Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/13/2014, 07:13 AM   #1
Kaman8
Registered Member

My first LPS coral

I only have soft corals in my tank and then i have decide to add LPS . This is my first LPS. It is in my tank 2 days now.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (63.2 KB, 118 views)
Kaman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2014, 07:18 AM   #2
Lincutis
Registered Member

Beautiful. Congrats.

Current Tank Info: 40 Gallon Breeder with 20 gallon sump./Apex, AI Sol Blue, In Sump Skimmer, Geo Calcium Reactor, WP-25 Wave Pump, Tunze Nano ATO, Carbon/GFO Reactors
Lincutis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2014, 07:20 AM   #3
reefanatik
Registered Member

Nice. Good luck. I haven'thad success with them. They are hard to keep, so I've read

reefanatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2014, 07:24 AM   #4
Sugar Magnolia
Registered Member

Gonioporas are very difficult to care for. You'll want to do some research on how to give it the optimum environment.

The only thing to fear is fear itself....and spiders.
Sugar Magnolia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2014, 07:33 AM   #5
Kaman8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia View Post
Gonioporas are very difficult to care for. You'll want to do some research on how to give it the optimum environment.
I did research when i already bought it . Now i know that it is difficult to keep, but i am too late with it. Most peoples keep it for 1 year. I will be very happy if i can keep it a year.

Unread 03/13/2014, 07:34 AM   #6
Kaman8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefanatik View Post
Nice. Good luck. I haven'thad success with them. They are hard to keep, so I've read
How long did you have it? What are easier LPS corals?

Unread 03/13/2014, 07:56 AM   #7
Crooked Reef
Registered Member

They like some nutrients in the water so they are definitely not compatible with sps. I had my first one for about 3 to 4 years before a power outage and no generator killed off almost everything in my tank. If they are happy they will reproduce by dropping smaller "buds" for lack of a better word.

From what I know they are one of the most difficult lps to keep, although I have better luck with mine than I did with a cynarina. Hammers, frogspawn, and torches are pretty easy going with the right flow and lights. Basically the same as your goni.

Crooked Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2014, 09:02 AM   #8
Kaman8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crooked Reef View Post
They like some nutrients in the water so they are definitely not compatible with sps. I had my first one for about 3 to 4 years before a power outage and no generator killed off almost everything in my tank. If they are happy they will reproduce by dropping smaller "buds" for lack of a better word.

From what I know they are one of the most difficult lps to keep, although I have better luck with mine than I did with a cynarina. Hammers, frogspawn, and torches are pretty easy going with the right flow and lights. Basically the same as your goni.
I was planning to keep sps too when i have upgrade my tank. I do weekly 25% wc. My water is pretty clean......they like more dirtier water?

Unread 03/13/2014, 09:06 AM   #9
Edstewart5
Registered Member

Easy LPS = Acans, frogspawn, Duncan. IME those are all very forgiving and easy to care for.

Unread 03/13/2014, 09:10 AM   #10
FullBoreReefer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaman8 View Post
I was planning to keep sps too when i have upgrade my tank. I do weekly 25% wc. My water is pretty clean......they like more dirtier water?
Wow 25% weekly? Holy cow! Talk about flushing money down the drain...IMO

Unread 03/13/2014, 10:07 AM   #11
Kaman8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullBoreReefer View Post
Wow 25% weekly? Holy cow! Talk about flushing money down the drain...IMO
I have bta and I need to keep the water clean and stable.

Unread 03/13/2014, 04:58 PM   #12
Crooked Reef
Registered Member

They are normally found in lagoons. Moderate flow, moderate light and the water is nowhere near as pristine as on a reef. They are classified as difficult to care for by most and do best in a species specific environment. They also have a reputation of appearing to thrive and then crashing within a day or two. Was it fragged off of a mother colony or a whole specimen?

Unread 03/13/2014, 06:06 PM   #13
regent2010
Registered Member

how big is ur system? for bta & flowerport, u don't need to keep the water too clean. I say once a month 10 % waterchange is all u need. also turn off ur skimmer for 2 hour at night to feed the flowerport is not a bad idea.

regent2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2014, 06:06 PM   #14
Kaman8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crooked Reef View Post
They are normally found in lagoons. Moderate flow, moderate light and the water is nowhere near as pristine as on a reef. They are classified as difficult to care for by most and do best in a species specific environment. They also have a reputation of appearing to thrive and then crashing within a day or two. Was it fragged off of a mother colony or a whole specimen?
I think it is fragged off because it's not that big

Unread 03/13/2014, 06:08 PM   #15
Kaman8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by regent2010 View Post
how big is ur system? for bta & flowerport, u don't need to keep the water too clean. I say once a month 10 % waterchange is all u need. also turn off ur skimmer for 2 hour at night to feed the flowerport is not a bad idea.
What should I feed it?

Unread 03/13/2014, 06:50 PM   #16
greech
Registered Member

Not all gonipora are difficult. My red one was grown like crazy and I never feed it. I have several SPS doing well in my tank too. Mostly mills and montis but they have good growth, PE and color. While there are many species, the goni you have has the same structure as mine. The encrusting gonis seem to be much more difficult. Not saying not to feed it or that it won't benefit from it. Just be careful not to pollute your tank with food (it's not hard to do).

Current Tank Info: Tank: 40 breeder; 20H sump w/SWC 120; Sicce 3.0 return; Vortech MP-10; Sundial T5, DIY Actinic LED (3W Cree). Livestock: Pair of Black & Whites; Midas Blenny; Firefish; Yasha/pistol; Black Leopard Wrasse; LPS and SPS
greech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2014, 10:25 PM   #17
tonymission
Registered Member

Is that also known as a flowerpot? I have one doing great and don't do anything special ... Super long extension all the time it seems

tonymission is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2014, 12:14 AM   #18
Kaman8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymission View Post
Is that also known as a flowerpot? I have one doing great and don't do anything special ... Super long extension all the time it seems
How long do you have it?

Unread 03/14/2014, 12:16 AM   #19
Kaman8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greech View Post
Not all gonipora are difficult. My red one was grown like crazy and I never feed it. I have several SPS doing well in my tank too. Mostly mills and montis but they have good growth, PE and color. While there are many species, the goni you have has the same structure as mine. The encrusting gonis seem to be much more difficult. Not saying not to feed it or that it won't benefit from it. Just be careful not to pollute your tank with food (it's not hard to do).
They said that the red 1 is more easier, but what is the different between colors. It's still a flowerpot.

Unread 03/14/2014, 06:04 AM   #20
Crooked Reef
Registered Member

Look at my album in my profile. I actually have 3 different ones. A green, red, and a pink/purple color with yellow mouths. From my understanding the red and purple ones have more zoolanthea so they feed off of the light more. I don't actually target feed mine as they get bits of rods food when I feed the tank but you can try live phytoplankton.

Unread 03/14/2014, 06:56 AM   #21
tonymission
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaman8 View Post
How long do you have it?

Bout 6 months.. I know that's not a super long time or anything.

tonymission is offline   Reply With Quote