Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/27/2017, 10:47 AM   #26
rsucre
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmz View Post
Personally , I'd leave it there for a while or even reduce it a little,given the 0 PO4 and siphon out any detritus that may have accumulated in the sand.
Thank you buddy! I have been restraining from feeding. Maybe I can leave the vinegar dose there, not reduce it, and start feeding a little (just a little) more given the zero phosphates? Now the thing is the NO3 that I would like to see a little lower.

Last edited by rsucre; 08/27/2017 at 03:30 PM. Reason: clarification
rsucre is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/27/2017, 03:26 PM   #27
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmz View Post
Thanks for picking that up. I used the 210 system volume and then mistakenly divided it by the total dose when I should have divided the dose by the system volume. I'll edit my post accordingly
Not a problem at all. We all do make a mistake from time to time. I get 165 by deducting for rocks and sand and the sump is 4 inches from the top for flow back from the DT. Found a calculator around here once.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/04/2017, 04:53 PM   #28
rsucre
Registered Member

Hi. Following up. I have been dosing 10ml per day of Vinegar for a week now (up from 7ml per day). Still have Cyano on the sandbed. PO4 is now at 0.03 ppm and NO4 is up at 3 ppm.

What do you recommend? Should I increase the dose?

Just as a reminder, the tank is 20 gal. with 10 gal. sump aprox. 22 gal. water volume total.

Unread 09/04/2017, 06:03 PM   #29
bertoni
RC Mod

Increase the dose a bit should be fine. How are the corals (if any) doing?

Unread 09/04/2017, 06:45 PM   #30
rsucre
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertoni View Post
Increase the dose a bit should be fine. How are the corals (if any) doing?
Hi Jonathan,

Overall, the coral are doing well. They are coloring up a bit in the last couple of weeks. For instance, my red montipora capricornis was pale and now it is bright red. But still, I think that most of my coral have too much brown (zooxanthellae?) color in them. A mystic sunset frag that was not doing well is also coloring up and growing.

Also, I think that the green hair algae is becoming weaker.

Unread 09/04/2017, 08:35 PM   #31
bertoni
RC Mod

I think that increasing the dose should be fine, but I'd keep watching the corals for signs of problems.

Unread 09/06/2017, 11:42 AM   #32
Horace
Registered Member

i used to use vodka too, and yes i did also get a bit of cyano. What I have read recently is that studies have shown that Vodka and its associated carbon source encourages cyano. But more importantly is it INHIBITS the bacteria that converts Nitrate to Nitrogen gas. For that reason alone I would say it should be avoided. Since Vinegar does NOT promote cyano, and it also ENCOURAGES growth of the types of beneficial bacteria we want to convert NO3...there is really no reason to use any vodka. The only downside to Vinegar is if you have issues with low pH. Otherwise, its the preferred choice from everything I have read lately.

Current Tank Info: New 180g Mixed SPS Build in progress
Horace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/06/2017, 12:01 PM   #33
rsucre
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horace View Post
i used to use vodka too, and yes i did also get a bit of cyano. What I have read recently is that studies have shown that Vodka and its associated carbon source encourages cyano. But more importantly is it INHIBITS the bacteria that converts Nitrate to Nitrogen gas. For that reason alone I would say it should be avoided. Since Vinegar does NOT promote cyano, and it also ENCOURAGES growth of the types of beneficial bacteria we want to convert NO3...there is really no reason to use any vodka. The only downside to Vinegar is if you have issues with low pH. Otherwise, its the preferred choice from everything I have read lately.
Thanks for the feedback Kurt. Can you share how do you decide how much vinegar to dose? What do you monitor and whats the logic behind increasing or decreasing your dose.

Unread 09/06/2017, 01:07 PM   #34
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsucre View Post
Thanks for the feedback Kurt. Can you share how do you decide how much vinegar to dose? What do you monitor and whats the logic behind increasing or decreasing your dose.
Use this guide. Just multiply by 8 - the amount of vinegar to equal 1 unit of vodka.

I start you must be patient and follow the program. It took almost 12 week before NO3 started to come down for me.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
Unread 09/06/2017, 07:32 PM   #35
rsucre
Registered Member

Thanks Gary. I know the guide from Genetics. I wanted to know if you had an alternative methodology. I have been carbon dosing since early stages of this tank (about 1 year). Started with NOPOX, then DIY NOPOX (vinegar - vodka blend) and now switched to vinegar only. Dosing via dosing pump.

Unread 09/06/2017, 08:24 PM   #36
bertoni
RC Mod

The guide is very conservative. You could try ramping up the carbon more rapidly. I'd be careful to watch for bacterial slime buildups, though.

Unread 09/06/2017, 09:18 PM   #37
tmz
ReefKeeping Mag staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horace View Post
What have you read?

The carbon source from vodka and vinegar is the same ;it's acetate.
Neither has any direct relationship to the bacteria that take oxygen from nitrate leading to nitrogen gas formation . The bacteria that use the acetate for a carbon source limit the supply of nitrate since they take ammonia preferentially for nitrogen in a once step process without ammonia oxidation and nitrate production; they may also use some nitrate for the nitrogen not the oxygen.

Both vodka and vinegar reduce pH at about the same rate long term but viengar/acetic acid causes initial precipitous drops in pH when it is dosed. Vodka/ ethanol does not since it needs some time to oxidize to vinegar/acetic acid.

Need to go add my nightly vodka dose .

Current Tank Info: Tank of the Month , November 2011 : 600gal integrated system: 3 display tanks (120 g, 90g, 89g),several frag/grow out tanks, macroalgae refugia, cryptic zones. 40+ fish, seahorses, sps,lps,leathers, zoanthidae and non photosynthetic corals.

Last edited by tmz; 09/06/2017 at 09:30 PM.
tmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/07/2017, 07:16 AM   #38
hkgar
Registered Member

I dose me with vodka and the tank with vinegar - the fish just can't handle their alcohol.

Actually I dose a 50/50, but had to say that.

Unread 09/07/2017, 10:10 AM   #39
tmz
ReefKeeping Mag staff

When you self dose vodka the tank and parameters just look better.

Current Tank Info: Tank of the Month , November 2011 : 600gal integrated system: 3 display tanks (120 g, 90g, 89g),several frag/grow out tanks, macroalgae refugia, cryptic zones. 40+ fish, seahorses, sps,lps,leathers, zoanthidae and non photosynthetic corals.
tmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/07/2017, 10:12 AM   #40
rsucre
Registered Member

Yep... the effects of self dosing with vodka...

Unread 09/07/2017, 11:59 AM   #41
hkgar
Registered Member

Yup everything can look better but if you over dose than things look pretty bad in the morning. Always dose responsibly.

Tags
carbon dosing, dosing, nopox, vinegar, vodka