Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/26/2017, 09:34 AM   #1
Gary Majchrzak
Team RC Member

Post slim overflow shootout: REEF SAVVY, SYNERGY, ESHOPPS

Emerging overflow designs that have some faithful followers running them well past their break-in periods at this point in time.
GOT ANY SALT CREEP BY NOW?
Are any of these designs more efficient (or silent) than others?
What about installation woes...running headaches and maintenance challenges?
Pros, cons , SUGGESTIONS FOR IMPROVEMENTS or considerations for future installations POST THEM HERE

Current Tank Info: 84x24x30 265g reef past TOTM honors
Gary Majchrzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2017, 09:38 AM   #2
africangrey
Registered Member

I would like to know this too.

africangrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2017, 12:24 PM   #3
twitchy
Registered Member

I have a eshopps, works pretty good. little loud, but I built a hofer gurgle buster and that fixed it. Highly recommend the gurgle buster

No issues with salt creep or it losing prime, only problem is algae growing in the clear overflow tube. It's no big deal though, just take it out every couple months and run some bleach water through it.

twitchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2017, 12:43 PM   #4
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Just bought the 36" modular marine version - build quality is impressive but it won't be getting wet for a while still.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2017, 01:00 PM   #5
LQT
Registered Member

I'm really bummed that I just had to sell my Synergy Reef Shadow overflow. The 16" length was too wide to accommodate the Kessil tank mount arms for my AP700. Trying to decide between the 12" Modular Marine model or the Eshopps Eclipse Large.

Deep Blue 57 Edge ATI Acro Garden Build Thread
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=25573384#post25573384

Current Tank Info: DeepBlue 57 Edge
LQT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2017, 01:08 PM   #6
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchy View Post
I have a eshopps, works pretty good. little loud, but I built a hofer gurgle buster and that fixed it. Highly recommend the gurgle buster

No issues with salt creep or it losing prime, only problem is algae growing in the clear overflow tube. It's no big deal though, just take it out every couple months and run some bleach water through it.
OP is talking about the thru tank ghost overflows not the HoB models.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
Unread 05/26/2017, 01:16 PM   #7
LQT
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchy View Post
So I just looked up the hofer gurgle buster... It looks like a stockman standpipe that I have for one of my old HOB overflow boxes. Do you use the gurgle buster for the full siphon or the open channel? Do you have any pictures of the plumbing arrangement in the rear box of your Eclipse overflow?

* Edit - oh never mind didn't catch the losing prime comment...

Last edited by LQT; 05/26/2017 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Just read Ca1ore's post about wrong overflow
Unread 05/26/2017, 01:51 PM   #8
twitchy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LQT View Post
So I just looked up the hofer gurgle buster... It looks like a stockman standpipe that I have for one of my old HOB overflow boxes. Do you use the gurgle buster for the full siphon or the open channel? Do you have any pictures of the plumbing arrangement in the rear box of your Eclipse overflow?

* Edit - oh never mind didn't catch the losing prime comment...
My bad, I should've read OPs question better

twitchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2017, 02:40 PM   #9
iiismet
Registered Member

i have the eclipse L for about a year now and ive not had any issues with salt creep. my only complaint is that i have a slight bow on the outside box

iiismet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2017, 03:53 PM   #10
Gary Majchrzak
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
Just bought the 36" modular marine version - build quality is impressive but it won't be getting wet for a while still.
looks like good stuff.
Did you get a dual box model... do they include a cover for the outside box?
Is the weir removable?

Current Tank Info: 84x24x30 265g reef past TOTM honors
Gary Majchrzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2017, 07:07 PM   #11
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Yes, dual box in the sense that there's an internal and an external box. Both come with covers. On their new models the entire inner skim box can be removed. I opted for non removable as I was having a bit of trouble getting my head around the notion of removable. Internal and external boxes are both 36" long.

Unread 05/27/2017, 06:57 AM   #12
Desert Sea
Registered Member

If your looking for an external overflow, check out Elite Aquatics. I have the 16" model. It has a removable weir as well as covers and inspection windows for the rear box. The workmanship is excellent and they can build other sizes as well. They offer it in either a two or three drain configuration.

Desert Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/27/2017, 10:52 AM   #13
BigBlueTang
Registered Member

I have the synergy reef overflow, and I have salt creep on the top of mine. I do like my overflow, but the only problem I have with it is that the stencil they gave with the overflow is woefully off. My water level is around 2-3" below the trim and it looks awful. I'm planning on fixing that soon. Otherwise, it's been great. I built a bean animal overflow into it, and while it may not be a true bean, it does the job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 05/27/2017, 01:01 PM   #14
Syntax1325
Acro Addict

24" Modular Marine dual box. Weir is not removable but this is the only box with beveled teeth. I do get some salt creep at the top of the box. Covers for external
and internal box were extra.
IMG_0019.jpgIMG_0020.jpg

Current Tank Info: 180g sps dom, 40b sump, Reeflo Dart, Apex, Aquamaxx co2, Reefbrite mh/led pendants w/14k twinarcs, Kore 5th doser, Tunze ATO, Ranco controlling 800 watt Finnex tube, 2 Maxpect Gyre 150XF with Ice Cap Controllers and battery backup, Bean Animal drain
Syntax1325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/27/2017, 05:25 PM   #15
terry4505
Registered Member

Not sure what the problem with the stencil for the Synergy Reef overflow was? I used it with absolutely no problem. The waterline is hidden behind the plastic trim.

I have both the Synergy Reef and Eshoppes Eclipse. The Eshoppes is a bit loud. The Synergy Reef works flawlessly. Dead silent with a basement sump.

terry4505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/27/2017, 05:57 PM   #16
BigBlueTang
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry4505 View Post
Not sure what the problem with the stencil for the Synergy Reef overflow was? I used it with absolutely no problem. The waterline is hidden behind the plastic trim.

I have both the Synergy Reef and Eshoppes Eclipse. The Eshoppes is a bit loud. The Synergy Reef works flawlessly. Dead silent with a basement sump.

Interesting. I'm 99.9% sure we drilled it right, what size is your tank? Mine is an aqueon 75... I'm very happy with it otherwise, and will be glueing a piece of acrylic to the teeth in order to raise the water level in a couple days.

Unread 05/27/2017, 05:58 PM   #17
terry4505
Registered Member

180 Perfecto. Lined the stencil up with the trim:

Last edited by Misled; 11/02/2017 at 04:41 PM.
terry4505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/27/2017, 06:27 PM   #18
BigBlueTang
Registered Member

Gorgeous tank... Not sure man, maybe I did it wrong, but I don't think so. Whatever, it'll be fixed soon.

Unread 05/28/2017, 10:07 AM   #19
africangrey
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry4505 View Post
180 Perfecto. Lined the stencil up with the trim:

Nice den for the puppy.

Last edited by Misled; 11/02/2017 at 04:41 PM.
africangrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/28/2017, 10:29 AM   #20
JoeyBagadonuts
Registered Member

Only had the 16" Synergy Reef overflow for a couple months, but I have had no issues with it so far. As far as installing it on my Aqueon 75, I had to put it as far up as possible, while barely being able to remove the back cover. If I had put it just a millimeter lower you would be able to see the water line below the trim. Luckily I got it just right. The trim on those tanks are very big. Other than that, I would highly recommend it. Plus, good customer service, I called them with some install questions and they were extremely helpful.

Unread 05/28/2017, 11:43 AM   #21
Rick55555
Registered Member

Is anyone willing to provide any insight with respect to their tank's overall water level (from the top of the tank) using the Reef Savvy, Synergy or Eshopps overflow systems? I am not sure which of the three to purchase given that I want my tank's overall water level to be as high as possible.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Rick

Rick55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/28/2017, 12:12 PM   #22
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

It's a function of how high you drill the holes, not so much the actual overflow. Also the amount of water going through will dictate water level.

Unread 05/28/2017, 07:31 PM   #23
Syntax1325
Acro Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick55555 View Post
Is anyone willing to provide any insight with respect to their tank's overall water level (from the top of the tank) using the Reef Savvy, Synergy or Eshopps overflow systems? I am not sure which of the three to purchase given that I want my tank's overall water level to be as high as possible.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Rick

Don't dismiss Modular Marine without thoroughly checking them out, they have a quality product.

Current Tank Info: 180g sps dom, 40b sump, Reeflo Dart, Apex, Aquamaxx co2, Reefbrite mh/led pendants w/14k twinarcs, Kore 5th doser, Tunze ATO, Ranco controlling 800 watt Finnex tube, 2 Maxpect Gyre 150XF with Ice Cap Controllers and battery backup, Bean Animal drain
Syntax1325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/30/2017, 11:28 AM   #24
LQT
Registered Member

I just ordered the newer style 12" Modular Marine overflow that now comes standard with a removable front weir box and lids for both the front and rear boxes. I upgraded from the 3 x 3/4" uniseal drains to 3 x 1" bulkhead drains. I'll post pictures of it when it comes in. Everyone's positive reviews about Modular Marine are encouraging.

Unread 05/30/2017, 01:16 PM   #25
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Very interested to see that - though it presents an opportunity for me to have buyers remorse since mine is the old style, well, sort of ....