Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/06/2010, 07:01 PM   #1
eaglesrx
Registered Member

GFO & carbon in same reactor?

Trying to see how many of you run GFO and carbon in the same reactor. Also, which do you think is better, GFO and carbon in separate reactors or the same reactor?

Thanks

eaglesrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/06/2010, 07:11 PM   #2
alphaferret
Pitcher Hill Reef Society

some reactors have 2 seperate containers w/ one pump for both. is this what you are talking about?

Current Tank Info: 46 bow w/20 gal sump/30 gal. fuge/Reef Octo 150/Seio m620/koralia 3/mag5/Nova extreme t5/Powerbrite actinic LED
alphaferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/06/2010, 07:14 PM   #3
Phyxius
Moving About

I used to run both in one but eventually went with 2 reactors since the GFO and Carbon get changed out at different intervals. It kept me from throwing one or the other away when I only had to change the other. Running it in 2 reactors makes it a breeze to adjust more flow for carbon and less for the GFO and swapping them out easier.

I never drink water because of the disgusting things that fish do in it.
W. C. Fields

Current Tank Info: JUST SOLD AND TOOK DOWN ALL 11/10---210g AGA, 80g sump, Tunze Streams. Tunze ATO,RK Elite Controller, RKII,Dart, GEO Calcium& Nielsen Kalk Reactors,GEO media reactor, Kaleini Rock, 3-250 watt 14k EVC , VHO..... 34g Solana and 60g cube
Phyxius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/06/2010, 08:40 PM   #4
eaglesrx
Registered Member

Re: GFO & carbon in same reactor?

I have the two little fishies reactor. I might have to separate them b/c i can't seem to get even "bubbling" across the surface. I'll try to continue adjusting flow. Anyone else?

Thanks

Unread 04/06/2010, 08:51 PM   #5
TXCrawdad
Registered Member

Its best to run them in two separate reactors with a different pump on each one. They need to be changed at different intervals and they also need to tumble at different rates.

TXCrawdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/06/2010, 09:06 PM   #6
Avi
Premium Member

This is a very frequent subject around these here parts. The main reason why you wouldn't be best served by doing them both in one reactor is that the GFO should be somewhat suspended in the reactor for effectiveness, when the carbon wouldn't be and doesn't need to be. The difference in the weights of the two suggests that they shouldn't be mixed.

Current Tank Info: 120 gallon reef with 210 lbs. of live rock, Aqua-C EV180 Skimmer, Aquactinic double 250W MH with blue plus t5 support; 58 gallon freshwater planted tank using CO2 and T5s; 30-gallon cube with a few fancy goldfish; and a 110 gallon FOWLR
Avi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/07/2010, 04:57 AM   #7
eaglesrx
Registered Member

Re: GFO & carbon in same reactor?

This what i thought. I wanted to give it a try together, but it just doesn't work. Thanks everyone!

Unread 04/07/2010, 05:14 AM   #8
Navyblue
Low maintenance first

Seachem has a product which is a mixture of phosphate adsorber and carbon, it's called Seagel I think.

Navyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/07/2010, 01:32 PM   #9
Cooper Inc
Registered Member

BRS Dual Reactor has input for a pump and but has 2 canisters for GFO and Carbon. Are you guys saying there should be 2 pumps, 1 for GFO and 1 for Carbon? Or have they made this unit to adjust the flow internal without 2 pumps?

Thanks

Cooper Inc is offline   Reply With Quote