Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/31/2011, 10:12 PM   #1276
drhurtado
Registered Member

just got my a300 !!!

newby q?

why the neck in some skimmers is gray and mine is white?

drhurtado is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/19/2011, 10:32 PM   #1277
blakebark
Registered Member

Alpha 200

What is the dimension from base of the skimmer to the bottom of the collection cup drain of the 200? I was wondering this because my sump is 18" tall with a constant sump depth of 8-1/2".

blakebark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/20/2011, 09:22 AM   #1278
notclear
Registered Member

Approx. 16 1/4".

Unread 12/12/2011, 09:56 AM   #1279
Enjoy
That's what she said....

I have been using the AlphaCone 200 for over a year now - Love it. The past week it has been producing an extreme amount of micro bubbles, overflowed multiple times, and just hasn't been skimming very efficiently.

Yesterday - I pulled it all apart to clean, check for snails, or any other problems I might find. The pump looked fine, no issues I could visibly see. Once I started cleaning the skimmer body, I heard something rolling around in the bottom. Took it apart expecting a snail, and I found a Stainless Steel set-screw. It looks like it came from the skimmer somewhere, I just don't know where. The screw itself looks to be a 10-32 or smaller and only about .375 in length. Not very big.

Any ideas where it came from?

Current Tank Info: 48x30x20 Rimless
Enjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/12/2011, 11:23 AM   #1280
Klaus Jansen
RC Sponsor

Unknown Screw...

Hi Enjoy..

this screw has nothing to do with your Alpha-Skimmer. All metallic-Parts on the Alpha Line was made from Titanium. The stainless Steel Screw on your Picture is not comming from the Skimmer or Red Dragon Pump.

Maybe from the Avast-Pipecleaner ?

Hope it helps...

best regards.. Klaus Jansen

Klaus Jansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/12/2011, 11:24 AM   #1281
Enjoy
That's what she said....

Thanks for the quick reply!

I will look into the Avast neck cleaner as soon as I get home from work.
Thanks for the helpful info!

-Andrew

Current Tank Info: 48x30x20 Rimless
Enjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/16/2011, 09:49 PM   #1282
Mandosh
Registered Member

I was planning on buying an Alpha Cone 200, but I have found a deal on a 1-year old 170. My question is, for my tank size, which would be the right model?

150 gallon heavily stocked display, 40 gallon rock reservoir, and ~25 gallons of water in the sump.

Mandosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/30/2011, 07:42 AM   #1283
Alex T.
Registered Member

I have a 195 custom Starphire being built right now and wanted to tap the club's opinion to know if a Vertex Alpha 200 skimmer was a great skimmer for a SPS and medium fish load SPS dominated system, or should I jump to a 250.

Thanks in advance

Alex T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/30/2011, 08:47 AM   #1284
Jeremy B.
Registered Member

For the 195 I would suggest going with the Alpha 200. That will be more than plenty to handle that size system heavily loaded. The Alpha 250 would work, but you will get better performance with the 200 for your volume.

Jeremy B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2012, 11:00 PM   #1285
gofor100
Registered Member

Hello,

Hoping to get some help with a problem I'm having with my Alpha Cone 200.

I have an older version (does not have an adjustable pump intake) of the Alpha 200 (got it used a few years ago). I just cleaned the skimmer and pump in a vinegar bath (took the pump apart and put it back together EXACTLY as it was originally put together and have done this before with no problems) placed it in my new upgrade (187 gallon tank) and started it in my sump at 10 inches.

It overflowed and spit out microbubbles like crazy even though I was running it wide open. So then I raised it a couple of inches, still happened (although a little slower), then raised it even more (to about 6-7 inches) and it is STILL overflowing and spitting out microbubbles.

I'm at a loss and would really appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Chad

Current Tank Info: Tank Build in Progress
gofor100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2012, 11:49 PM   #1286
subman719
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofor100 View Post
Hello,

Hoping to get some help with a problem I'm having with my Alpha Cone 200.

I have an older version (does not have an adjustable pump intake) of the Alpha 200 (got it used a few years ago). I just cleaned the skimmer and pump in a vinegar bath (took the pump apart and put it back together EXACTLY as it was originally put together and have done this before with no problems) placed it in my new upgrade (187 gallon tank) and started it in my sump at 10 inches.

It overflowed and spit out microbubbles like crazy even though I was running it wide open. So then I raised it a couple of inches, still happened (although a little slower), then raised it even more (to about 6-7 inches) and it is STILL overflowing and spitting out microbubbles.

I'm at a loss and would really appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Chad
It sounds like you're getting too much water/not enough air... Try pulling out the pump intake tube(s) about 5mm and wiggle out/tap in slightly to adjust the bubbles. The skimmer should be at 8 inches of water and with the combination of fine tuning the pump intake tube (which changes how much air gets sucked in) and tuning the water wedge pipe, you should be able to dial it in perfectly! Note, this process may take a while! I've posted several videos on youtube years ago when I got my 170 when it FIRST came out. I had to make mods and adjustments but finally got it CRANKING out skimmate! Lastly, check to make sure all the "O" rings and other connections went together correctly which might be sucking in too much water. Hope this helps!

http://youtu.be/KTGQZTmc5xo

http://youtu.be/9UcnVnClrFM

http://youtu.be/2njxCF05U9I

"Fish are Friends, NOT Food!" - Finding Nemo

Current Tank Info: 90 Gal - Mixed Reef, 75 gal and 40 gal holding tanks. 20 gal mini reef and several fish only PICO tanks.

Last edited by subman719; 01/17/2012 at 12:04 AM.
subman719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2012, 10:27 AM   #1287
gofor100
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subman719 View Post
It sounds like you're getting too much water/not enough air... Try pulling out the pump intake tube(s) about 5mm and wiggle out/tap in slightly to adjust the bubbles. The skimmer should be at 8 inches of water and with the combination of fine tuning the pump intake tube (which changes how much air gets sucked in) and tuning the water wedge pipe, you should be able to dial it in perfectly! Note, this process may take a while! I've posted several videos on youtube years ago when I got my 170 when it FIRST came out. I had to make mods and adjustments but finally got it CRANKING out skimmate! Lastly, check to make sure all the "O" rings and other connections went together correctly which might be sucking in too much water. Hope this helps!

http://youtu.be/KTGQZTmc5xo

http://youtu.be/9UcnVnClrFM

http://youtu.be/2njxCF05U9I
Thanks for the help. I actually did try changing the pump intake (does making the intake longer reduce the amount of water/fix the problem)? Because I tried that and it may have helped slightly, but it is definitely still overflowing in only 6 inches of water. While I was playing with the intake, I noticed that if I restrict the flow into the pump (with my hand) the problem would stop, so I'm figuring the problem lies with the pump/intake.

I also am running the skimmer output wide open (since if I try to close it slightly, the skimmer turns into a volcano of bubbles instead of a slow overflow of bubbles).

The only thing I noticed (and might be the root of the problem) was that the o-ring (the one that when you take the face of the pump off is around the impeller housing) was looser than I remember, which made it more difficult to place the pump face/intake back on. I actually couldn't put the face on by hand... I had to tighten the screws to fully attach the face to the pump body.

The only other thing I can think might cause this is that I did use MarcoRocks mortar to attach some of my rocks (not that much though), but let it cure for more than enough time before placing it in the tank, much less started up the skimmer (the rocks have been in the tank for 1 week and were already attached with the mortar for 1 week before that).

I'll try to mess with the pump a little more tonight after looking at your videos, but any other suggestions would be great.

Thanks,

Chad

Unread 01/17/2012, 11:01 AM   #1288
subman719
Registered Member

Quote:
The only thing I noticed (and might be the root of the problem) was that the o-ring (the one that when you take the face of the pump off is around the impeller housing) was looser than I remember, which made it more difficult to place the pump face/intake back on. I actually couldn't put the face on by hand... I had to tighten the screws to fully attach the face to the pump body.
I believe that the O-ring is where your problem is! I most probably think you are sucking in too much water for the amount of air it's taking in! Pulling the tube out from the pump doesn't change the water flow per-say, it changes the internal "vaccuum" area inside the housing where the air is sucked in. Pulling it out slightly opens the vaccuum area a bit, exposing more of the air intake therefore, sucks in more air. If everything was running fine prior to taking it apart, my guess is that when you put it back together, the O-ring slipped out of place or is pinched and damaged and water is sucking in, bypassing the intake tube and not sucking in enough air. Remove the housing again and check the o-ring. If it's out of place or damaged in ANY WAY, you NEED to replace it with a new one. I would contact Jeremy at Premium Aquatics for any parts since I believe he is the U.S. contact/distributor and would have access to the parts.

Keep me posted!

Bob

Current Tank Info: 90 Gal - Mixed Reef, 75 gal and 40 gal holding tanks. 20 gal mini reef and several fish only PICO tanks.
Unread 01/17/2012, 11:45 AM   #1289
gofor100
Registered Member

Quote:
I believe that the O-ring is where your problem is! I most probably think you are sucking in too much water for the amount of air it's taking in! Pulling the tube out from the pump doesn't change the water flow per-say, it changes the internal "vaccuum" area inside the housing where the air is sucked in. Pulling it out slightly opens the vaccuum area a bit, exposing more of the air intake therefore, sucks in more air. If everything was running fine prior to taking it apart, my guess is that when you put it back together, the O-ring slipped out of place or is pinched and damaged and water is sucking in, bypassing the intake tube and not sucking in enough air. Remove the housing again and check the o-ring. If it's out of place or damaged in ANY WAY, you NEED to replace it with a new one. I would contact Jeremy at Premium Aquatics for any parts since I believe he is the U.S. contact/distributor and would have access to the parts.

Keep me posted!

Bob
I actually did check it again last night and although still tough to put the face/pump intake back on (if I remember correctly it used to be easier to just slide on) the o-ring was in the correct place and did not look damaged at all.

I'll try to reach out to Jeremy (is PM best?) to see what he says.

Thanks,

Chad

Unread 01/17/2012, 12:18 PM   #1290
subman719
Registered Member

Quote:
I'll try to reach out to Jeremy (is PM best?) to see what he says.
You can either PM him since he is a Sponsor here or just call there and ask for him. 317-895-9005

Just a side note... when I pulled out the inlet tube (the inner red one) to allow more air in, I DID trim it shorter a bit so that the smoothe rounded inlet remained "smoothe" to maintain proper water intake without turbulence and disruption. I used those hand held plier type PVC cutters so the cut was smoothe. If you don't have a pair, use a PVC saw and make sure to use a file or knife to clean off any burrs. These skimmers are VERY precision pieces of equipment so ANY variation will change performance.

Unread 01/17/2012, 12:41 PM   #1291
gofor100
Registered Member

Quote:
You can either PM him since he is a Sponsor here or just call there and ask for him. 317-895-9005

Just a side note... when I pulled out the inlet tube (the inner red one) to allow more air in, I DID trim it shorter a bit so that the smoothe rounded inlet remained "smoothe" to maintain proper water intake without turbulence and disruption. I used those hand held plier type PVC cutters so the cut was smoothe. If you don't have a pair, use a PVC saw and make sure to use a file or knife to clean off any burrs. These skimmers are VERY precision pieces of equipment so ANY variation will change performance.
Yeah... I'll probably give Jeremy a call before I do any permanent damage

Thanks for all of your help,

Chad

Unread 01/17/2012, 12:52 PM   #1292
gofor100
Registered Member

Quick update: just talked to Jeremy (very helpful) and based on my description (the volcanic eruption of super foam), it seems that it might be a number of things having to do with the water (something I've been dosing, i.e. MicroBacter7, or the mortar used for the rocks).

So, for now, I'll just run the skimmer as usual (but without the skimmer cup) and let it run its course. I'll give it the rest of the week and hopefully this will do the trick.

I'll let everyone know if anything else comes up.

Thanks again for your help,

Chad

Unread 01/17/2012, 01:23 PM   #1293
subman719
Registered Member

Glad I can help! My pleasure!

Unread 01/22/2012, 10:50 PM   #1294
fjr_wertheimber
Combat-tested Reefer

For a fairly heavily stocked 440 gallon SPS reef tank (with about another 150-200 gallons of total water volume in fuge, frag tank, etc.), do you think an Alpha 300 cone could handle the workload?

Unread 01/22/2012, 11:44 PM   #1295
subman719
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjr_wertheimber View Post
For a fairly heavily stocked 440 gallon SPS reef tank (with about another 150-200 gallons of total water volume in fuge, frag tank, etc.), do you think an Alpha 300 cone could handle the workload?
I personally think so! The Alpha 300 is rated up to 600 gallons and based on my experience, with using my Alpha 170 on a 90 gal + 45 gal sump + fuge + frag tank, I STILL couldn't give it enough work load to really make it work hard! It cranked out some gunk then waited for more!

In the past, I've purchased some skimmers based on the "BIGGER is BETTER" theory.... NOT TRUE!!! I soon found that the insanely large skimmers wouldn't push the foam over into the cup because they were just too darn big for the load. Based on this, I think that even in the remote possibility that the 300 is a tad too small, you'll at least crank out consistent skimmate.

I say give it a shot!

Unread 01/23/2012, 02:20 AM   #1296
Zoonutt
Registered Member

how dose the alpha cone 300 compare to the bk sm 250?

Current Tank Info: Great Lakes 245 Gallon 3 side starphire euro braced black silicone, 90 gallon sump, 45 low rimless frag tank, BK 300 Delux, 3 vortech mp 40, barracuda return, 3 250 w lumatek lumen max elite radium bulbs, 2 5' icecap vho, geo 624, reef keeper lite
Zoonutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/23/2012, 06:51 AM   #1297
subman719
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoonutt View Post
how dose the alpha cone 300 compare to the bk sm 250?
Based on my research between the two, both skimmers are made by Royal Exclusiv in Germany but the the Alpha line is a cost effective alternative made for Vertex Aquaristik but still has the same quality and performance as the Bubble King line. Because of it's cone shape, it helps condense the bubbles better as they rise and makes the skimmer more effecient. I CAN attest to the quality and performance of the Alpha 170 because I have tried MANY other skimmer brands and designs and the Royal Exclusive Alpha line is the most incredibly made and performing skimmer I've tried!

Unread 01/23/2012, 10:07 AM   #1298
gofor100
Registered Member

Quick Update: it took a couple of days (and I think me installing my Carbon Reactor may have helped), but my Alpha Cone 200 is finally back to normal. It definitely must have been something in the water.

Thanks again for everyone's help,

Chad

Unread 01/24/2012, 08:11 AM   #1299
Jeremy B.
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjr_wertheimber View Post
The Alpha 300 would be just fine for this system. If you didn't have such a large fuge / frag tank you could probably get by with the 250 even.

Jeremy B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2012, 01:49 PM   #1300
7 hills reefer
Registered Member

I have a 245 gallon display on the way, along with 150 gallon rubbermaid tub sump and 30 gallon refugium. I plan on adding a frag tank down the road no larger that 40 gallons. will be semi high bio load with many fish and coral mostly sps.

Would you recommend the alpha 200, 250 or 300?
Thanks in advance,
Brian

7 hills reefer is offline   Reply With Quote