Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/26/2018, 11:59 AM   #1176
soulpatch
Registered Member

Trying to think through a few things and right now trying to figure out plumbing... Torn on hard/soft plumbing. Likely do a mix with the runs from the frag tank as hard so I can have union and valves and then soft into 150 stand... Its all 1/2" so lower flow all things considered. ALso need to see if I can get enough flow from my manifold off of my SP6 or if I have to find some area to house another pump in my sump. One of those things I wont know till things are setup for test runs.

For flow in tank thinking of a gyre 230 (or likely a 330 if out in time) but concerned a bit about the amount of flow in a 24x22x8 tank. Might just do some smaller Jabeos to start and see where that leads me.

I built my 80/20 stand last night but need to add the light bar and figure out its position before I send some pics. Not keen on putting it in front of my electronics cabinet but at the moment it is the only spot for it. Of ALL the things for my fish room and items I did not expect to be looking to spend money on is a love seat today. I am going out to see about getting rid of my sectional couch in the basement to have just a love seat and in doing so I could move a dog crate to other side of room (if not both) and rearrange the room some affording me plenty of room to have the frag tank on other side and have space to store my frag show gear.

Might even move the mini fridge to that side of the room so that the fish food and beers are closer!!!

Some have bar tabs. I have a coral tab at my LFS. Life goals.
soulpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/27/2018, 12:40 PM   #1177
soulpatch
Registered Member

Stand for frag tank is built...need some eye hooks or such to hang lighting from and 3/4 ply for top that tank will rest on but otherwise finished.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Unread 12/27/2018, 07:03 PM   #1178
soulpatch
Registered Member

Got this baby in today. Excited to get this cranking shortly...

Unread 12/27/2018, 08:56 PM   #1179
mav3rick478
Registered Member

Nice!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

mav3rick478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/30/2018, 07:53 PM   #1180
soulpatch
Registered Member

Pic from today after cleaning...

Mav- the eb8 is still working fine

Unread 01/02/2019, 05:54 AM   #1181
homer1475
Registered Member

Still jealous of your tank!

Let me know how you like the kh director, been thinking about picking up one myself. Sick of waiting for the trident.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/09/2019, 02:24 PM   #1182
ReefWreak
Registered Member

Hah, I'm in the same boat on the KH guardian. I actually almost went after the Alkatronic after seeing the low cost of reagents, and yes, of course because I want the Trident but it is still nowhere to be found.

Let us know about the KH guardian.

I watched the live cast from Neptune this afternoon (was presented yesterday). It sounds like they're close... but they've been close for a year.... so who knows. It sounds like their 2 month reagent refills are $40/ 2 months, and they will have "signfiicantly discounted" 6 month refill kits (I bet it's like 25-30% less expensive), but that's $240/year to perhaps $200/year with discounts. Though the upfront cost is lower at "Definitely under $600" so $599.

You guys coming to RAP in April or May, whenever it is? Soul, you're probably going to have your own table this time

ReefWreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/09/2019, 04:40 PM   #1183
soulpatch
Registered Member

All depends on when rap is and if I am not traveling but I would like to be there. Just flying back from turks and caicos today after a site visit. Some pics to make ya jealous are below.

I should have my new couch in next few weeks and then will expand. I also need to get tons of brownouts going before I ever do a real show plus those tables are EXPENSIVE.

I wont be setting up the kh director till after I can get the frag yank running. I want to pull my samples from it.

Unread 01/11/2019, 04:49 PM   #1184
ReefWreak
Registered Member

Eh, those pictures look like when people spend $$$ in the town that I'm from. It doesn't do much for me.

But, your partial FTS looks fantastic. Tank is so grown in! Is that a really thick stylo in the middle? Also the frag tank T-Slot stand looks great. I'm curious to see your thoughts on building and long-term use of it. I think it's a brilliant idea for a stand, though the skinning is tough because it's so custom.

I can't wait until (my tank can grow any SPS) my tank is grown in....

Unread 01/11/2019, 05:52 PM   #1185
soulpatch
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefWreak View Post
Eh, those pictures look like when people spend $$$ in the town that I'm from. It doesn't do much for me.

But, your partial FTS looks fantastic. Tank is so grown in! Is that a really thick stylo in the middle? Also the frag tank T-Slot stand looks great. I'm curious to see your thoughts on building and long-term use of it. I think it's a brilliant idea for a stand, though the skinning is tough because it's so custom.

I can't wait until (my tank can grow any SPS) my tank is grown in....
Back middle is a large chunky purple stylo yes. Tank 8s getting a trimming this week as I prep for a frag swap. Going to be tight on time as I leave for San Diego sunday night till Thursday so the swap will have some fresh cuts. So be it.

The stand is amazing thus far and not planning on closing it in so no worries there for me. I will likely put a shelf under the tank for the kh director to sit on and for a reactor to be moved to from out of my stand.

Bit of sad news in that I lost my blue throat trigger. No signs of distress but came down last night to him barely hanging on. I put him down so as to not have him suffer. Sucks.

Unread 01/11/2019, 06:40 PM   #1186
mav3rick478
Registered Member

That sucks about your Blue Throat, they are nice looking fish. I was always partial to the Clown Trigger or Undulated Trigger but they can't really be in reef tanks.

Unread 01/11/2019, 07:02 PM   #1187
soulpatch
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav3rick478 View Post
That sucks about your Blue Throat, they are nice looking fish. I was always partial to the Clown Trigger or Undulated Trigger but they can't really be in reef tanks.

I will replace with another most likely. Already asked for one to be ordered in. Also need to decide what I will have in my frag tank. Thinking dragon pipe fish.

Got in my pipe for the frag tank today and the fittings. Now need bulkheads and some valves and unions to finish her off when I am actually ready to go. Also still need to decide on powerhead for it. Still thinking gyre but who knows. Might start with some smaller jabeo for a bit till I start selling.

Fragged some items today so they can heal and will be doing more tomorrow. Likely also take a few of the nicer pieces to my LFS as he will get more money for me then I will make at the swap. I still dont have the name yet so people will walk past or balk at my reasonable prices which are at least 30%less than I get from my lfs. Such is life though.

Mav- what are you looking for? I have various items ready to go and owe ya for the eb8. I'm thinking you need a striking sunset milli at a minimum. What else interests you? Pic for reference of milli. Second and third pic is my UC ssc...

Unread 01/20/2019, 03:52 PM   #1188
soulpatch
Registered Member

Woot made almost a grand this past weekend at a swap with my new setup and that was still with me coming home with some frags I bought and 3 acan colonies.

Pics of corals to come

Unread 01/22/2019, 02:30 PM   #1189
soulpatch
Registered Member

I will work on getting some pics this week of new guys but I got the following recently:

voodoo matrix
bubblegum postrata
rr Pink Floyd (to go with my regular Pink Floyd)
Purple Haze
Matt V Rainbow
BC Stag
JF Bug Out Stylo (x2)
3 new Acan colonies
Tierra del Fuego (like a red planet but more vibrant I'd say)

I need to decide on flow for the grow out tank. I like the idea of a gyre BUT the tank is only like 8 inches deep and the obvious cost of the gyre. I don't want an icecap or jabeo gyre either as I want quality. I could do 2 wavemakes in there like a small MP10s or such if I wished as well but thinking gyre would be best.

Fish in growout tank I am thinking of a 6 line wrasse or potentially a pipefish pair both for looks as well as minor pest control. Pipefish would not need fed but flow might be issue for them.

Thoughts?

Unread 01/22/2019, 03:21 PM   #1190
ReefWreak
Registered Member

Those should be some nice new corals. I have a similar list that I sent a deposit on the other day. I'm still playing somewhat cautiously with my stocking, but I'm starting to build up my SPS stable.

Those corals will be great, all awesome looking corals. I'm excited to see pics now that you're able to photoshop like the pros

For the growout tank, the LFS I go to uses gyres on the frag tanks because they're so shallow. Especially the new gyre pumps which have the surface suction prevention hood thing, should be great for a frag tank.

I'm not sure about pipefish, mostly because you'll want somewhat substantial flow in the tank. I guess a sixline would work, and a lot of snails for algae control? I always see tangs in frag tanks, but your water volume might be kind of small for that size fish. You also couldn't keep more wrasses like melanarus because they could jump so you'd have to cover it, plus you can't have them with a sixline. Sixline would be the only wrasse you could have in the tank.

Unread 01/23/2019, 04:37 AM   #1191
homer1475
Registered Member

I always see pipe fish or mandy's in frag tanks. Love me some pipe fish, I think they are soooo cool looking. been toying with the idea of setting up the 30G fresh I have as a species only tank and doing some pipefish or some leafy sea dragons. But my wife also like a mantis shrimp, so it may end up as that. One of the LFS's I go to always has them in stock, and again they are so cool looking.

With my recent success with the 3 or 4 sps pieces I have has me wanting to grab a few more, just have no idea what to get. All the ones I see and like all cost an arm and a leg for a 1/2" nub.

FWIW that sunset milli you posted above is absolutely stunning!

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/28/2019, 01:22 PM   #1192
soulpatch
Registered Member

likely sixline for the frag tank. Have one on order now to go through QT

Unread 01/30/2019, 12:34 PM   #1193
mav3rick478
Registered Member

I would've gone with a yellow coris wrasse but they prefer sand. Could always put a small Tupperware with sand in the tank. I really miss my Yellow Cori's, damn you Melanarus for being a bully!

I want to setup my new tank before getting some corals from you if that's ok?

Unread 01/30/2019, 01:05 PM   #1194
soulpatch
Registered Member

no worries Mav as I will have more coming that might suit your fancy. Just let me know when ready and I will get you a lost and some fire for your tank.

Unread 02/04/2019, 01:45 PM   #1195
biecacka
Registered Member

Tank looks great.
Lucky you for the traveling too. Hope it’s personal and not business so you could play some golf!

Corey

biecacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/04/2019, 01:52 PM   #1196
soulpatch
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biecacka View Post
Tank looks great.
Lucky you for the traveling too. Hope it’s personal and not business so you could play some golf!

Corey
Mainly business but I get free time.

Played provo golf course in turks and caicos last month. In May I'll be in Jacksonville (hopefully) to play players stadium course.

Unread 02/04/2019, 02:56 PM   #1197
biecacka
Registered Member

That’s awesome.
I wish I traveled more for work. Or at all in general

Corey

biecacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/05/2019, 10:28 AM   #1198
soulpatch
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biecacka View Post
That’s awesome.
I wish I traveled more for work. Or at all in general

Corey
My travel is going to be reduced quite a bit this year due to newer job priorities so glad I got it in while I could. Should still get the Jacksonville trip for Players Stadium and hoping to be on the trip back to Turks for Provo again.

As for the tank:

I have a dumpster coming Thursday this week so I can begin clearing stuff out of the house in prep for the tank placement. My new couch comes Saturday and the sectional leaving right before hand. I then have to move my dog crates and rearrange the room ever so slightly before putting the grow out tank in position.

I have the plywood and yoga mat for the tank to sit on and believe I have everything I need EXCEPT a powerhead as I am awaiting the new maxspect gyre 330.

I will likely try to move my chiller under the growout tank to save some room and will likely also look to relocate my reactor to the growout tank's stand for easier access. Will require some longer tubing though to make that happen but need to plan out and measure before ordering.

Finally planning on some additional shelving to go with the cabinet I already have. I won't have the dog crates to stack items on any longer so will get a shelving unit to hold items I use frequently. That OR I move the mini fridge over there as it contains the food and my beer. I only worry about heat exchange going that route so we shall see.

Either way by the end of this weekend I should have the tank and such at least placed around where I want it with plumbing and more to ensue later.

Unread 02/11/2019, 11:40 AM   #1199
soulpatch
Registered Member

So some progress over the weekend. I'll likely flip the shelf unit and cabinet for a slightly better layout but this is where things currently stand.

Just to add dimension to the images next to the shelf is my frag show tank 24x22 and it is right up against the frame for the sliding glass door.

By flipping the shelf location I can use that to hold the kh director as well as the regent. I'll run an waste line out to sink in back room where my AWC currently goes.

Unread 02/17/2019, 05:01 PM   #1200
soulpatch
Registered Member

As is the case I need plumbing parts to finish so they have been ordered. I want to convert to 1/2 tubing to go into stand so as such I have ordered push connect fittings. Makes things easier to disconnect grow out tank as needed. Nothing is glued yet so mind the lack of strap supports and such...

Lighting is hung and I'll put in bulbs when I stop moving things around so much.

The blue board under tank will hold an eb8bat the top for everything to plug into and I'll likely move my reactor to the bottom of that or to the side so i can more easily get to it.

My chiller will also be moved to bottom of stand. I've ordered all new blue tubing to hopefully aid in reducing algae growth in current clear tubing.

Hope to also shift the cabinet and shelves this week so I can hopefully set up the ghl next weekend. I need this tank set up soon as my copperband has discovered some of my acans and I need to move them asap.