Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/04/2017, 07:34 AM   #26
sde1500
Registered Member

lol wow doubt you'll have algae in your tank for a few years now. They actually aren't entirely sure how long it lasts in the tank so def will be working for a while. Just keep an eye on everything, I know some have reported corals not doing well. Overwhelming majority had no issues but since you did a crazy amount of dosing good to watch out.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2548422

Current Tank Info: 65 gallon mixed reef, Eshopps sump and HOB overflow, RO-110int skimmer, Reefbreeder 32" photons V1.
sde1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/05/2017, 01:59 AM   #27
Xxero
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassAttack View Post
haha! Oh boy, I did a dose once per day for 5 days. Based on the original messageboard post that you provided it looked like you did a 14 day course because it was split up by day 1, 2, etc. Since it was a bit pricey I thought I'd try with 5 days and buy more if it seemed to be working. Whoops!!! I did not realize it was a "one and done" sort of treatment. LOL, the good news is that there seems to be no harm done to my tank from this over-dosing (the instructions with the pack recommended a 5 day dose so again this is why I figured it was fine). I suppose I will have another 5 doses in storage now in case it grows back Thanks for the clarification!
Yikes! You should be okay though. A few people on the original thread did double and triple doses, and some followed the instructions that came with the tablets. At higher doses, a couple of people reported having cyano outbreaks afterwards, so you might keep an eye out for that.

Just to recap the gist of the original thread:

* The recommended dose is 20mg per gallon of actual tank water. ex: For a 100g system use TEN 200mg capsules = 2000mg.
* This is a single dose treatment method. Dissolve the contents of the capsules into a cup of RO/DI water, and pour this mixture into your sump or into a high flow area of your tank.
* The recommended treatment period is 15 days. Most people removed their activated carbon and GFO during this time, and the majority also suspended performing any water changes. Just add the mixture to your tank, and let it sit in there for 15 days.
* If your protein skimmer overreacts, then you can remove the collection cup for a few days and just let it overflow back into your sump. (I ran my skimmer for the duration of the treatment period, and I saw no ill effects.)
* If I remember correctly, ATS screens were unaffected, and people with Macro-Algae reported no harm done to their "plants".
* After the 15 day treatment period, perform a 20% water change. Replenish your activated carbon and GFO (if normally used), and carry on life as usual.

Current Tank Info: 65g Mixed Reef Display - 15g Macro Algae/Refugium - 40b Sump

Last edited by Xxero; 11/05/2017 at 02:34 AM.
Xxero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/11/2017, 12:30 PM   #28
outy
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xxero View Post
: For a 100g system use TEN 200mg capsules = 2000mg. :
One site listing "reef flux" as a cure states 10 caps will do 200g

I will try it next week using 10 caps on 250G and report back. Sometimes less is more. no need overdoing it

https://premiumaquatics.com/products...reef-flux.html

outy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/11/2017, 06:53 PM   #29
Xxero
Registered Member

Cool. Let us know how that turns out.

The dosages and recommendations that I listed above are based off of the dosages that the original poster of this thread used:

http://reefcentral.com/forums//showthread.php?t=2607958

This was not a Scientifically/Pharmaceutically based Bryopsis eradication remedy. In fact, if you read the product description of the "Reef Flux" link that you posted it states: "Reef Flux is a fluconazole aquarium treatment that is effective against certain fungal fish infections. To avoid unintended nutrient spikes, Reef Flux should not be used in tanks with large Bryopsis or Caulerpa refugiums."

The OP was so frustrated with his Bryopsis battle that he threw caution to the wind and dosed his tank with Fluconazole. And it worked. Because of that, he created a thread stating what he did and what the results were. His results at that dosage were total Bryopsis eradication with no harm done to tank inhabitants or water chemistry. So myself and a lot of other people in that thread followed suit and copied what he did.

Most of the Reefers in that thread had the same results as the original poster. But some people (and maybe they had a worst case Bryopsis scenario) had to dose their tanks a second time to completely wipe it out. So this would be my only concern with trying lower dosages. If in the end you have to treat again, then less wasn't necessarily more.

Current Tank Info: 65g Mixed Reef Display - 15g Macro Algae/Refugium - 40b Sump
Xxero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2017, 04:42 PM   #30
outy
Moved On

Just dosed an hour ago. 10 pills for a 260 ish real water volume.

dumped it all in a cup a tank water and threw it in. A little chunky at first.

Took skimmer offline, ill wait a day or two and see if it goes wonky

I started with a slight patch of bry, and some slight gha on some coral. I scrubbed the bry patch and it was not growing back quickly.

outy is offline   Reply With Quote