Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/20/2018, 10:00 AM   #1
FiveGallonSea
Registered Member

Trying to understand the demise of my euphyllia. Pictures.

Hey reefers,

Truly puzzled here. I started a 91 gallon (Red Sea Reefer 350) May of last year and packed it with euphyllia which is my favorite coral. This tank was absolutlely beautiful and thriving as you see below with enormous extension throughout the day of all my corals. It's like a switch flipped and one by one all my LPS started shrinking back into their skeleton and dying. I've lost everything in the picture below. Hundreds of dollars.

I've purchased some more frogspawn and torches and they are doing ok, but I don't get any kind of extension throughout the day or anything like I did before. No major changes happened here.

The only slight change I can think of is that I was doing a lot of water changes initially thinking that's the only way I can keep good water, but I now slowed it down to every 2-3 weeks because my parameters are all in check. Salinity is 1.026.

Never checked mag or calcium. I just ordered Salifert tests today to try and understand what happened here?

Imagine my disappointment when literally all the euphyllia I had below is gone now...

FiveGallonSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2018, 02:14 PM   #2
kichimark
Μολὼν λαβέ

Sorry about the loss. I too love Euphyllia corals.

I know from before that my corals did not like the temp swings and they would not have the same polyp extension during the warmer periods.

It is a great idea to test for the Ca and Mg but in the system you have it would not appear those elements would be dropping fast since you only had a few pieces.

Have you considered the lighting? I know mine like a lower intensity light. Were your corals bleaching before they started to shrink?

kichimark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2018, 03:07 PM   #3
rvareef
In Memoriam

tank looks too clean/new for wild lps frags, also see some coral nippers in there too, post your parameters when you get a chance

rvareef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2018, 07:38 PM   #4
Randyz
Registered Member

Probably has to do with either your alk or the angel

Randyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2018, 08:54 PM   #5
lionfish300
Registered Member

I would keep an eye on the angel fish

lionfish300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/23/2018, 07:50 AM   #6
FiveGallonSea
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionfish300 View Post
I would keep an eye on the angel fish
I think you guys cursed my angel fish. He showed up dead after absolutely no signs of sickness.

Which angel would you say is more of a worry? I have a Potter's and wanted to replace my Flame.

FiveGallonSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/23/2018, 08:17 AM   #7
rvareef
In Memoriam

stay away from the angels and more difficult corals till your tank matures, once you have some large coral colonies growing, then you can ad some coral nippers, but the mix of unstable parameters and coral nipping can kill your frags

rvareef is offline   Reply With Quote