Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/30/2017, 10:12 AM   #1
brad
Registered Member

Extra Ocellaris

I inadvertently won a pair of Onyx Ocellaris in a Chinese raffle, the cups were too close together. I already have a much larger pair in a basketball sized Mag, so I tried to trade the prize, but everyone else seemed to have the same problem.

The vendor convinced me that although it is unlikely they'd be accepted into the Mag, in my sized tank (270) the new pair would have enough space on the other side. I have a couple BTAs in the tank as well, so I thought this might work and took the fish.

As soon as the new pair hit the water, they darted into the mag, and all 4 have been fighting since. Today is day 3, and they seem to have calmed down some, and no fish appear hurt. It is almost comical, as the new fish will instigate attacks on the established fish that are 10 times their size.

Will this go on indefinitely? Or will the new pair eventually be chased out into a BTA? Or will they get killed?

brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/30/2017, 11:06 AM   #2
davocean
Registered Member

This is a good example of clowns going to their natural host nem match, the mag is natural, BTA's are not, so it does not surprise me that's where they went.

As for the outcome, your guess is as good as anyone elses, no one can say for sure, but at least your tank provides room to run if they are smart enough, who knows, maybe you will get lucky, but in a normal size tank outcome is usually not good.

Good luck and post what happens.

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
davocean is offline   Reply With Quote