Reef Central Online Community
Live Aquaria

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Genesis Reef Systems
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 04/01/2018, 09:09 AM   #1
gandolf8
Registered Member

renew

ok setup to do 50 gal water change it did 5 and stop the bin light started flashing any idea ? thx

gandolf8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/02/2018, 06:54 PM   #2
bnumair
Dr. Reef at ur service

what light was blinking?
and did you have the renew on continuous or day or week mode?

"Reef Fast, You Crash, Reef Slow, You Pass" Mike's Reef 3:16

Current Tank Info: 350g DT,95g sump, 50g Frag tank, 4800gph return 4x Sea swirls. 6x AI Vega Color. 200# Pukani rock, dual recirculating skimmer, Biopellet, GFO Carbon rx's, Cal rx. Closed loop. 1.5hp chiller, genesis renew. Apex & RKE
bnumair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/02/2018, 07:01 PM   #3
bnumair
Dr. Reef at ur service

on the replacement bin side there are 3 leds.
1. Bin level
2. High
3. Low

1. will blink if your reservoir of freshly made saltwater is near empty (at level where your sensor is)
2. will blink if high sensor inside the metering well doesnt release. usual slight to medium tapping on the well can free the float.
3. will blink when low sensor in the well does release. tapping on the well can free the float.
2 and 3 are usually caused by debris in the water making the float valve stick.

if you have the mode selected as day then renew will divide the 50 gal over 24 hrs and not doing all 50 gal at once.
only on continuous mode it will do all 50 gal at once.

Current Tank Info: 350g DT,95g sump, 50g Frag tank, 4800gph return 4x Sea swirls. 6x AI Vega Color. 200# Pukani rock, dual recirculating skimmer, Biopellet, GFO Carbon rx's, Cal rx. Closed loop. 1.5hp chiller, genesis renew. Apex & RKE
Old 04/03/2018, 08:26 AM   #4
gandolf8
Registered Member

was the bin set to continuous

Old 04/03/2018, 08:41 AM   #5
bnumair
Dr. Reef at ur service

Which light was blinking?

Old 04/03/2018, 02:24 PM   #6
gandolf8
Registered Member

ok took all connection apart hook back up
ran for 25 changes and the bin light flashing again
reset storm for 25 still working

Old 04/04/2018, 02:50 AM   #7
bnumair
Dr. Reef at ur service

you still havent answered which of the 3 lights blink?

Old 04/05/2018, 12:22 PM   #8
gandolf8
Registered Member

ok the fill light is blink and the Reservoirs high light

Old 04/05/2018, 04:36 PM   #9
bnumair
Dr. Reef at ur service

reservoir high will only blink when high side sensor inside the metering well doesnt trip or is stuck.
tap on the 2 black 1 gal containers (wells), hit it slightly for the float to come unstuck. if that fails open the well and manually check the floats on the high side make them go up and down and make sure they are not stuck and there is no debris in there.

second thing that can be wrong with is the pump that fills the wells can be clogged. check both Eheim pumps (1 in sump and 2nd in saltwater bin) and open their impellers and clean them and make sure there are nothing clogging the pipe and intake of the pump.
if the well fails to fill up 100% in 90 sec it will also make the reservoir high switch to blink.

Old 04/07/2018, 07:04 AM   #10
GenesisReefSys
RC Sponsor

Hi gandolf8,

How tight are your Metering Reservoirs mounted to the wall, and is the wall perfectly vertical, and are the Metering Reservoirs leaning in any direction?

If the Mounting Reservoirs are not mounted tight against the wall and the back surface is not perfectly vertical, or the top surface of the Metering Reservoir is not perfectly level, it is possible that the Metering Reservoir is filling all the way but the Level Sensor is not detecting that it is full.

There should be absolutely no play between the Metering Reservoir and the wall. In other words, no gaps that could allow any movement of the Metering Reservoir.

Particularly if the Metering Reservoir is not tight against the wall, the top of the Metering will tend to lean outward away from the wall. What this result in is the water level in the front of the Metering Reservoir (furthest from the wall) is "higher" than the water level in the back of the Metering Reservoir where the Level Sensor is, and the Level Sensor's float doesn't get lifted high enough to "trip" the sensor. The RENEW™ then believes that the Metering Reservoir has not filled in the allotted 90 seconds. (technical disclaimer: clearly the water level is perfectly horizontal - but from the Metering Reservoir's viewpoint, the water level is higher in the front than the back.)

By ensuring that Metering Reservoir is securely fastened to a vertical wall, and that the top surface of the Metering Reservoir is horizontal in all directions, the water level in the Metering Reservoir will be the same in the front as it is in the back, and the Level Sensor can properly monitor the water level.

Of course, bnumair is also correct in saying that the flow rate must be adjusted properly (thanks, bnumair!). If the flow rate is too low, either from a clog, a kinked hose, or by a valve restricting the flow too much, the water may not fill the Metering Reservoir, or it may fill it but not have enough flow rate to lift the float on the sensor that last tiny bit to "trip" the sensor. If the tubing is not clogged or kinked, the valves are all open, and the flow rate is still too low, try lowering the Metering Reservoir's mounting height if possible, or give a slightly larger pump a try.

Kevin

Old 04/27/2018, 06:29 PM   #11
thompsontwins
Registered Member

Renew

I just purchased a new unit and one of the sensors on the reservoir does not work. The sensor reads high regardless if I move the float sensor up or down. I have switched the plug on the control unit using the other reservoir and the problem reads high on the other side. I mean when I plug the sensor into sump it reads high when I plug the sensor into replacement water that one reads high. I have unplugged and replugged the wires in the bad sensor with no luck. I have moved the sensor up and down, reset the controller. No luck. Wow, a lot of work so far.
Can someone help me

bnumair

Last edited by thompsontwins; 04/27/2018 at 07:30 PM.
thompsontwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/27/2018, 11:59 PM   #12
bnumair
Dr. Reef at ur service

Hi
First off I just want to clarify that I do not work for Genesis Reef systems. I've been lucky enough to be the very few that bought the system in the beginning when they started selling this product. Because I've owned it for so long I know a lot about the system but not everything. So knowing that I'll try to help you.
Sounds like you have a sensor that is in the wrong place somewhere either plugged in in the wrong port or is in the wrong spot. Can you tell me what lights are blinking on what module and what is the system doing that you think it's not working properly.

Old 04/28/2018, 10:12 AM   #13
GenesisReefSys
RC Sponsor

Thompsontwins,

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing a problem. I'll do what I can to help get this resolved quickly.

There are a couple things I would look at.

First, make sure all the cables are VERY firmly plugged into the connectors on the back of the Control Module. They are admittedly somewhat difficult to "feel" click into place, and this is often the culprit - especially for the High Level Sensor.

Second, when checking the Level Sensors' function, please hold the floats up for at least 3 or 4 seconds, and then down for at least three or four seconds; they won't register and change the indicator immediately upon raising / lowering the floats.

Next, if the above steps don't seem to resolve the issue, then I would open up the back of the "offending" Metering Reservoir by removing the screws on the flat plate, and looking at the connections between the Level Sensors and the cable. The green and white wires should be firmly plugged into the top Level Sensor, and the black and yellow should be firmly plugged into the bottom Level Sensor. If this is where the problem lies, I'll be terribly embarrassed for our mistake!

When reassembling, be careful not to pinch the wires between the back plate and the screw bosses/posts or ribs.

Finally, if everything looks good, but the Level Sensor still doesn't register a change when tested for 3 or 4 seconds with the float in both positions, we'll have to do a deeper dive. I'd be very surprised though, because these Level Sensors are quite "bullet proof" and our failure rate is extremely low with them - I can literally count the number of Level Sensor failures on my fingers over the past 8+ years.

There's one more thing to take a look at if you're getting the "High" indicator during the FILL stage: make sure the Metering Reservoir is perfectly flush against the wall and that there is no "play" between the wall and Reservoir. If the top of the Metering Reservoir is not tight against the wall, the Reservoir will "lean" away from the wall at the top and as a result the water level at the back of the Metering Reservoir is effectively "lower" than it is in the front (not really, clearly, but relative to the Metering Reservoirs top surface). Since the Level Sensor is located at the back of the Metering Reservoir, if your flow rate isn't pretty strong the water level may not rise to raise the float up enough to register at the Control Module.

I hope this resolves the issue, but if not please don't hesitate to get in touch.

By the way, thank you, bnumair! You're a great asset to Reef Central!

Have a great day,
Kevin

Old 04/28/2018, 01:27 PM   #14
thompsontwins
Registered Member

Renew

I completed all these steps and the yellow and black wires are not connected to anything. The blue and white wires are connected to the sensor.
At start up the reservoir reads high with no water.

I move the sensor up and hold for 3 seconds and then let the sensor drop and stay at the bottom for 3 seconds and it still does not register A signal.
So turn off and on and the first light is a high reservoir. So the fill pump never starts.
I manually move the sensor to high and low wait for 3 seconds and nothing changes.
Man I really think it is a bad sensor

But you said to plug the yellow and black wires in but they are not plugged into anything?

Old 04/28/2018, 05:06 PM   #15
GenesisReefSys
RC Sponsor

thompsontwins,

Sorry - the black and yellow wires wouldn't be plugged into anything if you have a RENEW™ Basic.

It does indeed look like you have a faulty sensor, since you've checked the cables to ensure they're fully plugged in and the sensor doesn't register. I'm very sorry for that.

Please contact us through our webpage's contact form so we can arrange to have that Metering Reservoir repaired or replaced.

Thank you,
Kevin

Old 04/28/2018, 05:15 PM   #16
GenesisReefSys
RC Sponsor

I just realized that something you mentioned points toward a bad cable instead of a bad sensor...

The blue wire is plugged into the sensor? It should be plugged into the valve, and the terminals should prevent that from being possible. I'd say that the cable may have been manufactured incorrectly.

Now the question is how it could have made it through our testing of the Metering Reservoir (every one is thoroughly tested after assembly). I have a theory...

Anyway, we'll definitely take care of the issue as quickly as possible. Please contact us through the contact form on our webpage and we'll get you taken care of.

Kevin

Old 04/29/2018, 01:56 PM   #17
thompsontwins
Registered Member

Float sensor testing

All positions on the float sensor read OL. IT reads OL in the up position and in the down position.

The green and white wires were removed before testing and the wires were separated when tested by the ohm meter.
The blue wire was connected to the valve.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3049.jpg (58.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3050.jpg (46.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3051.jpg (42.0 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3053.jpg (39.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3054.jpg (38.7 KB, 5 views)
Old 04/30/2018, 06:07 AM   #18
GenesisReefSys
RC Sponsor

If it's reading "OL" in both the upper and lower positions, it's definitely a bad sensor. We will resolve this immediately.

Please contact us through our website and we'll get this taken care of (we don't know who you are based on your user id here on RC).

I'm sorry that you have encountered a defect in our product. There is nothing more frustrating than receiving a product that is supposed to make your life simpler, that starts off by making it more difficult. We will make this right for you, and will do it as quickly as possible.

Kevin

Old 04/30/2018, 08:09 AM   #19
thompsontwins
Registered Member

Renew

Thanks, Kevin
I have emailed 2 times, I am just waiting for them to reply. My name is Ryan Thompson, I just purchased this unit. I live in Clovis.
Can't wait to use my Genesis as I know it will make a positive change.
Sensors that are defective from the factory are understandable.