Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/15/2019, 10:01 AM   #1
ekgthe1st
Registered Member

Want to make my first reef tank

New to saltwater and really want to make a live coral tank as my first one. I been looking through youtube and can't find a video or how to video to help me. Can I please have some advice.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

ekgthe1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2019, 12:44 PM   #2
MrNurse
Jedi Master

Do you already have a tank up and running?

Unread 01/15/2019, 12:53 PM   #3
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekgthe1st View Post
New to saltwater and really want to make a live coral tank as my first one. I been looking through youtube and can't find a video or how to video to help me. Can I please have some advice.

What specifically are you looking for?
Are you looking for beginners guide to learn EVERYTHING related to this hobby?

You might want to watch the Bulk Reef Supply 52 weeks of reefing series.. A couple days of watching that should have you well on your way to starting your own reef tank..

Unread 01/15/2019, 04:29 PM   #4
ekgthe1st
Registered Member

Thank you!

Unread 01/15/2019, 04:32 PM   #5
ekgthe1st
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNurse View Post
Do you already have a tank up and running?
No, I wanted to find out what would be the best tank, equipment, and supplies in my budget. I want my duckies in a row before I start, so it be easier to budget and and when I get this and that.

Unread 01/16/2019, 01:36 PM   #6
marzvt
Registered Member

I second the 52 weeks of reefing series. They are working on a new WWC BRS hybrid series that is even more up to date.

marzvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2019, 06:53 AM   #7
czwannabe
Registered Member

I third that series, other than binging big time here on the forums and or having someone hold your hand and type you a 10-page paper, that is your best bet. The best equipment for your budget is very vague. Everyone's budget is different and there are so many options.

What is the budget you would like to stay within? Also, what size space are you wanting to put the tank in?

czwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2019, 04:11 PM   #8
tufkab
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekgthe1st View Post
No, I wanted to find out what would be the best tank, equipment, and supplies in my budget. I want my duckies in a row before I start, so it be easier to budget and and when I get this and that.

The one piece of advice I can give you is this: Spend the money upfront. Good equipment is expensive, cheap equipment is MORE expensive.

I, along with many others, have learned the hard way that trying to save money by buying cheap off brands rarely works out in your favour. Either it breaks down or never works properly to begin with and then you have to go out and buy the more expensive, reputable brand anyway. Spend the money and buy it once.

And you have a LOT of equipment to buy. Tank, stand, sump, return pump, circulation pumps, lighting, heating, controller, Auto top off, plumbing, filtration/skimmer, RO/DI filter, refractometer, test kits, salt, sand, rock.......And that's just what comes to mind off the top of my head.

If I had to put out a ballpark number for a complete setup, starting from scratch for a system capable of keeping coral - let's say for something in the 50-90 gallon range, I'd say $3000-$4000 minimum. And that's just to get you to the point where you're ready to start cycling the tank.

Oh, and one more thing....PATIENCE. Things take time, lots of time. And you need lots of patience. If you knew exactly what you needed and started buying everything today, it would still be a good two months before you'd be ready to even consider putting a fish in the tank.

tufkab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/23/2019, 02:39 AM   #9
tthnow
Registered Member

My best investment was an apex controller, followed by 5 gallon kalkwasser controlled via Toms Aqua Lifter. Have you checked the price of the tank you want compared to building one? get a price quote for the measurement and size.

Believe it or not, you are not saving a whole lot and can get it professionally built with out chancing a screw up. I purchased a 24x24x12 for about $230 i think? I did a price quote for the measurements and it ended being cheaper, but it was also on sale. I only saved $80 I think. This was during the Christmas season.

tthnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2019, 09:05 AM   #10
ReefsandGeeks
Registered Member

If trying to stay on a budget, you can try looking through local used adds like craigslist or the facebook market place or whatever for used setups. Often include most or all of what you need and at a fraction of the price. can be a little intimidating at first as you're not likely real familiar with the equipment, but worth researching in advance so you have a vauge idea of what you'd like. I recently bought a 150gallon tank with sump, return pump, dry rock, and a few other supplies for $400. Added up price if I were to buy what I got new would be around $2,500. same thing for smaller tanks as well. I just sold a complete 65 gallon setup for $180 after having it listed for 3 months. prices for used aquarium set ups are usually a huge discount from new. Only tank I ever bough new was my first ever saltwater tank, and was a 37 gallon tank. I spent more on that than I did on my current 150 gallon. Personally i'd never buy a new set up unless I wanted something custom or had a specific idea of exactly how I wanted things set up. I have always been on a budget with my aquarium but can still get a lot with some looking around.

Regardless of how you chose to buy, either used or new it's good to have an idea of what you'd like to do with your tank first. Do you want coral? FOWLR? Just fish? Any odd fish or critters that have some special requirements? Once you know what you think you want to do with it, you'll be able to get an idea of what sort of tank and equipment you'd need for it and plan a buget accordingly. For instance, if you know you want to eventually get a mandrin, than you'd benefit from having a refugium to cultivate the pods they feed on and can plan to have that or add one to your system. If you want to have a puffer fish, than you can get a tank that is large enough for them. If you want tangs, a longer tank in the 6' range is a good starting place. Just some examples, but if you pick a setup before knowing what you want to do with it, than you limit yourself to the tank and setup you chose. You can also check out the DIY section for money saving ideas on certain equipment, or if you simply like the feeling of having done it yourself.

Lots to learn about the hobby, how to set things up, and tons of personality to learn about the critters you decide to keep. That's half of the fun though! Take your time and enjoy! This is for sure an addicting hobby

ReefsandGeeks is offline   Reply With Quote