Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/12/2011, 07:55 AM   #1
LakeGirl
Registered Member

Aptasia Solution- The Live Rock Day Spa

Over the fast several months, I've found my 125 g reef tank overrun by either Aptasia or Hydroids. They have begun irritating both fish and corals in my system. Time to go! I've tried Joe's Juice and Aptasia X. While those seem to kill the animal, several weeks following either treatment results in a bloom of many baby pests.

I've tried peppermint shrimp, however, the shrimp seem drawn to my rose bubble tip anemone (RBTA). Its like a drug! Needless to say, the shrimp last only days and then disappear. Presumably, the shrimp try to eat the RBTA, only to be eaten! I've lost dozens of shrimp over several tries at this.

So, I decided to turn my sump into a live rock day spa. The sump is currently staffed with 7 peppermint shrimp. Its been two weeks and they are amazing. I'm rotating live rock into the "spa," where the shrimp groom meticulously!

ITS WORKING!!!!

I've got just a few rocks left.. The last is massive, it weighs over 25 pounds. I'm going to have to remove my skimmer from the sump for a couple days to accomodate this large piece. It was time for a spring cleaning anyway!

I should be done in the next week, at which point I'll have to move the shrimp upstairs. I hope they stay away from the RBTA, but if history is any lesson....

LakeGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/12/2011, 07:57 AM   #2
Sugar Magnolia
Registered Member

Great job! It will be wonderful to finally be rid of the aiptasia.

The only thing to fear is fear itself....and spiders.
Sugar Magnolia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/12/2011, 07:59 AM   #3
usctrack
Registered Member

Does the size of the aptasia seem to matter to the peppermint shrimp? I have a 40B frag tank that is being taken over and want to get some Peppermint or just spring for the berghia and just wait for them to colonize and wipe them out. It might be a two pronged approach.

Unread 04/12/2011, 08:01 AM   #4
LakeGirl
Registered Member

Thanks Sugar Magnolia. Size doesn't matter, the peppermint shrimp go after any size aiptasia!

I'm amazed how they seem to completely clean a large colony overnight!

LakeGirl is offline   Reply With Quote