Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/11/2013, 08:09 PM   #1
Daniel Prado
Registered Member

Concave Reef

Hi Guys!!!!!!

How are you?

My name is Daniel and I am a medical doctor (Psychiatrist) here in Brazil. I would like to introduce to you my new reef project which the name is "CONCAVE REEF".

This project was started in march/2012 in my new home!!!!!!! I hope that you guys enjoy and help me to build a very nice reef!!!!!!

I will making some weekly updates in the pictures of the project!!!!!!

Many thank`s....

Daniel

The first question: Acrylic or glass aquarium? What do you think guys?

Starting the project:
Separating the construction: My wife rules!!!!! hahaha

Marking the foundation and the drills drilling

Current Tank Info: Starting a 1300G reef tank
Daniel Prado is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/12/2013, 07:59 AM   #2
cartouche
Registered Member

Looks like you have a long & very enjoyable journey ahead of you !!

Should be an absolute masterpiece when done, i'm tagging along....

cartouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/12/2013, 12:47 PM   #3
dave.m
Registered Member

Hi,

A question for you: "Casa Máquina" - does that mean the mechanicals for the aquarium only or for the whole building?

Regarding your question, acrylic or glass?: My personal preference is for glass as it is less prone to wear and scratching than acrylic. However, glass weighs a lot more than acrylic, and depending on the height of the aquarium, glass can be much more expensive than acrylic. Considering that you are looking for a curved front pane on your aquarium, I suspect a custom piece of curved low-iron glass will likely become too expensive (unless you're independently wealthy) so acrylic may become your only viable option in the end. I think you should investigate both options to get the best price.

Thx,

Dave.M

Current Tank Info: None. Nil. Zip. Nada.

Last edited by dave.m; 06/12/2013 at 12:58 PM.
dave.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/12/2013, 08:25 PM   #4
Daniel Prado
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartouche View Post
Looks like you have a long & very enjoyable journey ahead of you !!

Should be an absolute masterpiece when done, i'm tagging along....
Hello Cartouche,
How are you? Many thank's for your comments!!!!!!!!!!! Really, a very long journey!!!!!!!!!!!!
Rgds
Daniel

Unread 06/12/2013, 08:40 PM   #5
Daniel Prado
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave.m View Post
Hi,

A question for you: "Casa Máquina" - does that mean the mechanicals for the aquarium only or for the whole building?

Regarding your question, acrylic or glass?: My personal preference is for glass as it is less prone to wear and scratching than acrylic. However, glass weighs a lot more than acrylic, and depending on the height of the aquarium, glass can be much more expensive than acrylic. Considering that you are looking for a curved front pane on your aquarium, I suspect a custom piece of curved low-iron glass will likely become too expensive (unless you're independently wealthy) so acrylic may become your only viable option in the end. I think you should investigate both options to get the best price.

Thx,

Dave.M
Hello Dave,
I am so sorry for the portuguese words in the engineering drawings. "Casa de Maquinas" means a mechanicals room just for the reef!!!!!!!!
Regarding acrylic or glass it is important to mention that here in Brazil the most reefs are made from glass. Acrylic reefs here are dificult to find and to build. Personaly, I prefer glass aquariums because it is more difficulty to scratch as you said. In any way, the big challenge of this reef is the frontal concave side. Regarding Pieter van Suijilekom reef, I never see any other with this design. Did you see?
Rgds
Daniel

Unread 06/12/2013, 11:57 PM   #6
vair
Registered Member

Like Dave.M I'd go glass. Let us know what that curved glass costs, you might need your own Psychiatrist once you find out. So much simpler to go straight glass and makes for better viewing IMO but then you'd have to rename your build.
Good luck, looks like fun.

"go snowboarding" www.sourceboards.com

Current Tank Info: Building a in wall 300G reef tank.
vair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/13/2013, 03:23 AM   #7
dave.m
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Prado
Regarding Pieter van Suijilekom reef, I never see any other with this design. Did you see?
I have seen a few pictures of gigantic aquariums owned by Arab oil billionaires, but each of these aquariums, including the one you mentioned owned by Pieter Six Metre, are custom creations, i.e. one of a kind.

Dave.M

Unread 06/13/2013, 05:48 AM   #8
Daniel Prado
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vair View Post
Like Dave.M I'd go glass. Let us know what that curved glass costs, you might need your own Psychiatrist once you find out. So much simpler to go straight glass and makes for better viewing IMO but then you'd have to rename your build.
Good luck, looks like fun.
Hello Vair,
How are you?
My Psychiatrist told me that I stoped my medicines hahaha
I found similar prices here in Brazil in Acrylic and in Glass, more/less 8000 US!!!! However, it is difficult to find some good company that can build the frontal curve side!!!!!!!
Many thanks!!!!
Daniel

Unread 06/13/2013, 08:35 AM   #9
Daniel Prado
Registered Member

Quote:
I have seen a few pictures of gigantic aquariums owned by Arab oil billionaires, but each of these aquariums, including the one you mentioned owned by Pieter Six Metre, are custom creations, i.e. one of a kind.

Dave.M
Hello Dave.M,
I also have seen these big reefs, but just the Pieter with curve glass.
A friend of mine here in Brazil, Fernando Garcia, made a drawing of my firsts ideas of the concave reef!!!!

The measures are in cm. it is just x by 2.50 to get inchs!!!!!

Many thanks,

Daniel

Last edited by Daniel Prado; 06/13/2013 at 08:37 AM. Reason: I forgot to explain about the measures in cm!!!!!!
Unread 06/13/2013, 07:31 PM   #10
Euler Kernighan
The "DIY Guy"

Hello Daniel,

it's awesome project! about glass or acrylic, have you decided yet? IMHO glass is the way to go. As you mentioned down in Brazil it's hard to see any acrylic tank and it's even more difficult to see acrylic tank manufacturers, so to eschew hassle glass is your best bet!

in a curved shape tank like yours either circulation and illumination tend to be a real messy, what are your thoughts on this matter?

keep the good energy flowing!!!

Unread 06/14/2013, 07:39 AM   #11
worm5406
Not afriad to admit wrong

Nice build so far.. Maybe you should go into the acrylic business, too. Imagine the possibilities.

is that a 10m x 8m layout?

Current Tank Info: Tank:300g Mixed Reef 300+lb LR|4" LS|5x MP40W|75g fuge|5x RadionPRO|RO DB250 skimmer|Apex
worm5406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/17/2013, 09:18 PM   #12
Daniel Prado
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euler Kernighan View Post
Hello Daniel,

it's awesome project! about glass or acrylic, have you decided yet? IMHO glass is the way to go. As you mentioned down in Brazil it's hard to see any acrylic tank and it's even more difficult to see acrylic tank manufacturers, so to eschew hassle glass is your best bet!

in a curved shape tank like yours either circulation and illumination tend to be a real messy, what are your thoughts on this matter?

keep the good energy flowing!!!
Hello Euler,
Whats up!!!!!!!! Yes, glass is the best choice here in Brazil!!!!!!!
Regarding your circulation question at the beginning of the project I was think in go with closed loop, but I have decided to change for Vortecs, actually a lot of then to solve this matter!!!!!!
Many thank's my friend,
Daniel

Unread 06/17/2013, 09:30 PM   #13
Daniel Prado
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by worm5406 View Post
Nice build so far.. Maybe you should go into the acrylic business, too. Imagine the possibilities.

is that a 10m x 8m layout?
Hello Worm5406,
Many thank's for help. Acrylic, is really a very good option, unfortunately not here n Brazil!!!!!!! Here, glass is the best option.
Regarding your layout question, NO. I made a mistake, actually we have to divide for 2,5 to find inchs measures, not multiply as I wrote!!!!! So, sorry!!!!!
A very good friend of mine here in Brazil, Walmyr Buzatto, made some drawings about the layou!!!!!

Rgds,
Daniel

Unread 06/20/2013, 06:54 PM   #14
Euler Kernighan
The "DIY Guy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Prado View Post
Hello Euler,
Whats up!!!!!!!! Yes, glass is the best choice here in Brazil!!!!!!!
Regarding your circulation question at the beginning of the project I was think in go with closed loop, but I have decided to change for Vortecs, actually a lot of then to solve this matter!!!!!!
Many thank's my friend,
Daniel
vortechs, uhn?! are we talking about mp60 (x4) on the side panels and some mp40 in the back panel?

anyway if vortech is your option it's better keep some spare parts in the shelf, a lot of so to speak..

tell us more about your project what are you planning to keep in, lighting, support systems like natural seawater or salt mix, filtration, dosing...

keep us posted!

Unread 06/20/2013, 07:05 PM   #15
owenspackman
Registered Member

i love builds like this. Looks like it will be fantastic. i'm tagging along!

owenspackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/23/2013, 07:51 PM   #16
Daniel Prado
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euler Kernighan View Post
vortechs, uhn?! are we talking about mp60 (x4) on the side panels and some mp40 in the back panel?

anyway if vortech is your option it's better keep some spare parts in the shelf, a lot of so to speak..

tell us more about your project what are you planning to keep in, lighting, support systems like natural seawater or salt mix, filtration, dosing...

keep us posted!
Hi Euler,

Yes, Vortechs!!!! I personally do not like the mp60`s because they are too strong and I have a little bit afraid of to hurt some corals. So, I will prefer the MP40`s. 4 in the back panels, 4 in the side panels and a few more in deep places of the reef.
I have been used Vortechs for a long time and I did not have any trouble with then. However, many thank`s for the tip.
Lighting: At least 35 AI Vega Color modules.
Reeflo Barracuda for the return.
Apex.
Siporax.
Biopellets.
Skimmer: 2 Deltecs 3070
Deltec Calcium Reactor!!!!!!

Rgds

Daniel

The Skimmer has come!!!!!!

Unread 06/23/2013, 07:57 PM   #17
Daniel Prado
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenspackman View Post
i love builds like this. Looks like it will be fantastic. i'm tagging along!
Hello owenspackman,

How are you?

Many thanks for your quote!!!!

By the way: The first engineering drawings of the concrete platform of the aquarium!!!!!!

Unread 06/23/2013, 08:10 PM   #18
Daniel Prado
Registered Member

One of the most difficult aspects of my project was to calculate the curvature of the reef, because I tried to got the best design without glass distortion. For this one more time, my friend Walmyr Buzzato create this:

The length of arc (in our case, the flat plate size before the plate being bent) is given by the following formula:

In this formula, 'b' is the "STRING" and 'h' is the "ARROW". From this formula, I put together a simple excel spreadsheet to calculate the arc, and then you can use 'goal seek' tool to get the value that you want the arc, setting either of the variables:

The two blank cells, 'b' and 'h', can be edited. For example, if you want to check if the calculation is correct, simply enter 2XH = b (ie, values ​​for the semi-circle, where the rope and arrow = diameter = radius). Putting 1600 to 'h' results in 5026.55 to S, which is exactly 1600 x PI.

We did the calculation by placing arrows of 300 and string of 3200, and resulted in S = 3274.48. Using the 'Goal Seek' Excel by setting h = 300 and vary the rope leaving (b), this results in 3195.41.

I will use this value in the project!!!!!

If anybody wants this excell formula to calculate some reef arcs is just ask me!!!!!!

Rgds

Daniel

Unread 06/23/2013, 10:58 PM   #19
rpjaws74
Registered Member

definitely tagging along on this one

Current Tank Info: 500 glln system/ Reef
rpjaws74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/24/2013, 06:14 AM   #20
explor3r
Registered Member

Tagging along as well very very interesting...vamos vamos

explor3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/24/2013, 06:28 AM   #21
Newbie Aquarist
Reefing is my middle name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Prado View Post
One of the most difficult aspects of my project was to calculate the curvature of the reef, because I tried to got the best design without glass distortion. For this one more time, my friend Walmyr Buzzato create this:

The length of arc (in our case, the flat plate size before the plate being bent) is given by the following formula:

In this formula, 'b' is the "STRING" and 'h' is the "ARROW". From this formula, I put together a simple excel spreadsheet to calculate the arc, and then you can use 'goal seek' tool to get the value that you want the arc, setting either of the variables:

The two blank cells, 'b' and 'h', can be edited. For example, if you want to check if the calculation is correct, simply enter 2XH = b (ie, values ​​for the semi-circle, where the rope and arrow = diameter = radius). Putting 1600 to 'h' results in 5026.55 to S, which is exactly 1600 x PI.

We did the calculation by placing arrows of 300 and string of 3200, and resulted in S = 3274.48. Using the 'Goal Seek' Excel by setting h = 300 and vary the rope leaving (b), this results in 3195.41.

I will use this value in the project!!!!!

If anybody wants this excell formula to calculate some reef arcs is just ask me!!!!!!

Rgds

Daniel
Great build and planning. But with all those numbers explaining about the glass has went way above my pay grade.

Newbie Aquarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/24/2013, 07:54 PM   #22
FattyK21
Registered Member

WOW this is gonna be awesome man
Cant wait to see how this turns out
Will def be following along

Good Luck

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=24816891#post24816891

Current Tank Info: 60g Rimless
FattyK21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/24/2013, 08:01 PM   #23
MrineLfRlz
Registered Member

i cant wait to see more progress the build is always the funnest part to watch IMO

Current Tank Info: BubbleMagus(calc.,alk/Clearwater CW-300 Scrubber//56wAQUA UV/Reef Oct.SRO6000SSS Protein sk./1/10HP Chiller/GENESIS AWC
MrineLfRlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/25/2013, 03:02 AM   #24
dave.m
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Prado
Siporax
Really? I haven't even heard Siporax mentioned since the 1990s. Is this product common in Brazil?

Dave.M

Unread 06/25/2013, 03:15 AM   #25
xxvietxjustinxx
Registered Member

Quote:
Really? I haven't even heard Siporax mentioned since the 1990s. Is this product common in Brazil?

Dave.M
Siporax + Brazil at its best

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=1744289

xxvietxjustinxx is offline   Reply With Quote