Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/07/2019, 12:20 PM   #1
Rolln2low4u
Registered Member

Need Temporary Setup for Moving

I recently took a job that is requiring me to move from Reno to Detroit. I have a 360 gallon reef tank that has been up for about 2.5 years full of fish and coral. I have about 25 various fish, a 12" banded cat shark, a 30" marbled cat shark, and a 14" eel. I found a LFS that is experienced and willing to help package up everything. I have been searching in Detroit for a shop able to store the live stock for about 2 months while I resetup my tank and cycle it. I only located one shop that was able to handle the shark, but wanted $2k/month plus initial setup costs, which is way more than I can afford to spend. I am out of options and need to get a plan in place ASAP. The coral I am going to put into my sisters reef tank on a rack. I came up with the idea to buy a kids pool (100 gallons) and set it up in my basement with a cover, skimmer, sock filter, heater, powerhead, light, and air pump. I am debating about blow up over hard plastic. Any thoughts, concerns, etc that I should think about. I am open to about any suggestions.

Rolln2low4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2019, 01:38 PM   #2
LobsterOfJustice
Recovering Detritophobe

You’ve got the right idea, but do it with a Rubbermaid stock tank. You can get them from places like Tractor Supply Co, you can get a 300g one for about $300 or a 150g one for like $200. These are what I used when I moved recently, I needed to uninstall my 180g from the wall and close the hole, move to the new house, then put the tank in the wall at the new house, and move everything in. It’s a lot of transfers and back-and-forth, but it works well. You can sell the stock tank on Craigslist when you’re done and get a pretty good portion of your money back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember when zoanthids were called things like "green" and "orange" and not "reverse gorilla nipple."

Current Tank Info: 180g reef with all the bells and whistles
LobsterOfJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2019, 02:27 PM   #3
IowaReefer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LobsterOfJustice View Post
You’ve got the right idea, but do it with a Rubbermaid stock tank. You can get them from places like Tractor Supply Co, you can get a 300g one for about $300 or a 150g one for like $200. These are what I used when I moved recently, I needed to uninstall my 180g from the wall and close the hole, move to the new house, then put the tank in the wall at the new house, and move everything in. It’s a lot of transfers and back-and-forth, but it works well. You can sell the stock tank on Craigslist when you’re done and get a pretty good portion of your money back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Exactly. Set up a light and put all your corals on one side, it doesn't need to be pretty, just livable. Oh, and never go back to that LFS! What a garbage way to treat a new customer!

Current Tank Info: 60 gallon cube mixed reef
IowaReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2019, 04:27 PM   #4
herostar
Registered Member

I second the rubbermaid stock tank idea. I know lots of people who use them for sumps, acclimation, and even one guy who uses it as a frag tank with a closed-loop circulation system plumbed in through the sides.

Current Tank Info: 58g Oceanic (Est. 2007)
herostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/09/2019, 09:11 PM   #5
on the spot
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolln2low4u View Post
I have been searching in Detroit for a shop able to store the live stock for about 2 months while I resetup my tank and cycle it. I only located one shop that was able to handle the shark...
Did you try Tropicorium? Not in Detroit, but an easy drive. They do sharks.

Fast, temporary, and less expensive - 300 gallon IBC totes. Available almost everywhere. The bladder without the cage runs 10- 20 bucks, caged around 70. Cut the top off and now you have an ugly but functional temporary holding tank.

Pickle barrels smell of vinegar and work fine for storing rock - on the west side they are about 12-15 bucks each. 65 gallons, screw on tops. I use them for water, saltwater, and holding rock. Love them.

on the spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/10/2019, 09:53 PM   #6
Rolln2low4u
Registered Member

Thanks everyone. And tropicorium was the place that wanted alot of money. Found the large 300 gallon container at tractor supply. Going to put a bulkhead fitting to make an overflow to a 5 gallon bucket and then run a int sump skimmer. Isnt the perfect setup but should work for 2 months. Gonna use a current USA Orbitz led reef light so I can run a daily program.

Rolln2low4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/27/2019, 02:01 AM   #7
Gobane
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herostar View Post
I second the rubbermaid stock tank idea. I know lots of people who use them for sumps, acclimation, and even one guy who uses it as a frag tank with a closed-loop circulation system plumbed in through the sides.
Great idea!

Gobane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pool, relocating, temporary