Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/16/2017, 10:42 AM   #51
Raoul5Duke
Registered Member

I decided to give this a try starting last night. I have been battling dinos for the last year, with little success. Everything else in my tank is doing great. I recently replaced all RO/DI filters, tested for silicates, did massive water changes, added extra snails and a couple of diamond watchman gobies, done lights out, etc. but still don't seem to be making progress. Hopefully this at least knocks them back.

Raoul5Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2017, 10:44 AM   #52
jason2459
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raoul5Duke View Post
I decided to give this a try starting last night. I have been battling dinos for the last year, with little success. Everything else in my tank is doing great. I recently replaced all RO/DI filters, tested for silicates, did massive water changes, added extra snails and a couple of diamond watchman gobies, done lights out, etc. but still don't seem to be making progress. Hopefully this at least knocks them back.
dinoflagellates and diatoms are totally different.

You can check out my parameters at reeftronics dot net website and look for my username.

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed reef w/ a beananimal overflow to a dolomite RRUGF. | 20g long G. Smithii Mantis Tank
jason2459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2017, 11:49 AM   #53
Lowefx
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raoul5Duke View Post
I read somewhere that you won't see any difference until day 3 or 4

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Lowefx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2017, 12:56 PM   #54
Raoul5Duke
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason2459 View Post
dinoflagellates and diatoms are totally different.
It was a typo....

Unread 02/20/2017, 10:01 AM   #55
Raoul5Duke
Registered Member

Well, I dosed 1/4 of a teaspoon on my approx 400 gallon system every other day starting on 2/15. After the second dose I would say 90% of the diatoms had receded but I decided to do one additional dose last night. I know the gobies have been helpful churning the substrate this week but I really believe the yeast helped tremendously. I am interested to see if this is a long term solution as I recently replaced or tested every thing I could think of that was the source. I don't know if the science behind this makes sense but after exhausting all other solutions I am glad Matt started this thread. Thanks.

Unread 02/20/2017, 08:08 PM   #56
enveetie
Registered Member

I wonder how much longer until we see yeast packets on MD or BRS (if at all). I suppose that's when you'll know there's a solution to be had. I like to think of the mad scientists cooking up yeast batches in labs somewhere while following along to this thread and others.

enveetie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2017, 08:42 PM   #57
Salty150
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enveetie View Post
I wonder how much longer until we see yeast packets on MD or BRS (if at all). I suppose that's when you'll know there's a solution to be had. I like to think of the mad scientists cooking up yeast batches in labs somewhere while following along to this thread and others.
Hey, if it works...

Salty150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2017, 11:05 PM   #58
enveetie
Registered Member

I'm not saying it doesn't, I would be tempted to try if I couldn't manage a crazy diatom situation. I'm interested in reading about the science behind it though.

enveetie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2017, 08:51 AM   #59
Raoul5Duke
Registered Member

It's been a week and the diatoms have not returned. I did notice that my MG has gotten low, but I think that is due to some issues I was having with my ATO.

Unread 08/08/2017, 07:37 AM   #60
SailAnnapolis
Registered Member

Anyone have an update on this? I also can't tell if I have a Dino or a diatom outbreak. I cannot seem to be able to upload a pic

120 Gallon 48x24x24 rimless

Current Tank Info: 120 Gallon rimless from Planet Aquarium, external built-in overflow, S-200 Eshopps 200gal cone skimmer, Pacific Sun LED's, two phosban reactors for carbon and rowaphos
SailAnnapolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/08/2017, 07:44 AM   #61
Lowefx
Registered Member

It did not work for my dinos.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last edited by Lowefx; 08/08/2017 at 03:40 PM.
Lowefx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2017, 09:10 AM   #62
acropora
Registered Member

Has anyone who tried this seen any negative effect on their fish

Last edited by acropora; 10/16/2017 at 11:52 PM.
acropora is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/20/2017, 02:53 PM   #63
ReefKeeper64
Wanna be a reefkeeper

What is the verdict?

ReefKeeper64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/20/2017, 07:04 PM   #64
acropora
Registered Member

Updating , I have used this method on two tanks and it worked very well. No issues with corals or fish. Interesting enough I believe it may be the size of the micro pellets of yeast that attach to the diatoms. In another case of diatoms in a new set up, I moved some new sand around and it created a sand storm clouding the water for hours. When the dust settled the distoms also began to subside and die off.

Current Tank Info: 350 Reef Tank, 4 x Kessil AP 700's
Unread 11/20/2017, 08:45 PM   #65
ReefKeeper64
Wanna be a reefkeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by acropora View Post
Updating , I have used this method on two tanks and it worked very well. No issues with corals or fish. Interesting enough I believe it may be the size of the micro pellets of yeast that attach to the diatoms. In another case of diatoms in a new set up, I moved some new sand around and it created a sand storm clouding the water for hours. When the dust settled the distoms also began to subside and die off.
Acropora, Thanks for sharing your results. Would you mind looking over what I'm doing and let me know if I missed anything?

- Gallons: 160 gal total water volume.

- Product: Fleischmann's Rapid Rise Instant Yeast fast acting. Same as what is referenced in the vivid aquariums video.

- Ratio: Vivid aquariums video calls for 1/4 tsp per 400 gallons. I went with 1/8 tsp. That would be slightly over the ratio called for its difficult to measure to that minute level.

- Premixing: Added 1/8 tsp to 1 cup of tank water. Mixed it with a plastic spoon for a minute or so and then added it directly to the display tank all at once. The tank cleared up in a couple of minutes.

Tonight is day 0 so we'll see how it goes.

Thanks

Unread 11/20/2017, 10:46 PM   #66
acropora
Registered Member

Reefkeeper64 yes that’s the right amount. Three doses , day 1, 3 & 5. If you use filter socks the yeast will get trapped there as well as in your protein skimmer.

Current Tank Info: 350 Reef Tank, 4 x Kessil AP 700's
Unread 11/21/2017, 06:40 PM   #67
ReefKeeper64
Wanna be a reefkeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by acropora View Post
Reefkeeper64 yes that’s the right amount. Three doses , day 1, 3 & 5. If you use filter socks the yeast will get trapped there as well as in your protein skimmer.
Thanks for the reminders. I'll remove the filter socks now and turn off the skimmer for the remainder of the treatment.

DAY 1

Unread 11/22/2017, 11:25 AM   #68
ReefKeeper64
Wanna be a reefkeeper

I heard from another reefer over at RtwoR that what I have isn't diatoms but rather lyngbya. Its a form of cyanobacteria.

Unread 11/22/2017, 12:51 PM   #69
greengeco82
Reefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowefx View Post
Because it was time for a water change, and it will help rid the diatoms. But after 2 days I still show little signs of diatoms again. You should try your own experiment rather than trolling me. I will continue my dosing for only a few more days because I'm going on vacation in a month, and I want my tank completely stabilized before I go. As of this time, I am not noticing any changes. I am also running a ulns Zeovit system which may play a factor. Good luck, and let us know what you find out.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
You wernt trolled. You just ruined the experiment that you decided to share. You might as well just stir the sand while your in there.

Current Tank Info: 190 gallon DSA mixed reef, 2 X 250W metal halides, 2 X 80w T5's, SRO 3000 skimmer, and a few other goodies under the hood
greengeco82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/07/2018, 12:52 PM   #70
Fringe09
Registered Member

Does anyone know if using yeast will have a negative effect on Chaeto?

Fringe09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/29/2018, 06:20 PM   #71
bohannbj
Gone Fishin'

Not scientific at all but I brew my own beer and wine. I tossed a little of the yeast, pinot noir, from a fermented batch in for kicks and it just made the water cloudy on and off for a month or so. It would go from a little cloudy to perfectly clear in cycles of about a week. No issues with it anymore and nobody was hurt by it. I will say that the system is 550 gallons and the amount of yeast was about a cup.

Current Tank Info: 270+180 + 75= 525 & 65 + 15= 80
bohannbj is offline   Reply With Quote