started dosing small amounts of vodka mainly for PO4 control since the sulfur denitrator has no effect on that. I wasn't as optmistic about NO3 reduction via carbon dosing alone based on the experiences of others who had mixed and slow results. I also like to keep the carbon dose on the low side.( 24 ml vodka and 2ml vinegar daily for 550 gallons) so I wasn't going to keep upping the dose in an effort to make it work on nitrate.

After about 2 weeks at 0 nitrate system water going in , the sulfur dentrator stared producing hydrogen sulfide even at a high flow rate.. I took it off line; opened it ;and .found lot's of bacterial mats. I don't think the carbon dosing caused the sulfide issue since hydrogen sulfide production in sulfur dentrators is common when nitrates are removed faster than supplied.

I removed the denitrator with the intention of reducing the amount of sulfur in it by 75% to try to balance it off against my systems nitrate production. I never had to put it back on line since ,to my pleasant surprise ,the vodka/vinegar dosing has held nitrates at around 2ppm without the denitrator for the last 5 months.

This dosing also helps maintain PO4 at .02 to .06ppm . I do use some gfo but was getting PO4 of around .15 to .25 ppm with the same amount of gfo before dosing.

Current Tank Info: Tank of the Month , November 2011 : 600gal integrated system: 3 display tanks (120 g, 90g, 89g),several frag/grow out tanks, macroalgae refugia, cryptic zones. 40+ fish, seahorses, sps,lps,leathers, zoanthidae and non photosynthetic corals.
tmz is offline   Reply With Quote