Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/21/2019, 09:04 AM   #1
five.five-six
Registered Member

Slow down Vectra pump with Apex and float switch?

I’m building a new system and one of the features is a refugium. The refugium is feed by a valve split of the overflow. The refugium feeds the sump.

The pipe feeding from the refugium to the sump is 1-1/2” PBC with a conical strainer. I am conserned about the strainer becoming clogged causing the refugium to overflow. I have installed a float switch in the refugium to trip an alarm in the APEX if the water comes within 3/4” of overflowing. It can also power down the return pump however I would prefer to have it just reduce the pump’s output power. Is there any way to do that?

"I hate that hole"

Current Tank Info: SCMAS Member 225 peninsula euroreef RS180 Apex 400W X 3 20k radiums / Spectra mixed SPS
five.five-six is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2019, 05:42 PM   #2
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by five.five-six View Post
I’m building a new system and one of the features is a refugium. The refugium is feed by a valve split of the overflow. The refugium feeds the sump.

The pipe feeding from the refugium to the sump is 1-1/2” PBC with a conical strainer. I am conserned about the strainer becoming clogged causing the refugium to overflow. I have installed a float switch in the refugium to trip an alarm in the APEX if the water comes within 3/4” of overflowing. It can also power down the return pump however I would prefer to have it just reduce the pump’s output power. Is there any way to do that?
Not with the Vectra since it’s not controllable by any 3rd party controller. Your only option would be to get a Neptune Cor pump or a variable speed/DC type pump that has 0-10v control capabilities.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2019, 11:51 PM   #3
tkeracer619
Registered Member

I strongly suggest plumbing an additional emergency drain.

tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/23/2019, 07:00 AM   #4
five.five-six
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeracer619 View Post
I strongly suggest plumbing an additional emergency drain.
I have an emergency drain.

I was originaly going to set it to just set off an alarm/Text/email verifications.

I’ll program it to turn off the return if there is a high level in the refugium in conjunction with a leak detected

The bottom of the stand is a polyurethane pan and will hold over 10 gallons of water for just this sort of purpose.

Oddly, with the flow level through the refugium, I can’t get it to overflow no matter how tightly I wrap the drain grate with a terrycloth towel.

This is just an abundance of caution.

"I hate that hole"

Current Tank Info: SCMAS Member 225 peninsula euroreef RS180 Apex 400W X 3 20k radiums / Spectra mixed SPS
five.five-six is offline   Reply With Quote