Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/14/2017, 02:14 PM   #9776
Floyd R Turbo
Either busy or sleeping

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothermineral View Post
Thoughts on using a 20W LED flood light that uses multiple lights vs. just one to make the total wattage.

For example, between the following:

https://www.lightingever.com/20w-sup...lights-ww.html

and

https://www.lightingever.com/1600lm-...049-ww-us.html
The first one is part of the product line that 302 Aquatics uses. For that form factor of fixture, it's one of the better quality fixtures. Also it's IP66 so it's a bit better for water intrusion. 120 beam angle, wider is good

The second one looks like it has a diffuser lens. Not sure if that would be good or bad, I'm guessing that's done that way to reduce glare or for a wider dispersion. That one is IP65, 100 beam angle, not sure what the PE wire is. Between these two, I'd use the other one

--> POSTS #3251-64 (Basics), #5206 (Cleaning), #6884 (LEDs), #729
Floyd R Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2017, 02:16 PM   #9777
Floyd R Turbo
Either busy or sleeping

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkgar View Post
Iread somewhere that SPS corals get little additional benefit from more than 6-8 hours of lighting. Do some checking in the SPS corals forum. You might try reducing lighting gradually and see hoe the corals react. My judgement of coral's growth is the uptake of Alk. I use a little over 2 dKH /day.
I recall something about this as well, but I had no reference so I didn't bring it up....

Unread 11/14/2017, 02:22 PM   #9778
anothermineral
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd R Turbo View Post
The first one is part of the product line that 302 Aquatics uses. For that form factor of fixture, it's one of the better quality fixtures. Also it's IP66 so it's a bit better for water intrusion. 120 beam angle, wider is good

The second one looks like it has a diffuser lens. Not sure if that would be good or bad, I'm guessing that's done that way to reduce glare or for a wider dispersion. That one is IP65, 100 beam angle, not sure what the PE wire is. Between these two, I'd use the other one
Thanks for the quick reply. Appreciate it!

Unread 11/14/2017, 02:30 PM   #9779
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd R Turbo View Post
I recall something about this as well, but I had no reference so I didn't bring it up....
I agree, that's why I suggested doing some individual research in the SPS forum.

If you think about the sun in the sky for an average of 12 hours a day, 2-3 hours in the morning and evening are at a small angle to the surface of the ocean with little penetrating light, but I am not a scientist and just thinking at a small angle much of the light bounces off and does not penetrate.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2017, 04:45 PM   #9780
iced98lx
Registered Member

Quote:
Iread somewhere that SPS corals get little additional benefit from more than 6-8 hours of lighting. Do some checking in the SPS corals forum. You might try reducing lighting gradually and see how the corals react. My judgement of coral's growth is the uptake of Alk. I use a little over 2 dKH /day.
My LED's are on 6 hours a day, so I'm right at the bottom. The T5's which are on quite a bit longer are just two 5 foot bulbs over a 180 gallon tank so I can see things in the morning, hardly providing sufficient growing PAR for the over 1/2 way down. I too measure my growth in ALK usage and recently went from relying on an AWC system to dosing to keep up, thus my comment that my current setup is working and using general caution on changing it, no matter what "they" say. I'm only a few years into this hobby and I've lived out the mantra that nothing good happens fast, but I can also personally attest that the wrong "slight tweak" can prove that bad things can happen much faster.

iced98lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2017, 05:29 PM   #9781
Floyd R Turbo
Either busy or sleeping

Thanks for the clarification on the lights - that makes sense now

Unread 11/15/2017, 01:48 PM   #9782
hkgar
Registered Member

Back to the subject of the thread and the light discussion and some new reader doesn't get confused - I keep my ATS lights on 12 hours.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
Unread 11/15/2017, 05:12 PM   #9783
Scrubber_steve
I'm really very likeable

Decided to let my screen go 14 days instead of the usual 7 day scrape.
Pretty happy; got more growth & stayed nice & green with almost no yellow die back.

Interesting growth in that despite the thickness & lushness there's no long strands hanging from the bottom of the screen.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 14 day growth.jpg (105.0 KB, 49 views)

Last edited by Scrubber_steve; 11/16/2017 at 01:03 AM.
Scrubber_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/16/2017, 07:49 AM   #9784
Horace
Registered Member

Ok guys, Help me out there. I have to find a RELIABLE replacement option for my LEDs. I have approx a 7x7 hole cut in either side of my ATS enclosure, and now BOTH of my fixtures are dead. I dont mind building the LEDs if necessary, but I need it to be relieable and reasonable cost. I was considering building something using the Plant growth LED clusters from Led-group-buy (I used the reef version for my tank), but those are NOT cheap. They are about $60/ea just for the LED cluster, then I need to buy drivers etc. That will likely end up costing me $250 easily for two of those. So I am asking what are you guys using??!! I need something low profile.....

These are what I was using (50w grow lamps)

Current Tank Info: New 180g Mixed SPS Build in progress
Horace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/16/2017, 10:27 AM   #9785
Horace
Registered Member

Well i got impatient and bought 2 of these. They are not red, but they look to be a decent option. I chose the Warm White version

Unread 11/16/2017, 12:40 PM   #9786
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horace View Post
Ok guys, Help me out there. I have to find a RELIABLE replacement option for my LEDs. I have approx a 7x7 hole cut in either side of my ATS enclosure, and now BOTH of my fixtures are dead. I dont mind building the LEDs if necessary, but I need it to be relieable and reasonable cost. I was considering building something using the Plant growth LED clusters from Led-group-buy (I used the reef version for my tank), but those are NOT cheap. They are about $60/ea just for the LED cluster, then I need to buy drivers etc. That will likely end up costing me $250 easily for two of those. So I am asking what are you guys using??!! I need something low profile.....

These are what I was using (50w grow lamps)
http://www.stevesleds.com/Refugium-S...ems_c_108.html

Unread 11/16/2017, 11:41 PM   #9787
SantaMonica
Registered Member

Quote:
Decided to let my screen go 14 days instead of the usual 7 day scrape
That's about as long as a waterfall screen can go, before root die-off. And even then, the growth needs to be light green.

Unread 11/17/2017, 12:34 AM   #9788
Scrubber_steve
I'm really very likeable

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaMonica View Post
That's about as long as a waterfall screen can go, before root die-off. And even then, the growth needs to be light green.
Yes, wouldn't go longer than 14 days.

How was the color of the growth from my photo IYO?

Scrubber_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/19/2017, 03:57 PM   #9789
iammrhappy
Registered Member

Quote:
How are these leds from Steve?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Pizza >
iammrhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/20/2017, 12:11 AM   #9790
pleasants9
Registered Member

Has anyone tried using screen from outdoor screen enclosures?

pleasants9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/20/2017, 08:40 AM   #9791
Floyd R Turbo
Either busy or sleeping

Quote:
Originally Posted by iammrhappy View Post
How are these leds from Steve?
I'm sure they're good, I've used thousands myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by iammrhappy View Post
Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
FYI you can turn this off in your Tapatalk App. TT disabled the ability for site owners to globally disable it though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pleasants9 View Post
Has anyone tried using screen from outdoor screen enclosures?
I've seen it done, but it was a long time ago, when people were experimenting with substrates. So for nothing really seems to stand up quite as well as the plastic canvas

Unread 11/20/2017, 03:14 PM   #9792
Horace
Registered Member

Those LEDs from Steves seem AWFULLY expensive. If these LEDs that I ordered from ebay (assuming they last) are a FAR greater value.

Unread 11/21/2017, 03:02 PM   #9793
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
Those LEDs from Steves seem AWFULLY expensive. If these LEDs that I ordered from ebay (assuming they last) are a FAR greater value.
I have four of the Ebay product sitting on a shelf in my garage. After a couple months they started flashing every second. Replacements were sent but they too started to flash so I switched to stevesleds.com/.

Unread 11/23/2017, 01:50 PM   #9794
karimwassef
Registered Member

So here is my feedback on solar ATS.

It's been running for two weeks now with nearly no growth! I realize it's November and Texas isn't the brightest in terms of sunlight, but I was still expecting something.

The new outdoor tank has seen its fair share of fluctuations due to the massive move or rock, sand, coral, fish, inverts and algae... temperature variation went from 64 to 87! Most things survived though. Only a few coral died but I suspect that was mostly due to the salinity, Alk and pH swings during the moves.

So I had expected the scrubber to consume the biproduct and turn it into algae but the weak sunlight just didn't cut it. I put my PAR sensor on and here's what I see:

photo 8D529205-DDE3-47AB-A7A7-655A40EAE89F_zps7avu5bwe.jpg

So I went from 1500 PAR 24 hrs a day to a 1000 PAR for 4-6 hrs!

I do get early shading from the fence and greenhouse sides but clearly not enough.

I added 2 x 100W LEDs for 19 hours to supplement the solar... will update as I have more.

Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape
karimwassef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/23/2017, 01:52 PM   #9795
karimwassef
Registered Member

Oh and the ATS tank did tip over in the garage while moving it solo... just a little water left but I couldn't grab it in time...

photo BB4AEBF1-BC34-4F1D-B80E-3ABBF2C44AC4_zps4b2ikvva.jpg

Pods worms rubble sand and even coral bits everywhere! Thankfully, all the algae was safely secured in containers.

Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape
karimwassef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/24/2017, 08:22 PM   #9796
Floyd R Turbo
Either busy or sleeping

oops

Unread 11/24/2017, 09:00 PM   #9797
Pandagobyguy
Registered Member

"Pods worms rubble sand and even coral bits everywhere! Thankfully, all the algae was safely secured in containers."

Only on this thread could i question whether that was sarcastic or not lol

Pandagobyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/26/2017, 09:23 PM   #9798
SantaMonica
Registered Member

Weekend growth photos

Attached Images
File Type: jpg TomaszCop.jpg (88.5 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg TomaszCop2.jpg (45.3 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg Travis1787onRC-1.jpg (56.2 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg TrevorJanvier-1.jpg (46.5 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg TrevorJanvier-2.jpg (43.3 KB, 31 views)
Unread 11/27/2017, 09:20 AM   #9799
Horace
Registered Member

Quote:
Well i got impatient and bought 2 of these. They are not red, but they look to be a decent option. I chose the Warm White version

BTW, I had these running for about 4 days, and the growth has EXPLODED. I had algae hang all the way from the spray bar down 2 inches into the drain below the screen (about 10" or so). Overall I am very impressed with these lights. The center of the screen is kinda yellow, ( I was running it 24hrs ) so i just switched the photo period to 3 hours on 2 hours off. We will see how that goes for a week or so.

But for ~$20, these new lights are fantastic

Unread 11/27/2017, 10:10 AM   #9800
Southpaw007
Registered Member

I am setting up a 20 gallon fusion peninsula and my middle chamber was going to have a small chaeto fuge. I know that I won't be getting maximum efficiency out of that chamber. so can anyone think of a way to add an algae scrubber to the middle chamber? I would like it to be waterfall style but any style would work. Any ideas?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Southpaw007 is offline   Reply With Quote