Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/09/2011, 08:02 AM   #1
cnaegler
Registered Member

Exclamation High calcium cause STN?

Hello all!
So, my girlfriend's son, who is 5, decides to dump what is left of my DIY calcium into my sump. The level jumps to over 500...can't tell exactly because my salifert test only goes to 500. I started noticing some acros STNing. I do a 10% WC and hings seem to be a little better but i think everything is still STNing. It's hard to say because it's been very slow. I've got another 10% WC brewing right now. Could this quick jump cause this? Alk and other params have stayed the same.
Alk-9.5
Cal-now 500..was over 500
NO3-0
PO4-.02
Mg-?
PH-8.0 - 8.2

You can want in one hand and crap in the other and see which one fills up first!!

Save the reefs! Buy captive bred fish and aquacultured corals!

Current Tank Info: Downsizing to a 120 BB SPS tank, 6205 &6305 Tunze on 7095 controller, Current USA extreme 8 x 54 fixture
cnaegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/09/2011, 08:12 AM   #2
nuclearheli
Registered Member

I keep my Ca levels between 480 and 510 all the time and alkalinity at 8.5. My SPS love it and my acros are doing fine, tons of growth and lots of color. I have heard of people getting bleaching with high alkalinity but I have not seen this.

"We owe most of our great inventions and most of the achievements of genius to idleness, either enforced or voluntary. The human mind prefers to be spoon-fed with the thoughts of others, but deprived of such nourishment it will, reluctantly, begin to think for itself-and such thinking, remember, is original thinking and may have valuable results." (Agatha Christie)

Current Tank Info: 210 Gallon Mixed Reef
nuclearheli is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/09/2011, 08:18 AM   #3
cnaegler
Registered Member

Yeah, i figured it really wasn't the level but the quick jump to that level....it was about a 100 ppm jump, as best as i can tell anyways. I can't figure it out cause nothing else haso changed.

You can want in one hand and crap in the other and see which one fills up first!!

Current Tank Info: Downsizing to a 120 BB SPS tank, 6205 &6305 Tunze on 7095 controller, Current USA extreme 8 x 54 fixture
Unread 11/09/2011, 08:38 AM   #4
dixiedog
Registered Member

I had a dosing pump accident that jacked my Ca up to 750 overnight. I did about twenty water changes (beat my cyano in the process, LOL) and everything seemed cool.

Two months later, I developed STN in two colonies of garf bonzai and two colonies of cali tort. The torts both eventually died, the garfs recovered.

I don't know if this was some sort of delayed reaction to the calcium or if there was another factor involved.

BTW use the salifert kit on low res, that way it goes to 1000.

dixiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/09/2011, 09:33 AM   #5
cnaegler
Registered Member

Wow! That is really high! I thought maybe that was the culprit but maybe i'm wrong. Only the acros are STNing from the base upso i can't figure it out.

Unread 11/09/2011, 09:47 AM   #6
dixiedog
Registered Member

One common cause of that is AEFW. Any sign of eggs or bite marks?

Unread 11/09/2011, 10:02 AM   #7
cnaegler
Registered Member

Not that i can see....been checking for redbugs and AEFW everyday. It all happened almost overnight. Plus i haven't added anything new in months. Can't seem to figure it out.

Unread 11/09/2011, 10:18 AM   #8
khalid
Registered Member

Make sure your Alk kit is not old and giving you wrong readings that happened to me when my Alk got too high.

khalid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/09/2011, 09:49 PM   #9
bertoni
RC Mod

You can use multiple syringes and add the results together to see what the calcium level is. Usually, this type of spike doesn't seem to cause any problems, but some moderate (10-15%) water changes might be a good safety measure.

Unread 11/09/2011, 10:19 PM   #10
dixiedog
Registered Member

So what was the Ca at, did you get a reading on it yet?

Unread 11/09/2011, 10:47 PM   #11
gjk
Registered Member

This is very interesting to me as I have just experienced something very similar. Have been enjoying many months now of good growth and color of the sps corals in my three year plus mixed 300 reef. Two weeks ago I had a slight drop in Alk due to auto dose issue. It amounted to a drop from very low eights to low sevens. The next week it slowly corrected itself as I had restored the pump head to correct alignment on my auto doser. In this same week I experienced a Ca spike as my reactor went to a fast drip for the whole week. The spike was to a high of just over 500 from a very consistent 420-430. My paremeters have been very stable for a long time. I am experiencing a small amount of STN at the end of the above described two week period.

gjk is offline   Reply With Quote