Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/04/2011, 01:42 AM   #1
rcg49
Registered Member

Just a few questions, looking for input

Reef Central is my life saver! Last time I used it I received amazing responses in a prompt manner. Because of this I would like to ask a few more questions that I hope you can assist me with.

My tangs (Hippo tang, Powder Brown tang, and Scopas Tang) were in a QT for a little bit while my new tank was cycling. My Hippo tang was the first to re-enter my 110 gal tank and later that day I realized he had several white spots which I immediately recognized as Ich. So I took him out (after a few hours of fishing for him) and put him back in the QT tank with my Powder Brown tang. I'm now using some medicine called QuICK CURE which I had on hand and a little bit of Mela fix.
My first question is: Since my Hippo Tang was in my 110 gal. tank for almost a day, is it possible that he infected the rest of the tank? I read in the sticky that Ich can live in the substrate or something, so is there something I should do to prevent later brake outs?

The second potion is I rockscaped my boyfriend's 50 gal. tank (that he's had running for about 8 months) about 2 weeks ago and within the last few days I've noticed that his Foxface rabbit fish is twitchy/spazy/erratic and camouflages with his spines up more often then usual. He's eating great like always, but he's acting out of the usual. He only lives with a snowflake eel that never bothers him.
Nitrates and nitrites are 0
Temp is 78 degrees
Salinity is 1.026
PH is about 7.8-8.0 (he started working on raising it today)
My second question is: Does anyone have any idea what might be happening? Should I be worried?

Thank you,
Rosie

rcg49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/04/2011, 08:08 AM   #2
cilyjr
Registered Member

if it was ich they could now possibly be alive in the main tank. check out some threads on the life cycle on the parasite. in the tomite stage of life they are free swimming and can live for a few weeks. it really depends if the fish had the parasite at exactly the right time to have dropped babies.

the fish may just be upset by the new surroundings. his favorite hiding place may be gone. if thats the case he will probably find a new spot and settle down

Current Tank Info: 180 inwall, 75 sump, 20lfrag, 3x lumen max elite w/250w radium 20k, recirc modded asm g-3, aqua controller apex,2x rw-20, 350lbs LR
cilyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/05/2011, 09:35 AM   #3
rcg49
Registered Member

Yeah i read that sticky thread, but the one thing It didn't seem to talk about, was if the parasite is living in your sand, if there is a way to prevent it from attacking another fish. I got my blue tang out of my tank really quickly and into my QT, but he had to have gotten it from somewhere and my guess is the sand. I was just curious if there are any preventative measures i can take

rcg49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/05/2011, 03:52 PM   #4
cilyjr
Registered Member

fallow tank for 6 weeks is the preferred method

Current Tank Info: 180 inwall, 75 sump, 20lfrag, 3x lumen max elite w/250w radium 20k, recirc modded asm g-3, aqua controller apex,2x rw-20, 350lbs LR
cilyjr is offline   Reply With Quote