Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/21/2019, 02:13 PM   #1
reefslugs
Registered Member

Coral colors fading.

I think I’m frying my corals. All of them but two have lost their color. The tank is a Deep Blue 65 gallon 36x18x24. I’m running an ATI six bulb fixture with a Sbar actinic LED strip. The bulbs are three B+, two C+, and one purple+. The fixture is eight inches off the water. I’m running two B+ for ten hours. The two C+, one B+, and one purple+ are on for eight hours. The LED’s come on one hour before and after the ATI. Do you guys think this it to much light or on to long or to close to the water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: Oceanic 200g mixed reef, 65g sump/fugium, 4 Viporspectra LED's, Tunze 2105 x 2 with controller, Simplicity return pump & skimmer, Octopus calcium reactor, lots of love.
reefslugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2019, 02:20 PM   #2
jeremevans
Registered Member

I kind of doubt it. Have you tested Phosphates and nitrates lately? You might be slowly starving them if the nutrients are at zero.

jeremevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2019, 02:29 PM   #3
reefslugs
Registered Member

Current Tank Info: Oceanic 200g mixed reef, 65g sump/fugium, 4 Viporspectra LED's, Tunze 2105 x 2 with controller, Simplicity return pump & skimmer, Octopus calcium reactor, lots of love.
Unread 01/21/2019, 04:47 PM   #4
Pslreefer
In Memoriam

Check your nitrates

Pslreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2019, 05:47 PM   #5
reefmutt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremevans View Post
I kind of doubt it. Have you tested Phosphates and nitrates lately? You might be slowly starving them if the nutrients are at zero.

Yes.. I second this.

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2019, 11:46 PM   #6
reefslugs
Registered Member

fade

As fare as nitrate, The only test kit i have for testing nitrate is the cheap API test. It shows no nitrates.

Unread 01/23/2019, 05:37 AM   #7
reefmutt
Registered Member

I think that if you really want to succeed with sps, you’ll need a decent No3 and po4 test kit. But if your currentkit is showing zero, sounds like a low nutrient issue..

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2019, 11:43 PM   #8
DesertReefT4r
Registered Member

Feed more, do some spot feeding to the corals. I have low undetectable no3 using API and Red Sea kits, po4 is around .08 ppm. I feed my 8 fish well and spot feed my corals 1-2 times a week, especially the lps. Amino suppliments are beneficial as well.

Tank history 29g tropical ,55g cichlid tank, 20H softy reef, 29g mixed reef, 20H brackish goby & puffer tank, 55g mixed reef, 6g Nanocube softy lps reef, 40B sps reef, 75g sps reef, 75g sps reef in bu

Current Tank Info: 75g sps reef build in the works.
DesertReefT4r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/30/2019, 12:08 PM   #9
Pife
Registered Member

How's the new pieces looking from last week?

I'm not saying let's get rid of all the stupid people.* I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem work itself out.

Current Tank Info: 150g DT plumbed to an 80g frag tank and 220g sump in the basement. ~6-MP40s ~ 12 ATI powered t5s ~ Reefbrites and Radions supplementing ~ Custom GEO Skimmer ~ GEO CA Reactor 6x24~ Iwaki 70 Return ~
Pife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/30/2019, 07:52 PM   #10
reefslugs
Registered Member

corals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pife View Post
How's the new pieces looking from last week?
All looking good but the WWC moonshine.

Unread 02/01/2019, 06:11 AM   #11
pancakesbme
Registered Member

I agree with others, I doubt the light is hurting. An the nutrients sound as if they are not high enough to have an adverse effect. I cannot imagine feeding would have such a quick effect, yes overtime little feeding or incorrect feeding could effect colors but not so quick. I would be curious as to salinity, and alkalinity. Also are u using any carbon to remove any possible contaminants. Just my two cents. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-J727R4 using Tapatalk

pancakesbme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2019, 05:39 PM   #12
reefslugs
Registered Member

fade

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancakesbme View Post
I agree with others, I doubt the light is hurting. An the nutrients sound as if they are not high enough to have an adverse effect. I cannot imagine feeding would have such a quick effect, yes overtime little feeding or incorrect feeding could effect colors but not so quick. I would be curious as to salinity, and alkalinity. Also are u using any carbon to remove any possible contaminants. Just my two cents. Good luck.

I've been running my KH at 9. A friend says I need to let it lower to 7. The salinity stays at 1.026. I have run carbon on it a couple of weeks ago, but I took it off thinking I might be stripping out to much. Plus making the water so clear that the lighting burning them.

Unread 02/01/2019, 05:44 PM   #13
pancakesbme
Registered Member

Well shoot, the last to idears I got are reaching lol. but If it were me I would be running em all down , so, guess I would check TDS meter for anything unusual for instance are u on well water where odd fertilizers could be interacting. And also another would be stray voltage from a failing heater or circulator, which I've had happen, but usually there are other signs of strain with that one.

pancakesbme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2019, 05:47 PM   #14
reefslugs
Registered Member

fade

I've been feeding the fish a little more. I also started adding Amino supplements. I also bought a couple of more corals from a friend. They have only been in there of a week, but I have not started to see any color changes. I also wonder the fading be because the coral I bought previously came from a tank with LED's tank.

Unread 02/02/2019, 12:52 AM   #15
danreefman
Registered Member

Coral wants food. Get some reefroids or rottifers and spot feed. Not to much. I wouldn't buy anymore corals till you figure out what's going on. Keep perimeters stable and don't try to much at once. Sps takes patience. How old is your tank?

danreefman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2019, 12:53 AM   #16
danreefman
Registered Member

Higher alk likes higher nutrients.

Unread 02/02/2019, 05:25 PM   #17
reefslugs
Registered Member

fade

Quote:
Originally Posted by danreefman View Post
Coral wants food. Get some reefroids or rottifers and spot feed. Not to much. I wouldn't buy anymore corals till you figure out what's going on. Keep perimeters stable and don't try to much at once. Sps takes patience. How old is your tank?
Four months old and all equipment is also new.

Unread 02/02/2019, 05:29 PM   #18
reefslugs
Registered Member

fade

Quote:
Originally Posted by danreefman View Post
Higher alk likes higher nutrients.
My freind says 6.7 is the sweet spot. Is that right?

Unread 02/02/2019, 06:29 PM   #19
danreefman
Registered Member

I wouldn't go below 7. Also your tank is very new for sps. You have a few more swings to go through. I'd wait. Take it slow.

Unread 02/02/2019, 09:31 PM   #20
Pife
Registered Member

Sps can't take in the foods that were mentioned. I would think that you could add pods to help the population rise faster. Get another fish in there though.

I'm not saying let's get rid of all the stupid people.* I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem work itself out.

Current Tank Info: 150g DT plumbed to an 80g frag tank and 220g sump in the basement. ~6-MP40s ~ 12 ATI powered t5s ~ Reefbrites and Radions supplementing ~ Custom GEO Skimmer ~ GEO CA Reactor 6x24~ Iwaki 70 Return ~
Pife is offline   Reply With Quote