Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/07/2018, 11:21 AM   #1
blackbeard88
Registered Member

Tank not cycling?

Hello. I am new to this hobby so please stick with me here. I purchased Dr. Tims One and Only to add bacteria to my tank so the cycle wouldn't take as long. I added them on Sunday and then added ammonia the following day. I've been measuring it all week and I know this stuff takes time, but shouldn't the bacteria have sonsumed the ammonia and produced Nitrite or Nitrate by now? I removed the sponge and filter floss like the bottle said to do. Should I have removed the Seachem Purigen I'm using?

blackbeard88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2018, 11:34 AM   #2
nereefpat
Registered Member

What are your current readings for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate?

What was the ammonia reading after you added it? We like to shoot for 1-2 ppm.

Two days isn't much time. Expect the process to take a week or two, even with bacterial additives.

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2018, 11:40 AM   #3
lapin
Registered Member

FYI With Dr Tims it took 3 weeks for my nitrites to hit 0.

lapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2018, 11:50 AM   #4
jurgenph
Registered Member

and yes, remove the purigen while cycling.

J.

jurgenph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2018, 01:09 PM   #5
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbeard88 View Post
Hello. I am new to this hobby so please stick with me here. I purchased Dr. Tims One and Only to add bacteria to my tank so the cycle wouldn't take as long. I added them on Sunday and then added ammonia the following day. I've been measuring it all week and I know this stuff takes time, but shouldn't the bacteria have sonsumed the ammonia and produced Nitrite or Nitrate by now? I removed the sponge and filter floss like the bottle said to do. Should I have removed the Seachem Purigen I'm using?
How much ammonia did you add (please respond with a ppm level)? (too much can actually be detrimental (kill) bacteria)
What ppm level of ammonia are you currently measuring?

My understanding is that the potential bacteria in those bottles may actually be in a state of suspension (hibernation) depending on the date in which that bottle was filled..

Seachem has also stated that Purigen should NOT be used while cycling..

And of course a few days is really too short.. Nothing good happens fast in this hobby..
Patience..

Unread 02/07/2018, 08:47 PM   #6
avery155
Registered Member

Keep testing every day or every other day. You will start to see ammonia drop and nitrite rise. Then you will start seeing a rise in nitrate. Just give it time.

avery155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2018, 10:29 PM   #7
JUNBUG361
Registered Member

Let cycle & retest in 3 1/2 weeks

JUNBUG361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2018, 11:03 AM   #8
blackbeard88
Registered Member

Sorry. I was really busy yesterday and didn't have time to get in front of my computer. The readings for ammonia were around 2 ppm and has been like that for the past few days. I tested it when I got home yesterday and it looks like the nitrites are starting to rise. It is my first tank so forgive me if I seem to have panicked. I would like to do everything right the first time and not spend more money than I should.

blackbeard88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2018, 11:14 AM   #9
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Sorry. I was really busy yesterday and didn't have time to get in front of my computer. The readings for ammonia were around 2 ppm and has been like that for the past few days. I tested it when I got home yesterday and it looks like the nitrites are starting to rise. It is my first tank so forgive me if I seem to have panicked. I would like to do everything right the first time and not spend more money than I should.
All sounds good..
Just give it time..

Unread 02/09/2018, 02:02 PM   #10
Thornbreaker
Registered Member

Quote:
I used Dr. Tim's on a 20 gallon QT and it took almost 9 weeks to get rid of the 2ppm ammonia I started with. Not everyone gets the one week cycle :\

So don't worry. It'll get there.

Thornbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2018, 03:59 PM   #11
lapin
Registered Member

I started my tank build in Aug. People have stopped asking when fish will go in. From your test results it looks like the cycle has started.

lapin is offline   Reply With Quote