Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/02/2011, 11:22 AM   #1
d2mini
Registered Member

RO/DI Maintenance

I have a filterguys 5 stage filter and it's severely dropping in water production. Even with all brand new filter elements. When replacing the canisters and starting back up, it's taking several minutes just to get water to finally fill the 3rd stage canister. Other than removing the canisters, is there any other kind of maintenance that can be done to speed things back up? My water pressure gauge on the unit either hasn't worked in a while, or it's picking up on whatever is wrong with this unit. My home's water pressure has not changed. Today I noticed it's not putting out any water at all, but the canisters are filling up slowly. Seems like there might be a clog somewhere or something.
Any ideas?

Elos Diamond 120xl | Elos Stand | Radion G4 Pros | GHL Profilux Controller | LifeReef Skimmer | LifeReef Sump
Photos taken with a Nikon D750 or Leica M.
d2mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/02/2011, 11:53 AM   #2
d2mini
Registered Member

Hmmm... i removed the membrane from the 4th stage canister that sits on top, looked down inside and there are two irregular shaped holes at the bottom. I wonder if there are pieces stuck inside, gumming up the works. Can that canister be bought locally? The membrane itself is pretty new.

Elos Diamond 120xl | Elos Stand | Radion G4 Pros | GHL Profilux Controller | LifeReef Skimmer | LifeReef Sump
Photos taken with a Nikon D750 or Leica M.
d2mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/03/2011, 12:25 PM   #3
oscar.millan
Registered Member

The water pressure gauge, what dose it read? It sounds like you're blockage is there.

What makes you suspect that the gauge is broken? If the answer is that the pressure has dropped that might be what's make it hard to troubleshoot. Is it possible that the gauge is in fact working and the pressure has dropped?

Any other info?

-Tesla

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed reef, 90g rimless cube.
oscar.millan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/03/2011, 12:53 PM   #4
Buckeye Hydro
.Registered Member

What does the pressure gauge read?

Those holes you see - the one that is dead center in the center of the tube is the purified water exit port. The other is the waste water port.

When membranes go bad, you'll see poorer performance in terms of reducing tap water TDS, and or slowed production.

Russ

Buckeye Hydro is offline   Reply With Quote