Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > Zoanthids
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/03/2014, 02:38 PM   #1
Hentz
Registered Member

Sunny D Confusion

So my buddy cut me a frag of Sunny D's from his very vibrant strand of Sunny D's. Well his look like true, BRIGHT, Sunny D's, where as the frag he gave me is very bright.

The left orange ones are the Sunny D's he gave me. The Sunny D's on the right are just some random ones I won in an auction recently.

Question is: Why are the Sunny D's he gave me so bright and orange with a white skirt?

Here is a picture of the mother colony that had the Sunny D's in the picture above on the left, (Orange and Vibrant ones)

Unread 06/03/2014, 02:49 PM   #2
leveldrummer
Reefer

There are several reasons, These corals dont have the same lineage, They are simply given a silly name that represents what they look like according to other zoas that someone gave a silly name to. and finally, these corals tend to morph and change color under different lights and enviroments. so its possible that given time in your tank, they will both eventually morph into similar looking zoas.

leveldrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/04/2014, 08:56 AM   #3
Tenor
Registered Member

Light will make Sunny D bright in Orange if you place it close to the top but will turn into beautiful green center if it on the lower light area.

It's normal reaction for Sunny D

Tenor is offline   Reply With Quote