Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Cephalopods
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/04/2013, 11:02 AM   #1
gobywonkenobi
Registered Member

keeping an octopus

I am interested in keeping an octopus for the first time. What are the requirements for keeping an octopus? Tank size, substrate, water parameters... That sort of thing. I would like a beginners guide to octopus keeping

5.5gal nano w/ modded ac50fuge
gobywonkenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/05/2013, 05:50 PM   #2
troutking
Registered Member

http://www.tonmo.com/cephcare/keepin...epingcephs.php

troutking is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/08/2013, 06:36 AM   #3
wnppmy
Registered Member

I've kept a Dwarf since end of August, life span is short around a year and usuall unknown age on purchase adds to the delema. Are very nocturnal, I use lower blue lighting tho also some fish. So far his staple diet is hermits least 5 a week fed 2 then 3. Caught a rare view of him this morning blended in on the rock, but lights on scurys away. Use a red light to view in evenings. Loads of fun.

At purchase

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUA2B...e_gdata_player

wnppmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/08/2013, 06:37 AM   #4
wnppmy
Registered Member

Need minimum of 20 gallon tho 30 and above suggested. Needs rock to hide in, weight the lid as great escape artists?

Rare view but stayed in the light as obviously snagged a hermit!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cxDn...e_gdata_player

Last edited by wnppmy; 01/08/2013 at 06:43 AM.
Unread 01/08/2013, 07:46 PM   #5
gobywonkenobi
Registered Member

Thanks for the info guys. I don't think I'm gonna get one at this time. My wife doesn't want to spend the money on something that's only going to last a few months

Posted from ReefCentral.com App for Android

5.5gal nano w/ modded ac50fuge
gobywonkenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/11/2013, 09:38 AM   #6
wnppmy
Registered Member

Actually enjoying mine, viewed this morning with red light. Waiting for the Friday supply of hermits.

The $32 paid for him thought was rather reasonable. Only downside to me is are nocturnal so unlikely to see him daytime. Does a good job on sifting the sand bed, easy to trace his evening ventures.

Expense is the continual supply of hermits. My Dwarf is doing far better than I expected todate. I did switch to a lower level blue light so far doing fine, no algae issues last several months. The low illumination perhaps agreeable to the Dwarf, Fish are ok and just enough for mushroom and even a pipe organ soft coral.

Unread 01/25/2013, 01:57 PM   #7
SantaMonica
Registered Member

They won't outgrow a 20g ?

Unread 01/26/2013, 07:48 AM   #8
gpx1200
Registered Member

only the smallest nocturnal dwarfs are ok in a 20-30g tank but other aquairum suitable species like aculeatus,biraieus and vulgarus require a 65-125g tank, 125 minimum for vulgarus.
i put a very small (3inch full armspan) babby aculeatus in a 45g hex tank and within 2 months he had totaly outgrown the tank and was constantly looking for an eacape after moving him to a 72 he settled down and was content in his new home. becides the space requierments octos produce alot of waste and put a bigger bioload on a tank that other animals so they require more water volume and filter capacity than fish or corals. most experienced keepers recomend a protien skimmer rated for 2-3x the volume of the tank to handle the extra waste and the posability of a large inking.

gpx1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/31/2013, 06:48 AM   #9
wnppmy
Registered Member

Just for info have the smaller Dwarf Octopus, mines in an undersized 14G Bio. Tho glimpses in early morning prior to daybreak fun to catch him eating his favored meal, hermits. Mine purchased last year in August. Life span can be short but wouldn't trade the experience with this one. Arrived unannounced at local pet shop, unable to resist.

Don't suggest this small of tank, but an established tank at least 6 months before introducing one likely a priority. Be sure is rock for hiding, essential for this nocturnal guy.

Skimmers are suggested, my established system handles the bio load todate, but do weekly water change, not over 10 percent, unless needed abit more monthly, I monitor the soft coral etc.

Unread 01/31/2013, 07:16 AM   #10
cubiclewarrior
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobywonkenobi View Post
Thanks for the info guys. I don't think I'm gonna get one at this time. My wife doesn't want to spend the money on something that's only going to last a few months

Posted from ReefCentral.com App for Android
I bet she buys stuff that only lasts a few months lol

Current Tank Info: 90 Gallon mixed reef and a 30 gallon waterfall reef setup
cubiclewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/31/2013, 11:13 AM   #11
snowcarver75
Registered Member

I occassionally seeing live baby octopuses at the local seafood supermarkets. I would guess close to death, but are these dwarf ones? Wondering whether to try one in sump...

snowcarver75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2013, 08:09 AM   #12
Black Thumb
Moved On

I want one too. Which one should I get? I have an 8g nano and a 273.6g.

Black Thumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/07/2017, 08:47 PM   #13
Ooeygooeygold
Registered Member

What's the longest someone has kept one for?

Ooeygooeygold is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/09/2017, 03:08 PM   #14
Rilelen
Registered Member

Octopuses are short-lived; don't expect to keep one for more than a few months to a year, depending on how old yours is when you acquire it. I have an A. aculeatus in one of my office tanks (not listed in my sig), and I spent almost a year prepping the tank for his arrival, with the understanding that I'd likely only have a few months with him.

The best current all-in-one info source on keeping cephalopods is "Cephalopods: Octopuses and Cuttlefish for the Home Aquarium", and tonmo.com's forums are the place to ask questions.

Office Nano Tank System (29 Gallon + 20 Gallon): Saltwater mollies + fry
Rilelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/20/2017, 07:43 PM   #15
goodman770
Registered Member

About 10 years ago I got a bimac and within a few day it laid eggs. Stopped eating and died a few weeks later. Second one was the most amazing pet I've ever had. I had him for 8 months.
I remember getting some bait fish on a weekend trip and bringing them back for him. The small fish were very fast and he couldn't catch them in the open tank, but I would watch him think. Amazing. I saw him swim up when the fish was almost over top of him, and in its blind spot. He got it with the last two suckers on his tentacle and slowly caught them all.

Current Tank Info: 60 Rimless Reef
goodman770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2018, 08:44 PM   #16
MrBiggs
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rilelen View Post
Octopuses are short-lived; don't expect to keep one for more than a few months to a year, depending on how old yours is when you acquire it. I have an A. aculeatus in one of my office tanks (not listed in my sig), and I spent almost a year prepping the tank for his arrival, with the understanding that I'd likely only have a few months with him.
Wow, I never knew that they were so short lived!

MrBiggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/25/2018, 01:57 AM   #17
m0nkie
Registered Member

I've caught some while fishing and kept them in tank. They lived from 6-18 months. But they were good sized when I caught them. when they lay eggs, it's goodbye time. the smaller eggs are impossible to hatch. the big ones are possible if they have been fertilized.

they prefer crabs and shrimps. I go Asian supermarket and buy live crabs for them to eat. If not, frozen shrimps will do.

their grip is really strong and they do bite! but most times they will just escape. Once one of them shot out ink. The ink will not damage the octopus, but you should run carbon asap. had a 14" octopus grab my arm and I couldn't free my arm.

octopus are really smart. you need to get toys for them to figure out. usually balls with different sized holes or even locking device. Put some food inside and keep them busy. They will try to escape out of tiny slits. One went halfway into my output nozzle.

I currently have a baby, about 2-3 inches big.

they are not very active. specially during daytime. Most times you will be staring at an empty tank, looking for the Octo.
can you spot him? lol

Last edited by m0nkie; 04/25/2018 at 02:02 AM.
m0nkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/07/2018, 07:51 PM   #18
oceanscurve
Registered Member

I've kept two that were sourced out of the Florida Keys. Both lasted over a year. It depends on what time of the year you purchase them as most are seasonal breeders but there is also a factor of luck involved.

oceanscurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/31/2018, 10:37 AM   #19
Wunderpus
Registered Member

I've successfully kept (over 1 year for all, some longer) Wunderpus, Bimacs, Blue Rings and Mimics over the years... Minus the obvious risk with the blue rings, I found them to be VERY easy to keep. Wunderpus were easy, as well. The mimics were the most personable out of the bunch, also seemed to be the most intelligent and would interact with you. I'd be glad to discuss what worked well with any of these species if you folks are interested.

Wunderpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/21/2018, 08:01 AM   #20
Seasidenj
Registered Member

I used to keep a octopus they are very sneaky.

Seasidenj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2019, 11:24 PM   #21
Grasshopper23
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wunderpus View Post
I've successfully kept (over 1 year for all, some longer) Wunderpus, Bimacs, Blue Rings and Mimics over the years... Minus the obvious risk with the blue rings, I found them to be VERY easy to keep. Wunderpus were easy, as well. The mimics were the most personable out of the bunch, also seemed to be the most intelligent and would interact with you. I'd be glad to discuss what worked well with any of these species if you folks are interested.
Hello - I would love some advice. Hopefully this link works for my recent experience.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2692153

Biggest issue I am having is where to get a good octopus? There are Wonderpus and Mimics available now but I thought they were not as interactive. I am looking for a Bimac but can't find one.

Current Tank Info: 75G mixed reef / 29G sump / 6x 54W T5 / SWC 160 Cone
Grasshopper23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2019, 07:10 PM   #22
Animal Mother
Registered Member

It's always a crapshoot.

You may receive any variety of octopus and even within the same subspecies, individuals have a range of dispositions from shy to bold.

Try to get in touch with the business before you order it and ask questions. Where did it come from? How big is it? Do you see these kind often?

Some divers know what they are looking at.

Salty bottom reef company has O. vulgaris, O. briareus, and O. mercatoris listed. They don't have O. vulgaris in-stock currently though, I tried. O. mercatoris are a pygmy species and only active late at night so I wouldn't get one of those if you want interaction. O. briareus are typically nocturnal but will adapt to your activity once they learn you give them food. And they get fairly large, 24" arms potentially.

Saltwaterfish.com has Indonesian/Pacific species. These are most often Abdopus species. The ones I've kept were gravid females who hid, laid eggs, and died soon after purchase. They are typically very active once acclimated though.

I've also received Abdopus from Liveaquaria.

I just ordered the 2xPacificOctopus from Yourfishstore.com and I figure it's a roll of the dice. I asked in an email a while back why they sell 2 together and they say they keep them all in a tank together and it works out okay. *shrug* O. mercatoris can be kept in a community so who knows. General rule is solitary. I've kept an abdopus with fish peacefully, so maybe.

needs is someone to throw hand grenades at him for
the rest of his life." - Full Metal Jacket

Current Tank Info: 60 gallon cube, w/ 30 gallon sump, octopus-proof lid. Dry for now.
Animal Mother is offline   Reply With Quote