Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Military Reefers Group
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/08/2018, 06:24 PM   #1
Donkin
Registered Member

Active Duty reefers?

So, i used to love my reef tanks. Ive owned a 50, 80, 125, 225 and a 20gal micro before joining up. I had a 15 year old maroon clown since she was tiny, loved her more than my dogs lol. Power went, backup didnt kick on and was out of town. Lost everything including my clown...well joined the USAF and have been to the sandbox a couple times, pribably going once more.

Really want to start a nano, but since we move every couple years feel bad doing so just to break it down and hope i get the critters safley to wherever im going. Is anyone here active duty and building reefs? Ill probably be out next year, finishing up my MS is cybersecurity and will move again for a new job most likely, but then i will have some stability. Should i wait or build a small tank for a nem and a couple clowns to scratch my itch?

Unread 06/08/2018, 07:25 PM   #2
SalinFL
Registered Member

For the amount of hours you find yourself planning/working on/fixing/looking at the tank, it's worth another setup. I refrained for over 12 yrs, missed it immensely.

Live in moment, no one knows what tomorrow brings.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

SalinFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/09/2018, 07:42 AM   #3
nitrogenbubbles
Registered Member

I have been moving for 20 years, I can't think of one pcs that I didn't build a tank. I have had special crates built for my 75G and my hand made stand and canopy, packed it up in my household goods....all live stock usually got PIF or sent to the LFS. Tell you though, Japan was probably by far the most costly reefing as everything from the states cost almost as much in shipping as the product did.

nitrogenbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/19/2018, 06:39 AM   #4
carrots
Registered Member

Go for it-just keep it simple. A small tank with a HOB filter and get some baby tank raised clowns. Maybe a few hermits and enjoy.

Thank you for your service.

carrots is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/19/2018, 11:48 AM   #5
Drahk
Registered Member

I recently retired from the AF and I held off my whole career from doing. My main reason was I didn't know enough about the hobby to justify spending that amount of money and possibly losing the fish and corals when I moved. Since you have experience and you know what you would be getting into, I say go for it.

Drahk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/18/2019, 01:42 PM   #6
danromero87
Registered Member

Go for it! I have been in the hobby for 5 years and completed one PCS in that time. Just plan accordingly with selling your live stock before you depart.

danromero87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2019, 11:33 PM   #7
horseystripe
Registered Member

I just sell everything when I move...rock, fish, coral...take the dry goods with me and call it a day..then the “fun” start over begins lol

horseystripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2019, 09:44 PM   #8
Sisterlimonpot
R.C. Fraternity President

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drahk View Post
I recently retired from the AF and I held off my whole career from doing. My main reason was I didn't know enough about the hobby to justify spending that amount of money and possibly losing the fish and corals when I moved. Since you have experience and you know what you would be getting into, I say go for it.
In a way, moving and starting over every few years makes each new tank even better because you learned from your last experience.

Having an excuse to start over is probably a great idea.

Dishes are done man!

Current Tank Info: 300 in progress
Sisterlimonpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2019, 08:59 PM   #9
Mrtakeoff53
Registered Member

I just PCS’d and am in the process of setting up my 50 gallon cube again. It’s really nice to be able to start fresh and experiment with different take set-ups and different livestock. Most people don’t get that opportunity while for us it’s a way of life. I say go for it!