Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/01/2006, 01:52 PM   #51
joeychitwood
Schrödinger's Mod

Great photos. Thanks for making the effort to post them.

I think they have too many tangs in that tank, however!

joeychitwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/01/2006, 06:20 PM   #52
tokitay
Registered Member

WOW!!

tokitay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/01/2006, 06:57 PM   #53
chrismunn
Registered Member

THATS PRETTY FREAKIN' AWSOME! and i thought that the 1 million gallon tank at monterey bay was big. 6.2mill, WOW! its amazing!

Austin Reef Club

PBITAWA...

Current Tank Info: 14g bio cube
chrismunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/01/2006, 07:13 PM   #54
scarletknight06
Registered Member

thank you for the pics!

scarletknight06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/01/2006, 07:27 PM   #55
Hopestar075
Registered Member

Great pictures!!!! I am very lucky to live 30 mins away from the aquarium therefore I obtained a season pass. I am going to try to go as often as I can! By the way the gift shop prices are totally reasonable! I baught a long sleeve shirt for $18 and b/c I have a season pass I got 20% off! Yay!

Current Tank Info: 55 gal. fresh water cichlid tank/ 10 gal. hospital tank/ 65 gal. soon to be reef tank
Hopestar075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/01/2006, 08:34 PM   #56
ERICinFL
Rejisturd Mimbur

Enjoyed the pics. Next time I visit my family in GA, I'm taking an extra day or two to see the aquarium!

Sorry kids, your college fund is gone, but the tank looks SWEET right?

Current Tank Info: 150gal mixed reef. ER CS135, 65gal sump/fuge with a Mag12 return. (2) Korillia 4s, (1) modded MJ1200, two SunSun 3200gph powerheads. 250+lbs LR.
ERICinFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/01/2006, 08:47 PM   #57
Fishyfreak031592
Registered Member

Wow.........just looking at all those pics makes me really want to go there...my favorite pic you supplied was of the reef.....the whole place is stunning........oh how i wish i could go there.but im in IL and thats in georgia.....o well.................

Fishyfreak031592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/01/2006, 08:53 PM   #58
jwedehase
Registered Member

Thank you again, everyone. I took just over 350 photos that day, and I'm still going through them. As I find more interesting items, I'll be sure to post them. There are probably a couple left.

Current Tank Info: 120g Mixed Reef. 2x250w HQI 14K, 4x39w T5HO. AquaEuro 400
jwedehase is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/01/2006, 09:02 PM   #59
johnkov418
Registered Member

Wow !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Great Work, excellent thread.. I live near Chicago and I thought the Shedd Aquarium was awesone, thank you for sharing!! John

johnkov418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/01/2006, 10:39 PM   #60
PupChow
Registered Member

Simply amazing, thank you very, very much! I think I am planning a trip there with my girlfriend really soon!

I am very impressed by the pictures you took, how did you even manage to take those pictures under the low-light situation!? I tried my DSLR at Baltimore aquarium and failed quite miserably!

PupChow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/01/2006, 10:44 PM   #61
rizkeeper
Registered Member

more picssssssssssssssssssssssssssss........please

rizkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/02/2006, 12:20 PM   #62
charlesjordanjr
Registered Member

Awesome Pics!! Thank you so much! I can't wait to visit. I will have to check into the behind the senes tours. That would be great!
-Chuck

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon Oceanic RR
charlesjordanjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/02/2006, 12:30 PM   #63
guitar_lord
Registered Member

Amazing!
Thanks so much for sharing!
Im going to have to plan a trip there sometime soon!!!!
incredible

Current Tank Info: 65 gallon mixed reef
guitar_lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/02/2006, 12:47 PM   #64
jwedehase
Registered Member

Pupchow: I set the ISO pretty high (800), but I also have the image stabilization lens, which helps quite a bit.

Here are a few more that didn't make the initial cut.

The bowmouth guitarfish visiting the kids, up close and personal.

More of those beautiful rays.

Underwater viewing of the sea otters, and a mother teaching.

The Horseshoe Crab touch tank, and a docent sharing how to tell the difference between the males and females. Males have "boxing glove" arms up front, females do not.

Last edited by Skipper; 04/08/2006 at 03:55 PM.
Unread 01/02/2006, 12:53 PM   #65
jwedehase
Registered Member

The reef tank, I have to admit, isn't exactly photogenic at this point. It's still very young. However, sine you've asked, here's some of what I saw there.

The largest collection of coral in the tank was right in the middle. I saw the 2 foot colt coral, a couple of bleached crocea clams, some A. valida, millepora stag, frogspawn and hammer, candy corals, chalice, cat's paw, monti cap, and so on.

Last edited by Skipper; 04/09/2006 at 07:51 AM.
Unread 01/02/2006, 12:57 PM   #66
jwedehase
Registered Member

And it seems there was a lot of concern about the crowds. Yes, the place was packed. But again, a sincere "Thanks and good job" goes to the engineers and architects who put this thing together. Flow was awesome. Or, as I mentioned to another reefer, maybe it's because I'm from California, and don't consider this very crowded .

You've seen the pictures over the last few pages, so you can see that access to all these viewable areas was not a problem. Maybe I've just gotten comfortable enough with a camera that I've learned to bully my way up front, or maybe I just have enough patience, but I never had a problem, even in these crowds. The first shot is (left to right) seahorses, puffers, and otters. The second shot is the bi-level beluga whale viewing.

Last edited by Skipper; 04/09/2006 at 07:52 AM.
Unread 01/02/2006, 01:42 PM   #67
delor
Registered Member

Wow, I think I will be stoping in Altlanta on my next Florida trip....

Current Tank Info: Current: 90 gal RR reef tank, LED. Old:55gal RR, 440W VHO, 80# LR, LS, 20gal sump, SCWD. 5 gallon nano, 75 gal FOWLR
delor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/02/2006, 11:29 PM   #68
raddogz
Premium Member

What kind of lense or lenses did you use?

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
- Quentin Crisp

Current Tank Info: 180g Reef
raddogz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/03/2006, 12:33 AM   #69
jwedehase
Registered Member

Every shot was with a Canon 20D and the Canon 28-135mm IS. Many were shot full wide (28mm), and I wish I had a wider lens a lot of the time. When flash was used, it was the Canon 420EX with Sto-Fen diffuser.

Unread 01/03/2006, 03:09 AM   #70
ohioreef
Registered Member

Thank you very much for the stunning pics!! Think know where we're going for the next family vacation.

Unread 01/03/2006, 01:29 PM   #71
this is me
Registered Member

Very nice photo.
I think I'll be there during spring break.
But damn, I hate crowded places.

When a man talks dirty to a woman, it's sexual harassment. When a woman talks dirty to a man, it's $4.95 per minute.

Current Tank Info: Miracle 360 gallons
this is me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/03/2006, 01:55 PM   #72
alten78
Registered Member

great photos, thank you for the time it took to share.

Current Tank Info: 120g SPS dominated
alten78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/03/2006, 03:35 PM   #73
Cutiewitbooty
Registered Member

Wow thanks so much for all the pics!!1 I have dial-up and I waited for all the to finally load and it was so worth it!! I'm going to have to tank a trip up there, it's about 600 miles i think? It would be a fun road trip I think I might wait for the crounds to die down thoug, i hate crouds....

Unread 01/03/2006, 07:16 PM   #74
melev
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by jwedehase
Every shot was with a Canon 20D and the Canon 28-135mm IS. Many were shot full wide (28mm), and I wish I had a wider lens a lot of the time. When flash was used, it was the Canon 420EX with Sto-Fen diffuser.
Excellent images. This is what I've been waiting for. I knew some guys with good photography experience would post some stunning pictures sooner or later.

melev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/03/2006, 07:50 PM   #75
tayers25
Registered Member

Regarding a few of the questions posed earlier in the thread.

1) the waves are made for the reef tank by what has to be a 50 foot dump bucket apparatus. It fills and every other minute or so dumps over sending a surge over your head down the face of the reef. Calming music is also played in the background synchronized to the wave crashing. You can get behind the scenes upstairs (school groups are already doing this) and see it in action. It was designed by the former Director of the Waikiki Aquarium who is now the top person at the GA Aquarium (forget his name, sorry...but he's mentioned in Sprung's books.

2) the filtering system for the tanks cycles every bit of the water through the skimmers/filters every 90 minutes.

3) the whale sharks were actually trained in Taiwan (where they were captured) to approach a yellow ladle filled with plankton/etc. So, when its lowered into the water, they line up and they dump it out right in front of their mouths. They look like giant vacuum cleaners when they're eating.

4) an interesting tidbit on the reef. The green colored corals (plate) are actually "seeded" with some sort of gelatin-based vitamin enriched substance. You'll notice the tangs love it and are constantly picking at it.

5) the glass is cleaned daily by divers prior to the doors opening. I understand that local divers can sign up to "volunteer" to clean the glass on a rotating basis. There is always a safety diver in with them in case the sharks start getting aggressive...which they say shouldn't happen as they feed them at regular times.

6) the bottom feeders are fed by hand (again by divers)...otherwise all the other fish would eat everything and they would starve.

7) the vast majority of the reef fish were acquired from the Atlanta airport in a sting of illegally smuggled tropical fish last summer.

8) Bernie Marcus, co-founder of The Home Depot donated the $250 million to the GA Aquarium and it opened up on day one debt-free.

All I can say is plan to spend 4-5 hours...I think the planners thought people would be in/out in about 3 hours...not so. Also, check the website and make reservations before you come. Trying to get a ticket at the door may not be possible, especially on weekends.

Last note: after seeing this my wife came home and said our 180-gallon looks really small now. I'm planning on knocking out the main floor and putting my own surge reef tank that will encompass the entire basement as soon as I hit the GA Lottery. :-) Okay, but maybe I now can move up to the 500 I've had my eye on.

tayers25 is offline   Reply With Quote