Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/07/2017, 11:37 AM   #126
siliconinja
Registered Member

Display on the left, QT on the right.

Down to about 0.25 ammonia, a touch of nitrite and no nitrates in the display. Should be seeing that spike in nitrites anytime now...

QT is cycled for sure, small amount of nitrates but no big deal.

My display crept up to 1.027 so I'll do a water change with some fresh water today to drop that down to 1.025. I keep the QT at 1.023 and slowly rising when I do a 7-10 day water change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

siliconinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/11/2017, 08:47 PM   #127
siliconinja
Registered Member

The finish work has begun! It's starting to look finished. Did the styles on the sides, closed it off. Just need to panel off the front, attach the doors, and do the trim piece of tile around the bottom.

We'll take some time to stain it as well, assuming that will be a long process.

Didn't get any time to aquascape last weekend. Will be getting on it this weekend at last!

Unread 01/12/2017, 10:54 PM   #128
siliconinja
Registered Member

More finish work completed. Just need to do the doors, and tile splash strip on the floor... and stain it.

Unread 01/15/2017, 11:59 PM   #129
siliconinja
Registered Member

Aquascaping Attempt #1

I think I'll sit on it for a week and see how I like it, and keep gluing pieces in that I like.

The left side is all secure, im pretty happy with what I have there. The right side could use some work

Unread 01/19/2017, 01:15 AM   #130
siliconinja
Registered Member

I decided to stick with the aquascape, looks great with the sand in it!

Hooked up the skimmer, have it running wet to break it in for a couple of weeks

Moved the bicolor dottyback over from the QT. The first addition to the display!

I have some clowns coming in tomorrow, a pair of tank-raised. They'll be going to the QT for a bit to get acclimated, then into the display soon!

I'll post more pics when the sand settles out completely. I forgot how the silt gets everywhere, I did a big water change today and shop-vac' out the sump to get it nice and clean. I then wiped down the interior of the display with a paper towel, and gave the sump a good sponge bath in RODI before refilling it.

Unread 01/19/2017, 10:32 AM   #131
JonezNReef
Registered Member

Very nice!! I like the open scape even more with the sand too. Stand is coming along too. Atleast you are finally to the fun part of figuring out and putting in stock. Can't wait to see a FTS once the dust settles

Current Tank Info: System 1 Mixed Reef: 180g DT,180g Fuge, 120g Sump http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2611735
JonezNReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/19/2017, 10:26 PM   #132
siliconinja
Registered Member

Rimless 120g TSVBI Dream Build

Well since you asked!

Looks awesome, I'm super happy with it. Only used about 80lbs of rock, but with the bioreactor and a light stocking load I think it should be fine. If I have to add some more rock in the future than so be it.

The dottyback is loving the tank, swimming in between the rock and is much more friendly after a light feeding this morning.

Looking forward to picking up a pair of clowns tomorrow! That should add more life and movement to the display once they're acclimated in the QT

The stand needs a few more steps: the doors are being custom made now. They'll have locks, push to open, and soft close. Also will be solid oak for sound deadening, and a gasket around the outside edge for a better seal. Then the entire stand will need to be stained and urethane applied. I have a 48x24 piece of plywood hanging around to function as a lid while that work is ongoing.

I can comfortably say: it's onto the fun part

Last edited by siliconinja; 01/19/2017 at 10:32 PM.
Unread 01/20/2017, 08:13 AM   #133
childress5tyler
Registered Member

Great start!

childress5tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/26/2017, 11:35 PM   #134
jml1149
Registered Member

Wow, love the Kessil mounting configuration!

Unread 01/26/2017, 11:40 PM   #135
jml1149
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by siliconinja View Post

I need some redundancy and protection for my setup. A float valve for the RODI reservoir to start. Possibly more float switches hooked up to the Apex for notifications, or the ALD module, to control a solenoid.

Something will need to be done, the wife wasn't happy.
Did you ever get a float valve? I just ordered one on Amazon complete with an entire bracket setup for like 20 bucks. Cheap insurance.

I've flooded the basement so many times...

Unread 01/30/2017, 06:39 PM   #136
Civicman86
Registered Member

Your tank looks spectacular! Absolutly love your aquascape - your build is what has inspiried my 75g build. Keep it up!!

Current Tank Info: 75G FOWL Build
Civicman86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/30/2017, 06:41 PM   #137
Civicman86
Registered Member

Also meant to ask, what type of rock is that? Where did you purchase it?

Current Tank Info: 75G FOWL Build
Civicman86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2017, 03:00 PM   #138
siliconinja
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by childress5tyler View Post
Great start!
Thank you! It's coming along as well as I could hope. I'm limited on how much time I can spend on it, so the progress has been slower than I would have hoped for at the start. But overall, I'm happy with the results!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jml1149 View Post
Wow, love the Kessil mounting configuration!
Thank you, I love it too. I had to swap my wide 360's for narrow versions due to the height of the header, but they work great and with 3 I don't have much shadowing.

I will say it's a bit loud when you're standing right in front of the tank, definitely noticeable when they're on vs at night. I've been thinking I will try some neoprene rings around the opening to attempt and dampen the noise from transferring into the wood header. I don't know how much it will help, when I'm on the couch you don't really hear it, but I still don't have doors on the base so once those go on It may be more noticeable.

I like that I can just pickup a fixture from above, they're just held in place by gravity. I also appreciate that the top is open, so I don't worry about ventilating the fixtures. Also the header is 18" wide, so I don't have to worry much about humidity from above the tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jml1149 View Post
Did you ever get a float valve? I just ordered one on Amazon complete with an entire bracket setup for like 20 bucks. Cheap insurance.

I've flooded the basement so many times...
I'm ashamed to admit that I do have a float valve and acrylic bracket, still in the box I haven't installed it yet. But no issues since the last mistake. I'm still planning on installing this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civicman86 View Post
Your tank looks spectacular! Absolutly love your aquascape - your build is what has inspiried my 75g build. Keep it up!!
I really appreciate your comment, I've studied many tanks on reef central, and was really hesitant about making a build log because I'm no expert. I'm happy sharing my experience has helped you along your way, excited to watch your build too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civicman86 View Post
Also meant to ask, what type of rock is that? Where did you purchase it?
It's Real Reef Rock (www.realreefrock.com), I picked it up through an lfs. I love the stuff, really natural looking and it doesn't grow much algae. My box had a ton of rubble rock, be careful to pick out pieces vs buying a case.

It comes in wrapped in wet paper, it's cycled so it will be up and running quick. It's a process to unbox, rinse, etc. Also kind of messy. Much better if your lfs has it in a tank, you pick out the pieces you want.

Unread 02/26/2017, 03:04 PM   #139
siliconinja
Registered Member

So I've been mia for about a month, busy with work and took a quick family vacation in between.

The tank is doing well, still only has the dottyback and two clowns in it. I just picked up 5 tank-raised Bengali cardinals that are in the QT along with a shrimp.

I added some mushrooms in the display. Looking forward to a small sri-lankan blonde naso tang and a small purple tang. Planning to qt and introduce them at the same time.

I'll continue to slowly add corals at the same time. Parameters are good, I need to setup my Neptune dos and 2-part soon before starting with stony corals

Unread 03/16/2017, 08:57 PM   #140
JonezNReef
Registered Member

How's the tank coming along...any updates?

Current Tank Info: System 1 Mixed Reef: 180g DT,180g Fuge, 120g Sump http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2611735
Unread 03/20/2017, 10:39 PM   #141
fishresponse
Registered Member

How do you like the real reef rock? I need to get some more rock myself and thinking of giving it a try

265g w/ 20" synergy overflow box
Hamilton Cebu MH/T5 fixture w/ 250w Radium bulbs
SPS/LPS mix | 30g (long) refugium with cheato | 40g sump
fishresponse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2017, 01:22 AM   #142
BKREEFBABY
Registered Member

Tank is looking really sweet

BKREEFBABY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/08/2017, 08:56 PM   #143
siliconinja
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonezNReef View Post
How's the tank coming along...any updates?

I've really been slipping on updates, unfortunately I haven't had much time to work on the tank.

It's doing well, the usual to-be-expected algaes. I'm letting them run through, I let it build for about 30 days and did a deep clean. About 14 days in I cleaned through the sump.

I spent some time last night on the deep clean, it looks great. I tumbled the sand and evened out the bed, and did about a 35g water change. Seriously considering making a "gun" to pump water from the mixing station to the tank. I'm currently carrying 5g buckets.

I tried a group of Bengai cardinals in the QT but they didn't make it. Randomly started dropping one-by-one with no signs of stress, they were all eating well. I emptied the tank and filled it with 3-3.5% bleach solution and tap water to sanitize. I'll empty it in a day or two and let it air dry for a few days. I'll wipe down with rodi, and fill with mixed water just before picking up the next addition.

I have a sheet of floss in my DT's sump seeding in the meantime. I'm thinking of picking up the naso =]

Jonez I need to catch up on your thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishresponse View Post
How do you like the real reef rock? I need to get some more rock myself and thinking of giving it a try

I'm a fan, it looks great off the start and algae doesn't seem to stick to it. It's easy to build with, mine did come with a small amount of bubble algae on it out of the box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKREEFBABY View Post
Tank is looking really sweet

Thank you! I really need to get the stand finished. The tile trim is finished, it's a 3+ inch strip around the perimeter.

I need to get the doors in, do the finish sand. I'll have to seal openings and the top of the tank with plastic, but have a couple of large 120v computer fans to place in the top of the columns to ventilate.

Then I'll need someone to come in and stain it a dark espresso.

Cool thing I did recently with the lights is re-arrange the configuration, adding a second apex control cable, to control the center light separately from the outside lights. While mediating the initial algae bloom I disabled the center light. I found the mushrooms still loved the light, and are spreading and flourishing.

The new configuration allows for some interesting mixes of intensity and color. I also like running the center light as a moonlight.

I need to make a custom skimmate collection cup with apex notifications next to fit within one of the columns.

It's getting there, hopefully it'll really start to come together soon!

Unread 07/03/2017, 01:16 AM   #144
siliconinja
Registered Member

Doors are on! The tank has been doing great. In addition to the blue mushroom coral, I've added a large leather coral with great extension and most recently a fox coral that's doing great. The mushrooms have started to appear in new places too which is pretty cool.

As far as fish I have the 3 platinum clownfish. I've added a royal gramma that's a shy guy, and tonight after a deep clean of my sump and nice 35g water change, I transferred a powder brown to my display that has spent the past 3-ish weeks in quarantine. He's my first "showfish".

I had let the algae in my display run its course, and added the following clean up crew to start mowing down: 3 emerald crabs, 2 peppermint shrimp, 10 snails, 10 hermits. I wanted to really let the tank break -in before adding the inverts. It's been 2-3 weeks since I've started adding them, and they've made a solid 60-70% reduction.

I'll be spending the next 4-6 weeks at home quite a bit, my wife and I recently had our second child, a boy to bring balance to our family. I'm looking forward to filling and finish sanding all the millwork while I'm home... Prepping it for a dark espresso stain. I'll also be packing the display tank full of coral, looking to pickup a small purple tang for my QT

I'll add some more pictures tomorrow! Here's what I have on my phone for now

Unread 07/03/2017, 07:34 AM   #145
JonezNReef
Registered Member

Good stuff cant wait to see some more pictures! Glad to see your tank is doing well. Also congrats on your new addition to your family!!

Unread 07/03/2017, 12:24 PM   #146
siliconinja
Registered Member

Quote:
Good stuff cant wait to see some more pictures! Glad to see your tank is doing well. Also congrats on your new addition to your family!!

Thanks Jonez! I've been dropping in on your thread from time to time, your tanks and livestock look great!

Here are some more pics I just took!

Unread 07/03/2017, 04:01 PM   #147
JonezNReef
Registered Member

Very Nice!! Your corals look happy and that powder brown looks awesome. Always wanted to get one but I already have 2 tangs. Any future coral plans?

Unread 07/04/2017, 09:51 PM   #148
siliconinja
Registered Member

Quote:
Very Nice!! Your corals look happy and that powder brown looks awesome. Always wanted to get one but I already have 2 tangs. Any future coral plans?

Definitely, I have all of my rockwork laid out in zones. Tomorrow I'll upload a pic of each side and apply some photoshop to identify coral zones. Top on my priority list in the near future:
- Two types of Frogspawn
- Hammer coral
- Bubble Coral
- Variety of Zoas

After that I'll be focused on a variety of SPS to fill out the top of the rockwork

My lfs is getting a big shipment of coral in on Thursday so I'm planning on going in Friday morning to get a first crack at the delivery, take as much of the lps as possible!

I'm going to hold off on the fish additions for some time; maybe pickup one more for the QT to hang out for 4-6 weeks as the display adjusts to the bioload of 5 fish.

Thanks for checking in and keeping the conversation going! It keeps me motivated Jonez

Unread 07/06/2017, 09:11 PM   #149
siliconinja
Registered Member

Unfortunate: I came downstairs this morning to find that my apex had reset itself, the temp had dropped to 75 degrees. My kessils were flashing, clearly stressing the fish.

My newly added Powder Brown seems to have been most stressed and has developed ich / velvet. I wasn't sure this afternoon, but after just now checking I can confirm he has the tell-tale white spots developing on his fins.

I'm going to watch for 24 hours to see if it gets worse, if it does I'll have to net him and get him back in the QT for a round of copper and prazi

Unread 07/07/2017, 06:46 AM   #150
JonezNReef
Registered Member

Well that sucks... never heard of a APEX resetting its self. Are you going to remove all fish from the DT and let it go fallow for 3 months. I had to do that one time when I accidentally introduced ich to my DT too.