Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/08/2011, 01:16 PM   #151
coolsurf
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondoggy4 View Post
coolsurf is that including shipping?
Yes, that includes everything. I would have gladly offered the $70.00 but figured, what the hey, let's try it. Glad I did.

coolsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/09/2011, 03:48 PM   #152
WTyson
Registered Member

Does anyone have more pics of the external pump version of the 150, I have the other one but I may want to switch, also for those who moded their collection cup with a drain, how did you do it?

WTyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/09/2011, 05:03 PM   #153
d0ughb0y
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason2459 View Post
It's interesting to look at the OP's picture of the SC150 with the pump inside the cone.

vs.

Using the outpipe as a reference it looks like having the pump in the body style cuts down on some of contact time before it hits the neck which could be why it comes with the smaller 2000 pump. Plus the sc150 I got has a drain line in the skimmer cup.

good analysis. so in essence, the external pump model is better due to longer contact time, and easier maintenance since you don't have to take it out of the body to clean the impeller.

when you make an offer, do you wait till the listing ends before you know if you will get it or not?

d0ughb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/09/2011, 05:42 PM   #154
jason2459
Registered Member

Just make the offer at any time and you should get a reply from the seller if the will accept or not. This guy has been pretty quick but I think EBay has a cutoff time of 48 hours and if you haven't heard back by that time then the offer is done.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

You can check out my parameters at reeftronics dot net website and look for my username.

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed reef w/ a beananimal overflow to a dolomite RRUGF. | 20g long G. Smithii Mantis Tank
jason2459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/09/2011, 05:43 PM   #155
jason2459
Registered Member

I'll have to take some measurements later to the person asking for them. Hopefully tonight.

You can check out my parameters at reeftronics dot net website and look for my username.

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed reef w/ a beananimal overflow to a dolomite RRUGF. | 20g long G. Smithii Mantis Tank
Unread 07/09/2011, 11:50 PM   #156
Glazner
Registered Member

just received my 150. It looks like the 2nd picture dOughbOy posted. Mine does not have a drain line from the collection cup.

Glazner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/10/2011, 10:42 AM   #157
jason2459
Registered Member

I took some measurements. Entire height from bottom of pump housing to top of cone is about 23.25". Width including exit pipe is 10"x8".(actually slightly under but I wouldn't push it) Cone base is 6" and cone height to top of neck is about 16.5". From top of bubble plate to top of neck is about 13.5".

Unread 07/10/2011, 10:52 AM   #158
jason2459
Registered Member

Trying out the bb hy2000 pump I had on my HOB. Had to make a 3/4" fitting for it. It was either that or make the bottom hole bigger. I used a 1" threaded pvc cap and a 3/4" barb cap. I drilled out a hole in each. Pictures aren't that great but shows what I did.

Its running now and creating a massive amount of bubbles. I'll let this settle in and get some pictures later.

Last edited by jason2459; 07/10/2011 at 11:20 AM.
Unread 07/10/2011, 11:05 AM   #159
d0ughb0y
Registered Member

Thanks for the measurements. I don't have enough height in my sump. I made an offer for the sc 65. If it turns out too small to handle my 60 cube load, I can always keep it as a backup skimmer. Offer still has 24 hours to go before it expires. Does the seller decline the offer or just let the offer expire?

Unread 07/10/2011, 11:08 AM   #160
Glazner
Registered Member

he sent me a decline on my first offer. You may know this but I didn't, you can only make three offers.

Unread 07/10/2011, 11:18 AM   #161
d0ughb0y
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glazner View Post
he sent me a decline on my first offer. You may know this but I didn't, you can only make three offers.
thanks. no I did not know about the three offer limit.
I made it a little lower since I have to pay CA sales tax.

Unread 07/10/2011, 11:24 AM   #162
Glazner
Registered Member

yep, he declined my three offers and then it would only let me do the buy now price. Not sure if I could make offers again once the auction time expiered...... Had to have a friend make an offer. Also need to be aware that it take about another 1" to remove the lid.

Unread 07/10/2011, 12:31 PM   #163
allsps40
Registered Member

It will be interesting to see how the BB will do on the skimmer. Mine is still rocking and pulling out skim even with the light bio load.

Current Tank Info: Past reef tanks: 20H softy, 29G mixed reef, 55G mixed reef, 40B sps dominant mixed reef and 75G sps dominant mixed reef. No tank currently
allsps40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/10/2011, 03:09 PM   #164
jason2459
Registered Member

I laugh everytime I think about the bb under that thing. If the body was at least 1" bigger width and height I bet it would be perfect. But this just shows how easy it is to play around with just about any pump on this thing. The hy2000 is probably a bit much for it though but the ph2500 is not the upper limit it could handle that's for sure.

Unread 07/10/2011, 06:34 PM   #165
d0ughb0y
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glazner View Post
yep, he declined my three offers and then it would only let me do the buy now price. Not sure if I could make offers again once the auction time expiered...... Had to have a friend make an offer. Also need to be aware that it take about another 1" to remove the lid.
I ended up getting the sc-65 for $59.99+ CA sales tax. I don't think anyone else is offerring so this could sell for 49.99 offer.

Unread 07/14/2011, 09:25 AM   #166
Glazner
Registered Member

leave it to me to screw something up this simple.... But I just set up my skimmer and not getting any bubbles..... When I twist the blue PVC it does change the water height. At max the water is very low and at off the water will overflow into the collection cup. But just water no bubbles. It appears the air inlet hose has water in it and not allowing air to be sucked in. I blew in it to clear it out and it made bubbles but quickly quit. The blue cup thing that the airline attaches to does not "fit" on the pump. Can you help me figure what I did wrong. Thanks.

Unread 07/14/2011, 09:31 AM   #167
Glazner
Registered Member

ok, so I took the air inlet off an old red sea skimmer, fit nicely into the pump and I can hear hit sucking air.... NOW great bubbles!!!! Just not sure how how that blue "connector" with the airline attached is suppose to connect and seal to the pump.

Unread 07/14/2011, 10:48 AM   #168
allsps40
Registered Member

Best pic I have of the inlet. It should look like this.

Current Tank Info: Past reef tanks: 20H softy, 29G mixed reef, 55G mixed reef, 40B sps dominant mixed reef and 75G sps dominant mixed reef. No tank currently
allsps40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/14/2011, 11:06 AM   #169
Glazner
Registered Member

ok, Thanks. The skimmer they sent me has a different stand. Looks more like the one in post 67 but larger. After looking at your picture and post 67, it looks like there are two kinds of blue "air connectors" One like yours that tapers on one end to fit onto the pump and one with a big opening to fit on the pump like post 67. So it appears I am either missing a piece or they sent the wrong blue air connector. Mine does not have a tapered end like yours to fit onto the pump. the opening is the same size as the cylinder. Looks like on post 67 there is a grey plastic piece that fits on that pump and it uses this larger opening connector.... Thanks for the picture.

Unread 07/14/2011, 12:30 PM   #170
d0ughb0y
Registered Member

I got the smaller model, and I just slip in the air connector to the pump intake. on the larger model, perhaps you can connect the thread-barb adapter and insert the air connector to the barb.

now that I have actually seen the skimmer, I would not recommend this to anyone to use as a full time main skimmer. probably ok for the occasional QT or even frag tank, or just as a back up.

for those with model with pump outside the body, does the plastic stand not touch the bottom when you attach the skimmer body to the pump? on the smaller model, it seems to just be hanging on the connection to the pump, so it is not balanced and is a little tilted. the connection to the pump is not a tight fit also, so its like you position the pump, and the body is just sitting on top of the pump output.

Unread 07/14/2011, 12:35 PM   #171
d0ughb0y
Registered Member

can you tell me if the side panels of the skimmer body stand touches the towel in your picture? on mine, the body pretty much just sits on top of the pump, and the side panels do not touch the base, its like they are not long enough or the pump is too high. so the skimmer body ends up tilted and actually moves around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlboro Zoa View Post
Thanks for letting me share my input on the SC 65. Here are some pics I took of it. I only ran it in a sink of freshwater so far to make sure nothing was broke, but it will be a while before I finish my new stand and sump and get to test it in the tank. Overall, I am very impressed with the product, I got it for $70 on ebay, and it has since went up in price to $80.

Unread 07/14/2011, 12:44 PM   #172
d0ughb0y
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlboro Zoa View Post
The needle wheel pump and venturi. The pump is an Atman PH-1100. What is interesting though is that the label on it states 28W and 1380l/h, which seems a bit high! Also, it seems like some people are getting extra pieces with there skimmer, for me it was an extra 3/4" threaded to 3/4" barbed fitting (Not pictured)

I got that extra thread to barb adapter as well.

so when you assembled yours, did you attach the pump base (with the suction cup) to the pump? when I do that, the skimmer body ends up high and the side panel does not touch the bottom surface.

is your connection from body to the pump a tight fit? i.e. can you carry the skimmer around without the pump falling off? mine is not tight, not exactly loose, but it is not tight enough to be able to carry the skimmer on the body without the pump falling off.

Unread 07/14/2011, 01:14 PM   #173
Glazner
Registered Member

I have the same style as you but the 150. I am having just the opposit issue. The side legs are longer and the pump will not stay attached to the skimmer. I had enough room to slide a frag disk beneath the pump. Otherwise I was getting micro bubbles coming out of the bottom.... I think the other design may be better? Also with the pump not being connected securely, the bubble height changes dramatically as the pump moves around, like every time I remove the collection cup. Hopefully my makshift shim will keep it steady. I don't like having to rigg a new piece of equipment. However it was and is cheap. I have it on a frag tank with only a couple of fish... will report on the skim tomorrow.

Unread 07/14/2011, 01:17 PM   #174
Glazner
Registered Member

no suction cups with my skimmer. That may be why I have so much room. And no the pump does not fit tight to the skimmer.

Unread 07/14/2011, 01:26 PM   #175
Glazner
Registered Member

ok, my bad. I do have suction cups. Placed the suction cups on the bottom of the pump and now I have the same issue as you. The pump is sligtly taller than the legs. This causes the skimmer to have a slight wobble.....