Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > Zoanthids
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/23/2017, 07:37 PM   #1
RussC
Registered Member

two zoo frags...one doing well, the other not so much

Zoas are tough, right?. But one doesn't seem to be doing well. new tank here-two months old. Both zoa frags in same spot. Added 10-3-17. But one seems to be losing polyps while the ther doing well. Thoughts?

Parmeters are spot on with water changes every two weeks. CA 460, Alk 9, Temp 77, Salinity 35, Mag 1600, Temp 77. I have very limited load for now with only four, small corals and fish. So just curious if some of you guys can offer thoughts and suggestions. The polyps showing trouble are orange. The ones doing well are yellow. Never had zoas before and plan to have many more.

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer XL 425 Alive and Kick'n BOD 8-29-17
RussC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/24/2017, 05:46 AM   #2
Reef Junkie
Premium Member

Did the frag that’s not doing well ever open in your tank?
Were they purchased locally, or on-line (and shipped)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
B.B.

Current Tank Info: "Still" Living vicariously through cb747
Reef Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/24/2017, 07:35 AM   #3
RussC
Registered Member

Purchased both from the LFS on 10/3. Both have been doing very well, until I noticed the orange polyps not responding quite like my yellow polyps about a week or so ago. Now the orange seem to be thinning. My yellows are fuller than ever.

A recent change was my lighting schedule. I moved to a 10 hour schedule. I was battling brown diatoms so I took a strategy to promote their growth to starve them to death sooner. It worked like a champ. Other than that change, parameters have been very consistent throughout. These are located at the bottom of my tank. My AP700 is 15" above my tank-about 30ish" from the zoas.

Unread 10/24/2017, 07:49 AM   #4
Reef Junkie
Premium Member

Ok, so that rules out shipping damage. If they opened when you put them in the tank, then they were probably properly acclimated.

When did you have this diatom issue? Was it before or during the time you got these frags.

If you killed off the diatoms by light deprivation, it might have effected the zoas, but most likely that wasn’t the culprit.

The fact that you have diatoms means that you have silicates in your water. What do you use to replenish water and for water changes?

You might want to do some water changes with fresh RO/DI. That means if you haven’t done maintenance on your RO/DI, you need to.
Or if you don’t have one, you need to get one.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
B.B.

Unread 10/24/2017, 07:54 AM   #5
RussC
Registered Member

Yes, when I first received them they looked happy acted great. The diatom issue occurred during the time they were in the tank. I actually increased the light 2 hours instead of reducing the light in hopes of promoting the diatom growth to starve it out. It worked! The tank is only 2 months old, so silicates is my number one culprit with my rocks and substrate. Diatoms are pretty much gone. I've got some light hair algae, but nothing serious. All my top offs are done with RO/DI. And I do a 20 gallon water change every two weeks. Right now the load in my tank is so light I'm able to maintain very steady parameters with just a water change.

Unread 10/24/2017, 08:53 AM   #6
nathanemmerich
Registered Member

Are they in comparable flow? I had issues like this. One was getting too much flow. Another had a vermited snail that came with it but was starting to bother it now that it was stressed in a new tank. Watch at night for pests.

nathanemmerich is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/24/2017, 09:00 AM   #7
RussC
Registered Member

They are about 3-4 inches apart at the moment on the same rock so flow should be very similar. Don't know about pests. That's something I'll have to look out for.

Zoas are peaceful, right? Wouldn't be a possibility of one irritating the other? My plan was to cover this rock with zoas.

Unread 11/06/2017, 04:55 PM   #8
RussC
Registered Member

Guys, I'm back with more questions on the same zoas. How much flow is too much flow? I moved one set of zoas I thought weren't happy to see how things reacted. So far I think they are doing a little better. But the set that I thought was happy is refusing to open 100% and even when they open is not all the way. They were looking so good I actually attached them to the rock. I guess thats Murphy's law. Cause now they aren't responding well. Could that be flow? Should I look for a low flow area? Should I look for a shaded area that doesn't get direct light? What are recommended locations for zoas that have worked well for yours?

I have a pretty good flow in my tank. Might be tricky to locate a low flow area. But I think I can find some tight spots to wedge some polyps into.

Unread 11/11/2017, 07:10 AM   #9
rocsec1
Registered Member

One suggestion dip any coral before you put it in the tank to rd of any hitch hikers. I won’t put anything in without dipping. I will also use a saoft brush to clean the frag plug of anything that is on it.
Are they getting blow around a lot? I’ve had to move zoas because of flow.

rocsec1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/11/2017, 09:07 AM   #10
RussC
Registered Member

I really think flow is an issue. My tanks flow is great. Thing is, even at lower settings I think it’s atill too much.

Unread 11/11/2017, 10:18 AM   #11
Reef Junkie
Premium Member

Some zoas do not like too much flow, some like more. Too much all the time is definitely a problem.

Do you have a means to control the amount of flow they get through the day?

I use a controlled Vortech and a gyre on a timer. My flow ranges from intense to gentle throughout the day.

I have very good growth and polyp extension. Chemistry is also a huge part.

B.B.

Unread 11/11/2017, 03:54 PM   #12
RussC
Registered Member

I do control my flow rates. I have two wavy pumps. Love em. And a Reef Octopus Varios 6 return. And it’s only set at 3 out of 5. The Wavs don’t exceed 10%. So even with those low settings ha I still think it’s a bit much on the polyps. I’ve got them in indirect flow. How can I tell what zoas like life flow? I love zoas and definitely want more.

Unread 11/11/2017, 05:28 PM   #13
Reef Junkie
Premium Member

It’s tough to say. I’ve had all different types in different flows. They all love some flow. There’s no fast and hard answer on which zoas like what.

I will say this, many many zoas in nature live in the tidal coastline and in areas that receive good amounts of surge. Some are even out of the water at low tide.

How is the distressed frag doing?

B.B.

Unread 11/11/2017, 06:08 PM   #14
RussC
Registered Member

They aren’t looking bad, really. Just not getting 100% open 100% of the time.

Unread 11/11/2017, 09:31 PM   #15
Reef Junkie
Premium Member

Give it time and test all your parameters. Sometimes it’s the simplest mistake that can stress these corals out.

B.B.

Unread 12/02/2017, 08:26 AM   #16
nathanemmerich
Registered Member

Look really carefully for zoa pox. Then if your tank is too clean try giving them a little food and see if they respond.

Had the same issue with some doing week and others not in my tank. 180 with two small fish. The water was too clean and some started fading and developed zoa pox. I dipped the infected and started feeding reef roids and they are coming back.

nathanemmerich is offline   Reply With Quote