Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/25/2013, 11:32 PM   #1
nsmith_mma
Registered Member

Mixed Reef: Yay or Nay?

Is it actually practical to run a fully mixed reef? Right now I have mostly SPS with one Acan brain coral and a zoanthid rock. I'm thinking about sticking more strictly to SPS but I really love some LPS as well including wellsos, frogspawns, candy canes, blastos, etc.

Would you guys recommend mixing corals like this or in your experience have you had better luck keeping strictly one type? And if it is alright to mix, would you recommend keeping them at different levels, or is it alright to kind of intersperse different types, depending on species of course?

Current Tank Info: 90 Gallon Mixed Reef
nsmith_mma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2013, 11:48 PM   #2
Nano sapiens
Registered Member

Yes, it is certainly possible. I have Ricordia, Zoanthids, Mussids (Acanthastrea, Lobophyllia), Pavona, Montipora and Acropora in a small tank running nearly five years together.

There are certain challenges and considerations, however. Ideally, the nutrient levels in the tank need to be high enough to support the non-SPS, but low enough to keep the SPS growing and colored up. Certain soft corals can produce some powerful chemicals that can serious harm hard corals, so it is often recommended to run GAC. It is best to place the different corals where they don't contact each other and in locations conducive to their well being (proper flow and lighting).

Nano sapiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2013, 01:40 AM   #3
Michigan Mike
Freedom costs a buckofive

My avatar. 29g 4x24 Sunpower
Mixed reef, no sump, no skimmer, its LPS dominate, only 1 clownfish @ the moment.
I don't think its much different just keep Leathers/LPS separate from your SPS.
Run carbon if you think you need it. I run GFO/chemipure elite, kalk, & baked soda.
Small tanks right? Lol

To directly answer, mix it up unless you love a certain type of coral, your imagination is the limit!

Michigan Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2013, 10:55 AM   #4
kreef82
Registered Member

yay

kreef82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2013, 01:57 PM   #5
cugly
Dansreeftank

Ive done it for years with no problem

Unread 02/26/2013, 03:43 PM   #6
Mussin
Registered Member

I love the mixed look, my 90 has a little of each...

Unread 02/26/2013, 03:49 PM   #7
Fishmommy
Registered Member

That tank is awesome

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Unread 02/26/2013, 03:58 PM   #8
Palting
Registered Member

Very nice tank, Mussin, my fellow Ohioan.

Nano sapiens has said it in a nutshell. The challenge is finding the right compromise between lights, flow, nutrient levels, and keeping them separate, keeping carbon for the toxins. The challenge is part of the fun! Finding the right light and flow will be about location/placement. If you have good success with SPS, the challenge will be finding the right nutrient levels. That's where I'm at currently. My nutrient levels are perfect for SPS but too low for LPS/softies to thrive, so I'm slowly raising it.

Here's my Mixed reef, SPS dominated:

Current Tank Info: Incept 3/2010, 150 RR, 50g sump, 20g fuge, 150w 15K MH x3, T5 actinics x8, moonlight LED x6, 1400gph return, Koralia 1400 x4, 300 g skimmer, 4 tangs, 2 mandarins, 2 perc, 6 line, 3 cardinals, 2 firefish, SPS, LPS, zoas, palys, shrooms, clam
Palting is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2013, 04:04 PM   #9
dowtish
Registered Member

Lots of SPS in mine, but it aslo has a little bit of everything else too. You have to find a nice balance of keeping your nutrients low, but be able to feed a lot too.

Build Thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2339384
dowtish is offline   Reply With Quote