Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/02/2018, 09:30 AM   #1
BClute
Registered Member

Mag quarantine Try #2

So on Tuesday I got in a Mag that turned out to not be a Mag.. well anyways I called LA and they started a refund and I bought another one which came in today. I'm psyched! It's a purple color base which is exactly what I wanted. Here she is acclimating, waiting to
Go in the HT. I think she looks pretty good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BClute is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2018, 09:33 AM   #2
WatDatThing
Registered Member

The tentacles look more like a mag. Was it also from LA?

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

WatDatThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2018, 09:33 AM   #3
WatDatThing
Registered Member

PS:. Good luck.

Unread 02/02/2018, 09:49 AM   #4
BClute
Registered Member

Mag quarantine Try #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatDatThing View Post
The tentacles look more like a mag. Was it also from LA?

Yup, I'm a 1000% sure this one is a Mag haha. I've looked at so many pics the past couple days and comparisons haha. I just put her in the HT. I'm hoping since the first nem that's gone through my QT tank is doing great I hope this means I at least have my process down.

Here's a pic

Unread 02/02/2018, 10:13 AM   #5
Gig 'em
Registered Member

Nice. Looks to be the same strain I got. For some reason I've had bad luck with this particular strain, just randomly decline in health over time after looking healthy for months. I don't know if it's environmental or if there is something in my systems that it's vulnerable to. Best of luck with it and keep us informed!

Gig 'em is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2018, 10:14 AM   #6
BClute
Registered Member

Mag quarantine Try #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gig 'em View Post
Nice. Looks to be the same strain I got. For some reason I've had bad luck with this particular strain, just randomly decline in health over time after looking healthy for months. I don't know if it's environmental or if there is something in my systems that it's vulnerable to. Best of luck with it and keep us informed!

Ughhh that's not what I wanted to hear! Haha. Do you know what location the ones you've had bad luck with came from?

Also how does the condition look of the nem I got ?

Unread 02/02/2018, 10:18 AM   #7
Gig 'em
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BClute View Post
Ughhh that's not what I wanted to hear! Haha. Do you know what location the ones you've had bad luck with came from?

Also how does the condition look of the nem I got ?

They didn't specify. But I know LA uses the same vendor I got mine from and they seem to get the identical purple/green ones in regularly. I assume from the same reef that is loaded with them.

Unread 02/02/2018, 10:26 AM   #8
BClute
Registered Member

Quote:
They didn't specify. But I know LA uses the same vendor I got mine from and they seem to get the identical purple/green ones in regularly. I assume from the same reef that is loaded with them.

Interesting. LA said this one was from Indonesia online then said Asia on the bag which is even a broader statement, but that could be completely fabricated as no one would ever know. That's a shame that these strains don't do well as the purple colored foot is my favorite. Have you seen other hobbyist have success with them? I know another RC user just got the same color strain but his was from Africa supposedly. That being said, The first "Mag" that I got Tuesday was also supposed to be from Africa and it turned out to not even be a Mag haha. Just goes to show how much a label means lol.

Unread 02/02/2018, 12:32 PM   #9
BClute
Registered Member

Quote:

How much flow do you recommend using in the hospital tank? I have a really small wave maker like power head in the HT, but don't want to stress out the Mag while it's healing. Before I was Just using a HOB filter and 2 air stones for circulation.

Unread 02/02/2018, 03:47 PM   #10
Gig 'em
Registered Member

Quote:
How much flow do you recommend using in the hospital tank? I have a really small wave maker like power head in the HT, but don't want to stress out the Mag while it's healing. Before I was Just using a HOB filter and 2 air stones for circulation.

A decent amount. Not enough flow to make the anemone blow over, and no direct flow, but enough to keep the tentacles moving and enough flow over the mouth for any waste to be swept away.

Unread 02/03/2018, 11:30 AM   #11
BClute
Registered Member

So here's the new Mag after the first night of Cipro Treatment. Also, here's a picture of the First mag/BTA that I got. When I woke up he was deflated and detached himself. I turned the pump off to allow him to re- attach. Any one
Have any recommendations on what I should do with the deflated one?:

One I need advice on:

Unread 02/03/2018, 12:33 PM   #12
BClute
Registered Member

Quote:
So here's the new Mag after the first night of Cipro Treatment. Also, here's a picture of the First mag/BTA that I got. When I woke up he was deflated and detached himself. I turned the pump off to allow him to re- attach. Any one
Have any recommendations on what I should do with the deflated one?:

One I need advice on:

The deflated one is starting to inflate again.. I think it might have just been expelling some waste

Unread 02/03/2018, 12:57 PM   #13
WatDatThing
Registered Member

You bought 2? I only see one plate. You can put a mug in there for 2nd one to attach. It will climb up the mug.

Unread 02/03/2018, 01:02 PM   #14
BClute
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatDatThing View Post
You bought 2? I only see one plate. You can put a mug in there for 2nd one to attach. It will climb up the mug.

I didn't buy 2, the first one really isn't a Mag. it turned out to be a BTA with a pink base so LA sent me a replacement which 100% is a Mag. You can take a look at my first thread to see what I'm talking about. There's pics of the first one and why we think it's a BTA. That's a good idea with the mug. I might go ahead and do that as I couldn't fit 2 bowls in the tank. Good news is I talked to my LFS and they said they would take the first one for me.

Unread 02/03/2018, 07:24 PM   #15
Gig 'em
Registered Member

I would separate them. I've never had success with two anemones in one hospital tank.

Unread 02/03/2018, 08:41 PM   #16
pfan151
Registered Member

Definitely should get them separated

pfan151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/03/2018, 10:48 PM   #17
Pinkskunk
Registered Member

That’s a nice yellow tip mag, I passed on a very healthy mag looks like that at the store today and I regret every moment from that point on, I was in a hurry to go home as it’s a 3.5 hrs drive. I should have spend another 30 mins and turned around as I was told I can have it for a nice discount too, oh well, life....... the store is in NJ, iconic aquariums, for those who want to know

Btw folks are right don’t qt 2 nems together, especially a nice mag like that. I have always lost 1 of the mag when I qt 2 in a tank.

Best of luck to you and your mag.

Pinkskunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/03/2018, 10:53 PM   #18
BClute
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkskunk View Post
That’s a nice yellow tip mag, I passed on a very healthy mag looks like that at the store today and I regret every moment from that point on, I was in a hurry to go home as it’s a 3.5 hrs drive. I should have spend another 30 mins and turned around as I was told I can have it for a nice discount too, oh well, life....... the store is in NJ, iconic aquariums, for those who want to know

Btw folks are right don’t qt 2 nems together, especially a nice mag like that. I have always lost 1 of the mag when I qt 2 in a tank.

Best of luck to you and your mag.

Thanks for the heads up. The first one is going to the LFS store tomorrow. Hope the day and half they spent together didn't mess things up. I live in MD so only like an hour to NJ, so I'll have to look into how far away that place is. Thanks again!

Unread 02/03/2018, 11:06 PM   #19
BClute
Registered Member

Quote:
I would separate them. I've never had success with two anemones in one hospital tank.

Thanks for the heads up. The first one which I was worried about is back to normal. I think she was just expelling some waste. I am taking the first nem to the LFS tomorrow. They're going to out her in a DT under some halides, so hopefully she'll be nice and happy there. Hopefully the day and half I had them together doesn't mess everything up.

Unread 02/03/2018, 11:13 PM   #20
Pinkskunk
Registered Member

If you really want another mag you can ask him for pics and perhaps pay him and have him hold it for you for a month while you get your current mag complete qt and a few weeks in dt before dive on another. Go slow and steady, don’t rush as you may end up losing both and it will be a shame. It was very healthy and looks very established so you don’t have to rush.

Pinkskunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/05/2018, 06:23 PM   #21
BClute
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkskunk View Post
If you really want another mag you can ask him for pics and perhaps pay him and have him hold it for you for a month while you get your current mag complete qt and a few weeks in dt before dive on another. Go slow and steady, don’t rush as you may end up losing both and it will be a shame. It was very healthy and looks very established so you don’t have to rush.

I think you misunderstood. I def don't want 2 mags. The first nem that I ordered from LA turned out to be a BTA (check out my first thread). I called LA and they refunded me my $ and I ordered another Mag, so I'm taking the BTA (which was supposed to be a Mag) to the LFS .

Unread 02/05/2018, 11:35 PM   #22
BClute
Registered Member

Quote:

Hey gig, what's the worse you've seen a nem come from. Yesterday the first nem I got (the one I posted a pic of that was completely deflated) then stated to look better then took a turn for worst again and I thought it was a goner.. it looked like a an ice cream cone that had melted in a dessert sun for an hour. Anyways I left the lights off for 15 hours as I noticed it's been real sensitive to light and it's actually starting to come back again... any insight on what I should do?,

Also just bc I'm so happy here's a pic of the mag in my DT!;

Unread 02/06/2018, 06:40 AM   #23
Gig 'em
Registered Member

If the anemone bounces back to full inflated, there's always hope! When it never inflates or just looks like a deflated dad balloon no matter what, that's when your chances are pretty low.