Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/29/2015, 09:37 AM   #26
mhucasey
Acros & wieners, oh my!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmutt View Post
Hm.... I must say, these comments and question do have merit..
Aaahhhh....no. Remember "my tank is full of brown turds"?. He gathered all kinds of sympathy then showed us a tank full of colorful Acros

See my tank thread here: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2468548

Current Tank Info: 120 Gallon Rimless Starphire Shallow Reef. Reef Octopus Diablo EXT-200 skimmer, Chaeto Reactor, Lighting: ATI Sunpower 8X39W, 6X39W Sunpower
mhucasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2015, 09:49 AM   #27
tomae
Registered Member

Hello Andrew.
Its reef is always a spectacle, a different way of looking at a tank. I love the way you pack your acros, makes me think differently .... table around and stags in center.

I'm afraid the answer ;P but how do you hold their colonies around the edges? as well as if you are floating? I see that there is no type of shim under them.

Congratulations friend, you do something really different and very beautiful
Leo

tomae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2015, 10:19 AM   #28
reefmutt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhucasey View Post
Aaahhhh....no. Remember "my tank is full of brown turds"?. He gathered all kinds of sympathy then showed us a tank full of colorful Acros
D'oh.... That's true!!! Sahin!! I don't know who's side I'm on....
I'm a true Canadian..

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2015, 10:22 AM   #29
reefmutt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles View Post
You have a great reputation still Sahin, i and many others consider you to be a huge asset to this community and a good friend - don't ever doubt how much you're valued here mate

Why else would we put up with all the lies about having no new acros..........

History Reality Check

It was Bello who started hiding a few frags and then i decided if it was ok for him then it was ok for me to hide a couple of pieces. You then took it to another level and hid half of divers den acro inventory behind your rock work

I'll take some sumpy equipment pics so you can see what's what down below when i get a chance, speaking of pics i think it's a blue moon tonight..........

Remember this piece

At night with the camera phone pressed against the glass and the flash on, the acro is 5" from the glass.

Zooming in on the image you can see some pretty decent detail captured.

Piccy Tip

If you are using a phone camera and want to capture some nice images of your corals try using the flash at night and select those acros who's pigments appear colorful under the flash. Most stuff will be yucky and or brown but a few will look even more beautiful than you realised when photographed at night.
You must have the phone flat against the glass or the flash will reflect and fog out your pics with glare. Using the flash removes any shake or movement on your behalf as does resting against the glass. There's no reason every person with a camera phone can't capture the same sort of images as there is nothing at all tricky to using a camera phone if you do it this way after lights out. Everyone should give it a try, you'll be surprised at the results

Have a night time SSC pic Matt, pics of acros always make things better i find mate

Ok ok Andrew... I'm with you!! A macro acro will get me every time...
Those are some very impressive phone pics..
Which phone?

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
Unread 09/29/2015, 10:39 AM   #30
sahin
Ultimate Reefer

Biggles: So all this time you had a NASA Luminous 1020MegaPixel Spacephone...! Look at the freaking closeup capability on that spacephone!!! Why didnt you share this info a few days ago...I could have bought one of these instead of committing to buying a DSLR from my bro... I need a new phone as well... I could have hit two in one!

Whilst your acro colour-up skills are top of the deck, your reefing related equipment sharing ideas is at the bottom of the deck mate.
You need to up your game in that dept.

PS lovely acro mate. Looks very happy and those blooming shots are amazing.

PPS: seeing as we know now that you have this super duper spacephone capable of seeing individual cells on the acro tissue, and that there are at least 50 acros and maybe 100 flubber hidden in the non peninsula tank, I expect a nice dozen of acro shots per week. No excuses from now on.

sahin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2015, 10:48 AM   #31
reefmutt
Registered Member

Not to mention that there is no doubt a water tight spaceman suit for this super duper phone!! Next time the frog goes for a dip tell him to take the phone with him!

Unread 09/29/2015, 10:50 AM   #32
sahin
Ultimate Reefer

Quote:
Which phone?
Due to the lack loyalty...and the fact that you have around $20000 worth camera and lens (moose dollars are quite weak arent they? Unlike the real dollars) I expect much better pics posted on your thread mate. And a high quality video too.

PS you cant let Biggles show off better images with a fancy spancy toy phone compared to your DSLR.

sahin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2015, 10:56 AM   #33
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

Subscribed.

65G SPS Reef- ATI 8 X 39W PM; TM [Bacto-Balance A-; Reef Actif; Nitribiotic; Iodine]
DiscusHeckel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2015, 11:28 AM   #34
reefmutt
Registered Member

Yep.... The Loonie, as we affectionately call our play money is not particularly strong right now...
Hm.. I guess I'll have to step up my photo game a bit...
I have yet to try video with this camera in the tank.. Unfortunately video can't be wified to the phone from the camera... So it's more complicated for me since I am sooo enamored of computers..

Unread 09/29/2015, 11:54 AM   #35
pstank1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles View Post
There's no pressure Mark, as long as the display looks like a rainbow with the runs took a dump in it i'll be happy. Anything less is unacceptable

Andrew, you have a way with words mate. The frosty smurfcicle is looking great, even better with the lights out. Reminds me of an old girlfriend

pstank1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2015, 06:59 PM   #36
shih87
Registered Member

Sorry come to say hi late here. Is this old equipment set but a restart with new design? Any new equipment that I overlook here?

Looks good and what is your total fish number this time?

R二R TOTM Oct 2017
Aquaforest ROTM June 2019
shih87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2015, 07:09 PM   #37
cFloor
Registered Member

Although I do love the idea of the peninsula, I can see where it would create some distinct challenges. Can't wait for the first FTS of your "new" tank. Awesome macros! My phone, as seen in my thread doesn't work out too well for me.

Instagram: @cfloorsaltwater
cFloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2015, 11:12 AM   #38
Chibils
halide loyalist

How do you like the Lumia 1020? Am going to upgrade soon and have really been looking at WP as an option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahin View Post
PPS: seeing as we know now that you have this super duper spacephone capable of seeing individual cells on the acro tissue, and that there are at least 50 acros and maybe 100 flubber hidden in the non peninsula tank, I expect a nice dozen of acro shots per week. No excuses from now on.
Sahin... Since this is a hard number to divide into 12, we should round up to 14 per week or 2 per day. Don't want to hurt Buggle's head doing the math on 12/7...

Current Tank Info: 75G new world cichlid, 25G reef in planning
Chibils is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2015, 01:14 PM   #39
stevenc1187
Registered Member

Beautiful

stevenc1187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/06/2015, 04:51 AM   #40
biggles
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhucasey View Post
Exactly Matt, Sahin will turn on moosey Matt soon enough, just as he's done to the rest of us..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomae View Post
Hello Andrew.
Its reef is always a spectacle, a different way of looking at a tank. I love the way you pack your acros, makes me think differently .... table around and stags in center.

I'm afraid the answer ;P but how do you hold their colonies around the edges? as well as if you are floating? I see that there is no type of shim under them.

Congratulations friend, you do something really different and very beautiful
Leo
Thanks very much for the kind words Leo
You're the first person to actually notice/mention that some of the acros are indeed totally separate from the main rock structures. There are several small rocks outcrops with just a few acros on each that are the solution to having so many tabling acros down low with little shading issues. The rocks are glued to 1/4" acrylic bases that keep them very stable despite having acros hanging out from them. I did this in several spots on the right island so that i can move these small outcrops away from the growing acros near them as time goes on - the rock scape can grow with the colonies to maintain the wide low spread i want.
There is sand between the main structure and about five or six of the acros on the edges of the right island which gives the illusion that they are growing out of nowhere in a way
I'll make a little video if you like when i get a chance so i can lift one up and show you exactly how they look when pulled out of the sand that's hiding the acrylic bases. The green soli in the previous pic is on one such outcrop.

Quote:
D'oh.... That's true!!! Sahin!! I don't know who's side I'm on....
I'm a true Canadian..
You're on the side of acro truth Matt - mine.........

Quote:
Which phone?
The Nokia lumina 1020. When my apple 4s phone contract expired i didn't want to change phones because i was used to the 4s and i don't like change..... i looked up the best phone camera and then rang my provider and renewed my mobile contract to get the new Nokia. He said he would need to send me a smaller sim card than was in the 4s and i told him i didn't need it because i was never going to activate it, i just wanted the camera. He started laughing then and asked me if i was serious, after i told him i really was just renewing my phone contract to get a free camera he laughed a lot more and we got along like a house on fire.

Recently i once again renewed the phone contract but this time i got a new apple and a sim card with it. The Nokia will never make a call.............

Quote:
Biggles: So all this time you had a NASA Luminous 1020MegaPixel Spacephone...! Look at the freaking closeup capability on that spacephone!!! Why didnt you share this info a few days ago...I could have bought one of these instead of committing to buying a DSLR from my bro... I need a new phone as well... I could have hit two in one!
I prob shouldn't have mentioned the fact i'm never going to actually use the Nokia as a phone then............

This acro has ugly colored polyps which annoys the you know what out of me tbh.

Unread 10/06/2015, 05:38 AM   #41
biggles
Registered Member

Quote:
Due to the lack loyalty...and the fact that you have around $20000 worth camera and lens (moose dollars are quite weak arent they? Unlike the real dollars) I expect much better pics posted on your thread mate. And a high quality video too.

PS you cant let Biggles show off better images with a fancy spancy toy phone compared to your DSLR.
And there it is.......... didn't take Sahin long to turn on you Matt
Nasty piece of work is our Sahin.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscusHeckel View Post
Subscribed.
Thanks for still putting up with me Bulent

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstank1 View Post
Andrew, you have a way with words mate. The frosty smurfcicle is looking great, even better with the lights out. Reminds me of an old girlfriend
I'm pretty much a literary genius is what you're saying mate.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by shih87 View Post
Sorry come to say hi late here. Is this old equipment set but a restart with new design? Any new equipment that I overlook here?

Looks good and what is your total fish number this time?
Hey Shih, it's just the same old boring tank tank and equipment as before mate. I have lost three fish to jumping in the last 8 weeks so i have 16 now i think. I'm not buying any more jumpy fish like wrasse until i sort the hood out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cFloor View Post
Although I do love the idea of the peninsula, I can see where it would create some distinct challenges. Can't wait for the first FTS of your "new" tank. Awesome macros! My phone, as seen in my thread doesn't work out too well for me.
Hey mate, i could manage the peninsula i think if i had no sand ever, BB is super easy to maintain water quality and i actually think all new reefers should start their first tank BB until the first 3-6 months of nutrient related cycles passes.
There's not really anything new about the tank other than i now have pumps on the back wall, all very boring really lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chibils View Post
How do you like the Lumia 1020? Am going to upgrade soon and have really been looking at WP as an option.

Sahin... Since this is a hard number to divide into 12, we should round up to 14 per week or 2 per day. Don't want to hurt Buggle's head doing the math on 12/7...
For obvious reasons i can't comment on the Nokia's phone related features other than to say that it is still way ahead of any other camera including my new iphone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenc1187 View Post
Beautiful
Thanks very much Steven

This is my mates dog Manny. I get to babysit Manny sometimes and we are good buddies. I called to him so he'd look at me for the pic but he shoved his nose into the couch and refused to co-operate. Just prior to settling down on the couch we had been out throwing a tennis ball in the paddock across the road until a pair of magpies started swooping Manny. He was pretty freaked out by his first encounter with nesting magpies and ran towards me.......... at this point i started running away from Manny the magpie magnet and yelling at him to get away from me........
After about 100 yrds the magpies left us alone but the damage was done.........

Dogs know when you betray them............ took half a bag of doggy chew treats to win him back over. He's part Kelpie so he tries to herd people and has that crazy stare that working dogs use on sheep to intimidate them. He wears a security guard dog jumper my mates partner bought for him when it's cold out............. my mate cops a lot of ridicule over that little gem of an idea his girlfriend had.

Unread 10/06/2015, 06:54 AM   #42
markalot

Nice dog, well the backside anyway. You sure he wasn't mooning you?

I love herding dogs, so smart ... at least they appear smart. We ended up with pappillons; french royalty dogs. Yea ... they are good at being docile and retreating when scared. I wanted a beagle.

Maybe those greenish polyps will show better color once it's been in captivity a while. Skin looks fantastic.

Unread 10/06/2015, 07:05 AM   #43
biggles
Registered Member

Dogs are cool

I've had that acro about 8 months so i'm not too hopeful unless it shoots new growth all over which is blue and fluoro rather than just at the edges. I don't hate it but the fact it's pretty shaggy during lights on aggravates the issue Mark.

Unread 10/06/2015, 09:01 AM   #44
braaap
Registered Member

Wow. Love the minimal rockwork. Very nice

braaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/06/2015, 10:38 AM   #45
bibarassa
Registered Member

Andrew, I'd like to see the acrylic base….

bibarassa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/06/2015, 11:08 AM   #46
pstank1
Registered Member

If I were a dog and my owner made me wear a dog hoodie like that, I think I'd be putting my bum in the face of all the humans near me as well.

I wonder, do they have moose sized hoodies for our Canadian friends? After watching a video of two Moose (mooses? meese? I think meese would be appropriate since more than one goose is referred to as geese and we're only one letter off) fighting in someones driveway on CNN, I would not be willing to try that. They followed it up with two 'roos fighting in the street, and I'm sad to say it had nothing on the moose fight.

pstank1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/06/2015, 06:24 PM   #47
M007
Acro Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstank1 View Post
If I were a dog and my owner made me wear a dog hoodie like that, I think I'd be putting my bum in the face of all the humans near me as well.

I wonder, do they have moose sized hoodies for our Canadian friends? After watching a video of two Moose (mooses? meese? I think meese would be appropriate since more than one goose is referred to as geese and we're only one letter off) fighting in someones driveway on CNN, I would not be willing to try that. They followed it up with two 'roos fighting in the street, and I'm sad to say it had nothing on the moose fight.
and to conclude

Current Tank Info: 250G SPS Mixed Reef. ATLAS 84x28x24. SuperMarin 250. Cebu Sun 3 x 250WMH Radiums 4 x 80W T5. Profilux 3 w/GHL dosing CA-ALK-MG. Moved by Tunze and Vertex. Reef Octopus 5K return.
M007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/06/2015, 07:22 PM   #48
bobssecrtsn
Registered Member

Biggles, you my friend, have some impressive phone capturing skills.

does Australia have better phones then the U.S?

Obama must be hiding it..

Unread 10/07/2015, 03:13 AM   #49
cugly
Dansreeftank

I will take the ugly acro from you buddy send it here.

Unread 10/07/2015, 10:36 PM   #50
Usernam Invalid
Moved On

Have been lurking you threads for awhile now and have to say I admire your approach to reefing. I can only hope to achieve this level of success.

Usernam Invalid is offline   Reply With Quote