Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/09/2010, 08:53 AM   #1
JoshuaG
Registered Member

Cyano in new tank, rock related?

My tank is going on two months old now, have been battling a pretty bad cyano issue for the past 3 weeks. I have zero fish in the tank, am not feeding anything. 20% water change every week, RODI water, running GFO and still cannot kick the cyano out of the tank.

I used mostly dry Marco rock for the tank with a few pieces of live rock, I did nothing but a rinse on the marco rock. What is feeding the cyano? It's driving me crazy. I tried to no light for 2-3 days but the cyano I have seems to grow overnight and disappear in the day.

Anything else I can do before I resort to chemi-clean?

JoshuaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/09/2010, 01:42 PM   #2
rivoth
Registered Member

Need pictures. Cyano is photosynthetic and I've never heard of it growing without light. If it does grow at night then you likely have something else, though I can't think of what. Pictures will help.

rivoth is offline   Reply With Quote