Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Seahorses & Pipefish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/22/2018, 06:39 PM   #1
billynjennifer
Registered Member

Live Mysis

If I were to add live mysis to a sterile tank of dwarves, would the mysis be okay with a Panacur dip?

billynjennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2018, 09:43 AM   #2
rayjay
Registered Member

Generally, we would add live MYSIDS to a dwarf tank and the nauplii of the mysids would be a welcome addition to the nutrient profile of the dwarfs.
(MYSIS to me is basically more used to denote the freshwater version of the shrimp like we buy in packages of Hikari or PE)

Current Tank Info: Seahorses
rayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2018, 09:44 AM   #3
rayjay
Registered Member

Forgot to mention.
I've never panacured any before adding to the tank.

Unread 08/26/2018, 05:20 PM   #4
seahorsesoca
Registered Member

Not really a need for live mysis

hello everyone,

live mysis is honestly no longer a necessary component of keeping seahorses successfully.

with a great sump the millipods and other organisms, as well as the fact u can does mysis in meds or vitamins if need to frozen, is a great reason.

seahorsesoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/27/2018, 06:58 AM   #5
rayjay
Registered Member

Live mysis (mysisds) have never been a necessity for seahorses but a definite plus to add to the nutrient profile.
Soaking frozen foods in meds or vitamins is NOT as good as gut loading live shrimp as most of what you soak it in is washed off into the water column before it gets eaten.
For normal feeding though, frozen mysis is the acknowledged top food for standard seahorses other than dwarfs.
In this particular case, the OP is talking about DWARF seahorses, and dwarf seahorses will not survive on frozen foods. They need LIVE food.
Very few, if any, dwarfs are in tanks with sumps.
IMO, adding mysids to a dwarf tank is a great move as they are more prolific than most of the pod forms you could also add to the tank, providing nauplii for the dwarfs to feed on.

Unread 09/06/2018, 06:43 PM   #6
billynjennifer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayjay View Post
Live mysis (mysisds) have never been a necessity for seahorses but a definite plus to add to the nutrient profile.
Soaking frozen foods in meds or vitamins is NOT as good as gut loading live shrimp as most of what you soak it in is washed off into the water column before it gets eaten.
For normal feeding though, frozen mysis is the acknowledged top food for standard seahorses other than dwarfs.
In this particular case, the OP is talking about DWARF seahorses, and dwarf seahorses will not survive on frozen foods. They need LIVE food.
Very few, if any, dwarfs are in tanks with sumps.
IMO, adding mysids to a dwarf tank is a great move as they are more prolific than most of the pod forms you could also add to the tank, providing nauplii for the dwarfs to feed on.
I was thinking of adding the live mysid shrimp as a cleanup crew to eat excess brine shrimp. Now, after reading how many brine shrimp just 1 mysid can eat, I realize they may out-compete my dwarfs for the food.

Unread 09/07/2018, 11:44 AM   #7
rayjay
Registered Member

Because of the dwarfs preferences are to sit perched and wait for food to pass by close enough for them to snick it up, you have to add a lot more brine nauplii to make sufficient food available for them. There is plenty left for mysid to feast on.
I've always had to remove the uneaten foods before the next live feeding anyway because the food QUICKLY looses its nutrition.
There are a lot of dwarf tanks with mysids in them and I've not heard of any tank not having sufficient food for both, unless an insufficient amount was added in the first place.

Unread 09/08/2018, 10:07 AM   #8
billynjennifer
Registered Member

I had read that you would have to hatch 30%-35% more brine, but you are the DSH guru. I'll take your advice overall.

Unread 09/08/2018, 10:22 AM   #9
rayjay
Registered Member

I've never seen anything stating any kind of percentage like that. It's merely a case of adding enough to give a good density of nauplii THROUGHOUT the tank.
Amount will vary with size of tank and with numbers of dwarfs in the tank.
There are many dwarf keepers that know more about them than I do. I would know more about standard seahorses as I've been keeping and raising them since about 2002, but still there are newer people in the hobby that have taken the time to learn things I haven't yet managed to learn for myself.