Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/21/2017, 06:41 PM   #1
Scott07
Registered Member

Red Slime Remover

I dosed this in my 65 yesterday. It's been around 28 hours or so. Cyano is better, but not gone. SPS is doing poorly. This morning i noted lightening of one coral, but now all of my SPS are loosing color, and I believe at least one has started to RTN/STN.

What the heck should I do? Am I overreacting and uber sensitive to my corals? Should I wait out the rest of the 48 hours? Or should i start water changes and carbon ASAP?

Unread 11/21/2017, 06:57 PM   #2
Volcmreefer
Registered Member

Hard to tell. Stupid question but I am assuming that you dosed per the directions, correct? I think you usually do a water change after dosing Red Slime, so if you are done with the process then do one per the instructions.

Volcmreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/21/2017, 07:04 PM   #3
Scott07
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcmreefer View Post
Hard to tell. Stupid question but I am assuming that you dosed per the directions, correct? I think you usually do a water change after dosing Red Slime, so if you are done with the process then do one per the instructions.
Yes, i under-dosed if anything. I added 4 level spoons, and the directions state 1 per 15 gal. The instructions specifically state no water change is necessary. But of course they also state its completely reef safe.... and I'm thinking I disagree with that lol.

Unread 11/21/2017, 07:13 PM   #4
ReefMaster48
Registered Member

Are we talking Chemiclean here?

ReefMaster48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/21/2017, 07:15 PM   #5
Scott07
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefMaster48 View Post
Are we talking Chemiclean here?
Yes, i believe it's the same or similar, but the actual product i used is Red Sea Red Slime Remover.

Unread 11/21/2017, 07:22 PM   #6
ReefMaster48
Registered Member

I don't believe they are similar. The Red Slime Remover is by ultralife I think, and Chemiclean is by Boyds. I can only speak for Chemiclean, and it did not disturb any of my inhabitants. And it did require a WC afterwards. I also used the liquid version.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but 99% positive they are different.

Unread 11/21/2017, 07:23 PM   #7
ReefMaster48
Registered Member

I know that may not be helpful at the moment, but it may help with research and other users experience of Red Slime Remover rather then Chemiclean.

Unread 11/21/2017, 07:27 PM   #8
Scott07
Registered Member

WC afterwards is definitely happening whether the directions call for it or not lol..... water is mixing now. I'm just not sure if the damage is done, if i can prevent further damage somehow, or if things won't look so bad after the treatment is complete. I understood going in my corals may be unhappy for a day or two.... but I'm really hoping now that i don't loose too much.

Unread 11/21/2017, 07:37 PM   #9
ReefMaster48
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott07 View Post
WC afterwards is definitely happening whether the directions call for it or not lol..... water is mixing now. I'm just not sure if the damage is done, if i can prevent further damage somehow, or if things won't look so bad after the treatment is complete. I understood going in my corals may be unhappy for a day or two.... but I'm really hoping now that i don't loose too much.
+1

Not that you would want to test it, but I would be interested if the Red Slime harms SPS but Chemiclean doesn't. Hopefully your corals come back and are just a little POed at ya. Keep us up to date!

Unread 11/21/2017, 07:49 PM   #10
billdogg
Registered Member

Problems like this is why I always advocate for going after the cause rather than putting a bandaid on the symptom. Cyanobacteria is caused by poor flow and excess nutrients. Take care of them and the Cyanobacteria will go away on its own.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/21/2017, 08:19 PM   #11
Scott07
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdogg View Post
Problems like this is why I always advocate for going after the cause rather than putting a bandaid on the symptom. Cyanobacteria is caused by poor flow and excess nutrients. Take care of them and the Cyanobacteria will go away on its own.
I hear ya there and I generally agree. I do believe this cyano would have run its course on its own eventually. But, in the several months that i tried, it proved very stubborn. It was a weird lime green, almost dust like variety that I thought was algae up until a couple of days ago. Do i regret the decision now, yes I think so. But I did what i thought was right at the time. This product has worked for me in other tanks before.

Unread 11/22/2017, 09:58 AM   #12
Scott07
Registered Member

Morning update...... things are not faring well. At least one mini colony is toast. I can still see the polyps and tissue are there, but all zooxanthellae has bailed out leaving just the white tissue. A coupe of other smaller frags look similar. My huge rainbow stylo has lost tissue in a spotty fashion all over. Several, if not all other SPS have severely lost color. It looks like in a few days ill be tossing some things, and trying to rehabilitate others for a while to come.

The cyano..... the original problem..... is still present in small quantities. Really feels like a cruel joke.

I did a 15 gallon WC this morning first thing. Replaced carbon last night. Have water mixing for another WC this afternoon. Ugh....... I'm just at a loss.... I feel so bad that i did this....

Unread 11/22/2017, 10:05 AM   #13
ReeferNoob4ever
Registered Member

I have to chime in here because I have used Red Slime Remover for years with 100% success. There is no need to do a water change with Red Slime Remover. There are two doses allowed within a 48 hr period (if I remember correctly) and I always dose max and add an airstone. I have montiporas and birds nests along with many other lps and even softies. I have never had adverse side effects from the product and it's always destroyed the cyano. I would venture out on a limb here and say your issues are beyond Red Slime Remover. The caveat here being that you didn't just have a massive amount of cyano and straight dose it. All that dying bacteria can wreck havoc on a reef system.

Current Tank Info: 20gL mixed reef, 10g mixed reef w/nem & clown, 5g NPS & harlequin
ReeferNoob4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2017, 10:12 AM   #14
Scott07
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReeferNoob4ever View Post
I have to chime in here because I have used Red Slime Remover for years with 100% success. There is no need to do a water change with Red Slime Remover. There are two doses allowed within a 48 hr period (if I remember correctly) and I always dose max and add an airstone. I have montiporas and birds nests along with many other lps and even softies. I have never had adverse side effects from the product and it's always destroyed the cyano. I would venture out on a limb here and say your issues are beyond Red Slime Remover. The caveat here being that you didn't just have a massive amount of cyano and straight dose it. All that dying bacteria can wreck havoc on a reef system.
Sure, I'll agree my issues were probably beyond the red slime remover. But I'll tell you what i do know..... 2 days ago ALL of my SPS had nice dark color and was growing. Now some of it is dead, and others are on the fence.

I've had the red typical cyano before and know all about that. This was not that. This was lime green, did not form nice easily removable sheets like the red does, and while there was a decent amount.... by volume i believe there was substantially less than in outbreaks of the red that I've successfully treated before. At this point I'm assuming the green cyano was in some way more toxic than other varieties when i killed it.

Unread 11/22/2017, 10:42 AM   #15
Knighthawk
Registered Member

Do you have a skimmer? If so did you take the cup of and leave it running? Or did you add an air stone if you don’t have a skimmer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Knighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2017, 10:54 AM   #16
Scott07
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knighthawk View Post
Do you have a skimmer? If so did you take the cup of and leave it running? Or did you add an air stone if you don’t have a skimmer?

I have a bubble magus NAC 5.5 that i left running through the entire process. I pulled the plug on the cup drain tube and just let it overflow. The sump was/is full of bubbles which aren't making it to the display due to baffles. Just an hour or so ago I let my skimmer pull a gallon of its overflow skimmate into a jug. It's slightly more milky than the tank water is, so i discarded it.

Unread 11/22/2017, 11:06 AM   #17
Knighthawk
Registered Member

Ok wasn’t sure if you kept the skimmer going. That was my only thought.

Knighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2017, 11:21 AM   #18
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Interesting...
There always seem to be a few that have problems with it but far more seem to report great results..

I've used it quite a few times and never had any "side effects" from it..

I'm curious now... But I also want to know how many licks it takes to get to the tootsie roll center of a tootsie pop..

Unread 11/22/2017, 11:41 AM   #19
Scott07
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
Interesting...
There always seem to be a few that have problems with it but far more seem to report great results..

I'm curious now... But I also want to know how many licks it takes to get to the tootsie roll center of a tootsie pop..
Yep I agree, im curious as to why also. There's something different that occurred here but I'm not sure what. I can say.... my birds nest (two different types), and all other LPS etc...seem ok. All fish and inverts are fine and accounted for. It seems to be the SPS with more defined corallites that took the most damage.

Unread 11/22/2017, 12:53 PM   #20
ReefMaster48
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
Interesting...

I wonder if it didn't have anything to do with the chemical, but the algae instead. Maybe when it died, it released a toxin. Seems like the green cyano was very different and weird, so maybe it effected the tank in the same way.