Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/25/2011, 10:03 AM   #51
collie man
Stoney Reefer

actually im a bit more confused. is that an entirely different skimmer?

collie man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/25/2011, 11:08 AM   #52
KMP
Wag More; Bark Less

Quote:
Originally Posted by collie man View Post
actually im a bit more confused. is that an entirely different skimmer?
Yes, the SC65 skimmer is a different skimmer than the SC150 which spurred the review.

Update: Got a response from the seller with a couple reasonable options to resolve the problem. I had an additonal question so just waiting to hear back from them. On a scale of 1 - 10; bump it up to an 8. There is no doubt the seller wants to do the right thing. My only concern, when you pay for something with free shipping; then by no fault of your own you have to ship it back at your expense - then it now becomes not as good of a deal. That's not the case at this point - but my only concern overall.

Current Tank Info: 70g Shallow Reef [Home]; 15g Starfire Cube [Office]
KMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/25/2011, 11:45 AM   #53
collie man
Stoney Reefer

so what would you do in my situation? i have a 10x7 footprint where my skimmer can go. i also have a fairly heavy bioload.

Unread 06/25/2011, 01:06 PM   #54
KMP
Wag More; Bark Less

Quote:
so what would you do in my situation? i have a 10x7 footprint where my skimmer can go. i also have a fairly heavy bioload.

SC150 footprint is 9.5" L x 8.5" W x 18.5" H - so that won't work. SC65 is 4.25" L x 7" W x 17" H - which will work, but is rated at the top of your water volume.

What would I do; research other skimmers, then balance cost v. expectations. At $80 for the SC65 - I'm pretty sure I would give the SC65 a sporting chance.

Unread 06/25/2011, 02:32 PM   #55
Marlboro Zoa
Registered Member

Sorry, didn't mean to deviate from the thread. I was inspired to buy the SC 65 after reading the reviews in here of the SC 150. I can post pictures of it or any detailed measurements if anybody would like. I will be running this on my 46 gallon bowfront so it is appropriate for me.

Current Tank Info: 46 gallon bowfront seaclear acrylic
Marlboro Zoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/25/2011, 04:16 PM   #56
KMP
Wag More; Bark Less

I think it would be neat to see info on yours inthis thread too, but would defer to the original poster to make sure he's cool with that.

Unread 06/25/2011, 05:55 PM   #57
allsps40
Registered Member

Quote:
i have the cadlights cube so about 50 gallon display with another 15 for the sump. so 65 total... would this skimmer be a good decision for an sps dominated tank?
Yes it would be a good skimmer for you size tank. But it wont fit in you sump area. Go with the SC65.

Current Tank Info: Past reef tanks: 20H softy, 29G mixed reef, 55G mixed reef, 40B sps dominant mixed reef and 75G sps dominant mixed reef. No tank currently
allsps40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/25/2011, 05:58 PM   #58
allsps40
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMP View Post
Yes, the SC65 skimmer is a different skimmer than the SC150 which spurred the review.

Update: Got a response from the seller with a couple reasonable options to resolve the problem. I had an additonal question so just waiting to hear back from them. On a scale of 1 - 10; bump it up to an 8. There is no doubt the seller wants to do the right thing. My only concern, when you pay for something with free shipping; then by no fault of your own you have to ship it back at your expense - then it now becomes not as good of a deal. That's not the case at this point - but my only concern overall.
Glad to here the seller go back to you, IMO they should send you another one with a prepaid UPS label so you can ship the broken one back.

Current Tank Info: Past reef tanks: 20H softy, 29G mixed reef, 55G mixed reef, 40B sps dominant mixed reef and 75G sps dominant mixed reef. No tank currently
Unread 06/25/2011, 06:06 PM   #59
allsps40
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlboro Zoa View Post
Sorry, didn't mean to deviate from the thread. I was inspired to buy the SC 65 after reading the reviews in here of the SC 150. I can post pictures of it or any detailed measurements if anybody would like. I will be running this on my 46 gallon bowfront so it is appropriate for me.
Please do share, this thread is open to any SC skimmer reviews. I am interested to see the SC65 in action. Glad to see that others have gotten this skimmer and are giving it a chance. I am very pleased with mine, best skimmer for the price and compares to others 2-3 times the price. I want to see how my SC150 will do on a larger tank with a heavier bio load, mine is too light for it. But that meand I can feed more

Unread 06/25/2011, 07:12 PM   #60
allsps40
Registered Member

Skim pics

nog anyone?

mmmmmm

Unread 06/25/2011, 10:51 PM   #61
Marlboro Zoa
Registered Member

Thanks for letting me share my input on the SC 65. Here are some pics I took of it. I only ran it in a sink of freshwater so far to make sure nothing was broke, but it will be a while before I finish my new stand and sump and get to test it in the tank. Overall, I am very impressed with the product, I got it for $70 on ebay, and it has since went up in price to $80.

Front view. 4" wide.

Side view. 6.5" long, but will need a little more room in the skimmer otherwise the inlet on the left will be blocked.

Overall skimmer height is 17". To remove either the lid or skimmer cup takes an aditional inch, so 18" needed.

Skimmer body dismantled as far as it goes.

Skimmer cup and lid. The lid has a centering groove around the perimeter and it sits ontop of the cup by gravity alone. The skimmer cup makes a water tight seal with the skimmer body with this ribbed gasket. It's a tight fit but I prefer it over anything that has to be screwed.

The drain pipe and T of the skimmer. Twisting the pipe serves to adjust the height of the water in the skimmer chamber.

The needle wheel pump and venturi. The pump is an Atman PH-1100. What is interesting though is that the label on it states 28W and 1380l/h, which seems a bit high! Also, it seems like some people are getting extra pieces with there skimmer, for me it was an extra 3/4" threaded to 3/4" barbed fitting (Not pictured)

A nice detail of the venturi is that insead of the air being pulled into the water stream at one point where the air tube enters, the air instead is pulled into the circumference of the water stream by design of a tube-within-a-tube for lack of a better word. Also of note, this isn't your standard airline tubbing. Besides being very thick and rubbery, it has a larger inside diameter than standard airline tubbing. Some burrs remain inside the venturi, a byproduct of drilling and I need to revome them later.

Last edited by Marlboro Zoa; 06/25/2011 at 11:39 PM.
Unread 06/25/2011, 11:00 PM   #62
allsps40
Registered Member

Cool, pretty much a mini version of the 150. I also like the lid seal design.

Unread 06/25/2011, 11:55 PM   #63
Marlboro Zoa
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allsps40 View Post
Cool, pretty much a mini version of the 150. I also like the lid seal design.
Thanks. Out of curiosity though, how many watts does the label of your atman 2000 on your skimmer say it uses? I'm confused at why my atman 1100 is 28 watts, when the replacement pump from here: http://socaltropicalfishoutlet.com/c...2ptmc0st0td9h1 is 8 watts, and the only other 120V ones I can find with google are 15 watts...

Unread 06/26/2011, 12:06 AM   #64
reefermad619
Registered Member

The atman 2500 on my bubble magus pulls 28watts per my Kilo-watt.

reefermad619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/26/2011, 12:13 AM   #65
Marlboro Zoa
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefermad619 View Post
The atman 2500 on my bubble magus pulls 28watts per my Kilo-watt.
Is that the same one as this, which is supposed to draw 54watts? http://socaltropicalfishoutlet.com/c...2ptmc0st0td9h1

Does the label on your atman 2500 say 54 watt, or are there a bunch of variations on how many watts each atman pump model # is designed to draw ?

Do I have the most powerful atman 1100 in history or what ??

Unread 06/26/2011, 12:22 AM   #66
reefermad619
Registered Member

That's the one. Look at what this link says about power consumption... http://www.saltycritter.com/protein-...in-skimmer.htm

On the atman 2500

Unread 06/26/2011, 12:31 AM   #67
Marlboro Zoa
Registered Member

Quote:
That's the one. Look at what this link says about power consumption... http://www.saltycritter.com/protein-...in-skimmer.htm

On the atman 2500
So I take it that the wattage printed on the labels of the atmans is an inflated number, and in practice, they consume alot less wattage and the retailers of replacement pumps may choose to use the advertised wattage or a real-world usage number? Well thats a headache!

Unread 06/26/2011, 12:35 AM   #68
reefermad619
Registered Member

I'll check what the wattage says on my pump and post in the morning.

Unread 06/26/2011, 08:03 AM   #69
collie man
Stoney Reefer

does anybody have am exact measurement of the SC150? im trying to see if i can modify my sump a hair. would anyone think it would be worth it to try and shave a few centimeters of the edges of the skimmer. there looks to be a little wiggle room with the skimmer mount and the actual body of the skimmer. widthxdepthxheight

Unread 06/26/2011, 08:23 AM   #70
EllieSuz
Premium Member

I cannot find the SC 150 on eBay, although I had one on my watch list a week ago. I couldn't bring myself to buying it then without knowing anything about it. Now that I've read these reviews, I'm ready to spring for it and it's not there anymore. Can anyone share the Seller's screen name so I can drop him a line? Thanks.

Eileen

Current Tank Info: I'm out of the hobby, but used to have a60 gal. reef, refugium in sump, Internal Mag 9 return, SC 302 skimmer, two Maxi-Jet 1200's modded, four bulb T5 Lighting, Reefkeeper Lite Controller with three PC4's, Little Fishes GFO reactor.
EllieSuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/26/2011, 08:56 AM   #71
collie man
Stoney Reefer

try tryping sc aquariums sc150 protein skimmer on ebay. thats what i did.

Unread 06/26/2011, 10:55 AM   #72
KMP
Wag More; Bark Less

The seller told me he was sold out of the SC150 yesterday when he sent me an email regarding replacing my broke skimmer. I'm sure they'll be on eBay as soon as the come in. Same seller that's selling the SC65.

Unread 06/26/2011, 02:31 PM   #73
allsps40
Registered Member

SC150 footprint is 9.5" L x 8.5" W x 18.5" H.

Unread 06/27/2011, 01:46 PM   #74
reefermad619
Registered Member

Quote:
I'll check what the wattage says on my pump and post in the morning.
I guess I'm a liar!

Unread 06/27/2011, 03:02 PM   #75
jhawksoon
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllieSuz View Post
I cannot find the SC 150 on eBay, although I had one on my watch list a week ago. I couldn't bring myself to buying it then without knowing anything about it. Now that I've read these reviews, I'm ready to spring for it and it's not there anymore. Can anyone share the Seller's screen name so I can drop him a line? Thanks.
I sent the seller a message about a week ago because I couldn't find any available on ebay. If you go to the seller's store, they have a 150 available, but it is in the same style as the 65 (square base). Here is the message I got back from the seller, "that one is currently out of stock. but I still have one that has a 1 inch crack around bottom body. I can do $80 shipped. The skimmer is still 100% function and it is 100% new (just the crack so I put on the side). Please let me know what you think." After some of the posts in here, sounds like they have a lot of shipping problems. It doesn't quite make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside when they are trying to sell me a cracked body saying that it is 100% functional.

jhawksoon is offline   Reply With Quote